Would you ever date a co worker.........?

Options
Tanie98
Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member

I have had few co workers ask me out and I always turn them down because I am not comfotable dating someone I work with.I just don't want to mix business with pleasure.Is anyone the same way?

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. It is always bad news to date a coworker, too much baggage (and drama) that goes along with it. You made the right decision.
  • awesomedjmcvey
    awesomedjmcvey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Never mix work and pleasure! if something goes wrong both become HELL
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Not only did I date one I married him and he's the love of my life.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have dated a few in the past. I married the last coworker I dated and we're still married 22+ years later.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Dated several, married one. 23+ years!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've done it before, and it was a mistake.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Same department- no. Different department/area- good to go.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have. The biggest key is the maturity level of both parties. If they're not mature enough, you run the risk of your business being company business.

I would also be perfectly clear what the privacy expectations are...aka who if anyone can know about it. I personally kept mine pretty quiet for quite a while, but eventually it got out.

I would also recommend defining clearly that at work, you're just coworkers. If you're a couple in front of everyone, it becomes everyone's business.

Good luck :smile:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I've dated a lot of co-workers. Fertile hunting ground. I dated two co-workers that I married. Then divorced.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it, regardless of the maturity level, working in different departments, etc. I just think that working together, living together etc. is a lot of time to spend with your S/O. I think it is healthy to have time apart.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Why limit yourself. How do you know the one you are meant to spend the rest of your life with isn't also a co-worker?

I not only dated but I married her and 20 years later am still working with her. We have changed jobs a couple times but because we have similar work fields we both would change at the same time.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I've been with my co-worker SO for over 6 years.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    That's how I met the only man I ever loved, way back in 1985... it didn't last, but it was tons of fun because in-office dating was verboten so we had to sneak around... when I was late for work because I'd stayed over at his place I couldn't tell the truth about why I wasn't on time... he was handsome and exciting and funny and I wouldn't trade the memories of that year for anything! I ended up moving out of state after we split up so we were no longer co-workers; I can see how that could have been a serious problem.

RHB, wherever you are, I still love you..........
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    That's how I met the only man I ever loved, way back in 1985... it didn't last, but it was tons of fun because in-office dating was verboten so we had to sneak around... when I was late for work because I'd stayed over at his place I couldn't tell the truth about why I wasn't on time... he was handsome and exciting and funny and I wouldn't trade the memories of that year for anything! I ended up moving out of state after we split up so we were no longer co-workers; I can see how that could have been a serious problem.

RHB, wherever you are, I still love you..........

I loved this!!!
  • Kisuke30
    Kisuke30 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Seeing as how I work 24 hour shifts, we'd never get a break from each other. I would think that would be unhealthy for a relationship.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »

I have had few co workers ask me out and I always turn them down because I am not comfotable dating someone I work with.I just don't want to mix business with pleasure.Is anyone the same way?

Obviously they're not hot enough or you wouldn't even be asking this question.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I have a strict hands off attitude, besides I do not think my wife would see the humor in it, she is sensitive that way (shrug).
  • staceybradleywells
    staceybradleywells Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't but to each their own.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Date? no. Bang? yes.