True or False? A Calorie is a Calorie is a Calorie.

Options

Replies

• TinySeal95
    TinySeal95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein speeds your metabolism and fat gets you into ketosis so those both have benefits that sugar doesn't...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    IN!
    Cat-Slides-Down-Banister-Into-Basket_zps85365145.gif
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Interesting thoughts on both sides! I don't really have any investment, either way. I'm not planning to go paleo any time soon. I did try vegan and found it a bit more labor intensive than I care for and proteins ended up lacking because I just got sick of beans. But otherwise, I had no complaints. I do prefer to work out a balanced diet regime that works for me. Sometimes that includes meat or fish and sometimes it doesn't. I think I have more issues with portion control than on where those calories are coming from.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do so desperately miss the Ignore button.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie..but...the source of our calories are very different, and it matters greatly. For mere weight loss, eat whatever but have a slight deficit. For weight loss and optimal health, you need to give attention to the source of your calories.
    A simple example:

A bowl of white sugar = 400 calories
    A bowl of grapes and a salad with olive oil and lemon juice = 400 calories

The energy is the same, but the nutrition is different.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    celestlyn wrote: »
    So it begs the question, is excess sugar calories better than excess fat calories? Or does the end result make no difference? I'm only asking because I wondered if there is less risk if I blow the diet and eat a candy bar instead of an extra slice of pizza. Not that I'm planning to do either one. It's just something I'm curious about. I'm pretty new to MFP, so I apologise if this is redundant and has already been posted somewhere. Anyone have thoughts?

Fat supposedly takes fewer calories to digest than carbs and carbs fewer than protein. So if you compare one particular candy bar (Herseys) to a slice of one particular pepperoni pizza (Papa John's), you get 260 calories of which 104 are carbs and 117 are fat vs. 210 calories of which 104 are carbs, 72 are fat, and 32 are protein. Thus, you'd get fewer calories from the pizza, even if you only ate 80% of the candy bar to neutralize the beginning difference in stated calories. Obviously, the differences from calories burned in digestion are minimal and easily outweighed by differences in the number of calories consumed. Either way you'd be over your goal but probably under maintenance, so it would probably just slow down your loss rate. Neither would ruin your diet if you stayed in a deficit; both would ruin your diet (as would some extra steak or roasted chicken) if you consistently ate them so that you were in excess of your maintenance calories.

All "a calorie is a calorie" means is that for the purposes of weight loss there is no magic formula, it's a matter of calories in and calories out. How you personally react to the foods containing the calories, how they make you feel, how easy it is to sustain a deficit while eating them obviously does differ, and a calorie is a calorie does not state otherwise.

If your friends' argument is that certain kinds of foods won't cause weight gain eaten in any amount or that other foods will act like fat pills in any amount and cause you to gain on 1200 or some such, does that really seem reasonable?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    lorib642 wrote: »

In b4 prettykitty starts claiming members on MFP claim we recommend people eat a diet of all donuts but yet He never provides proof.

Prettykitty, is this going to be the thread where you actually back your claims with evidence? Is it? Don't just say studies or evidence exists. Bring it forward.
    You don't recommend the Twinkie diet?

Of course I remember. But that's not my point.

I know you remember. But my point was that even though a calorie is a calorie or IIFYM you aren't suggesting eating donuts all day. Just being silly, sorry
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    In for Twinkies.

hyde-twinkie-o.gif
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Nobody is going to claim that carbs are processed exactly like fat, or that fat is processed exactly like protein. The body treats all of these things slightly differently, obviously.

But a Calorie is a unit of measure for energy. A gram of carbs yields roughly 4 Calories for the body. Protein about 4, fat about 9. They are just different sources of income. It's like if you have 3 different jobs, when it came time to pay bills you really wouldn't care about anything other than if there was enough money in your account. In a month's time you have to make a certain amount from the combination of the 3 jobs in order to pay bills. It doesn't matter which job brought in the most money.

Your body is constantly using energy, and if you've given it more than it can use for right now, it just saves it for later, in some form. Usually we're talking about fat storage, but you also store glycogen (carbs) in your muscles and liver, and you could say building muscle is a way of storing protein.

Personally, I would be less concerned with the form in which the energy was consumed and focus more on the amount (the Calorie value). There's a time and place to manage macronutrients, but it means next to nothing if you don't have the big picture (Calorie balance).

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I used to agree that a calorie was a calorie. So I bought a box of sweet cereal. I weighed and measured as always and that week I was up 2 lbs. My only gain in over 160 days. There was no other excuse for that weight gain except for the lucky charms.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Now if you want to talk macros (protein/fat/carbs) thats a different story. Tell your nephew that it's not calories it's macros he's wanting to talk about how they react in the body.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I used to agree that a calorie was a calorie. So I bought a box of sweet cereal. I weighed and measured as always and that week I was up 2 lbs. My only gain in over 160 days. There was no other excuse for that weight gain except for the lucky charms.

Or a normal weight fluctuation.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    My .02 cents worth (not worth much to anyone else but me). For me, (and I am a snowflake), I got obese by overeating too much of everything, I did not discriminate against any food, I ate too much of them all. I became a "normal" sized old lady over the past 2-1/2 years by eating less of all the same foods. I eat less than I burn. Lesson learned by this old lady. It is working for me. I am happy, my family is happy and my doctor is happy with the results. That is my bottom line.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie..but...the source of our calories are very different, and it matters greatly. For mere weight loss, eat whatever but have a slight deficit. For weight loss and optimal health, you need to give attention to the source of your calories.
    A simple example:

A bowl of white sugar = 400 calories
    A bowl of grapes and a salad with olive oil and lemon juice = 400 calories

The energy is the same, but the nutrition is different.
    The problem is we are talking about energy not nutrition. No one is making the claims the nutritional values are equal.
    Right, nobody said it...but they were thinking it!
    lv3w6sr59z3t.gif