New to MFP. Strength training not for me? Am I alone?

Options

Replies

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    jvs125 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Is this all just subjective? Based on you feel and/or think you look? Are you taking measurements?

When you say you gain weight? How much and over what period of time?

I gained about 6 pounds over the month I was trying it. I injured myself (just pinched a nerved) and stopped until it got better, doing my spinning instead to keep active. Over about 10 days, I lost 3 of the 6 gained. Of course there could be other factors, which is why I started logging my food intake to see where I stand.

You gained 6 pounds in a month? That could easily be fluid retention from exercise or sodium intake, hormonal changes, or over eating. Honestly, it was probably a combination of all of those. Especially since you weren't logging your food. Without tracking, you have absolutely no way of knowing that you were eating in a deficit. And without a deficit, you won't lose weight.

I would urge you to look into a compound lifting routine, coupled with spinning, and logging all of your food. If you are consistent with logging and exercise, you will get the results you want.

This! Log all your food, find a compound lifting routine and stick with it for over a month and I bet you'll change your tune.

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I would suggest some kind of high intensity circuit training. If you are doing cardio and strength, you shouldn't be getting "pudgy".
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Quick gains and losses are explained by water fluctuations. A new strength program will give you an in erase in size for a short period of time, ~2 weeks, because of increased water in the muscles. As you get used to the program the body becomes efficient at repair and doesn't need to hold as much water.

This ^ - you'd have to eat approximately 677 cal over maintenance per day to gain six lbs of fat in a month. Whereas my weight this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) went from 175 on Friday to 180 on Sun - to 177 on Tuesday and down to 175 after my run on Weds.

I'm always a couple of lbs heavier the day after a run or strength training. I weigh myself right after exercise and that is what I consider to be closest to my "true" weight.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    you'll see. just wait.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Anyway... I am pretty fit, workout a lot. All the research and science seem to favour strength training over cardio nowadays, so I decided to try it out.. It seems that everytime I focus on strength over cardio, I get larger, can't fit in my clothes properly and look pudgier all over. I also gain weight, like, a lot!
    Then don't use strength training as a reason to overeat.

You know that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I would suggest some kind of high intensity circuit training. If you are doing cardio and strength, you shouldn't be getting "pudgy".
    Are exercise videos really strength training?
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Are exercise videos really strength training?

I didn't say anything about exercise videos. Circuit training can be done with weights.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Anyway... I am pretty fit, workout a lot. All the research and science seem to favour strength training over cardio nowadays, so I decided to try it out.. It seems that everytime I focus on strength over cardio, I get larger, can't fit in my clothes properly and look pudgier all over. I also gain weight, like, a lot!

You know that.

get out of here with that logic.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do both, but if I had to choose, I'd do strength training; my best long term results come from heavy lifting. That said, when you start lifting, you'll see scale gains. In the beginning, this will be water weight. But, as muscle is denser than fat, you'll see scale gains because you have more muscle mass. This won't mean that you'll be large, just leaner if you've lost body fat during this process.

Ignore the scale. The scale is a big, fat, dirty liar.

PS- it can take 6-8 weeks to see lifting results, so be patient and keep lifting.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

You know that.

Pfft. Whatever. I go on a 2 day bulk cycle during thanksgiving and Christmas. My gainz are amazing!
  • JoRocka
    Options

You know that.

Pfft. Whatever. I go on a 2 day bulk cycle during thanksgiving and Christmas. My gainz are amazing!

I have a one day a week refeed- my gainz are also... amazing. coughcough

something about all you can eat sushi and or all you can eat brazillian steak house. it's a disease- I can't be held responsible.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I think circuit training for women is a great routine to increase strength and lean muscle mass. I don't do it because I like to focus centrally on specific muscle groups each day and then move to the next. Most guys strength train to increase muscle size and many women see that and immediately get turned off by strength training because they don't want to turn into a guy. You will gain some weight (at least in the beginning) with strength training due to muscle fatigue stimulating water retention in the muscle fibers but a good diet (low on sodium) and plenty of water will usually flush that away over time.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

You know that.

I have a one day a week refeed- my gainz are also... amazing. coughcough

something about all you can eat sushi and or all you can eat brazillian steak house. it's a disease- I can't be held responsible.

All you can eat sushi in Oklahoma will cause rapid weight loss, if you catch my drift. Lol. Oh how I miss good sushi.
  • JoRocka
    edited October 2014
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    I think circuit training for women is a great routine to increase strength and lean muscle mass. I don't do it because I like to focus centrally on specific muscle groups each day and then move to the next. Most guys strength train to increase muscle size and many women see that and immediately get turned off by strength training because they don't want to turn into a guy. You will gain some weight (at least in the beginning) with strength training due to muscle fatigue stimulating water retention in the muscle fibers but a good diet (low on sodium) and plenty of water will usually flush that away over time.
    what??

All you can eat sushi in Oklahoma will cause rapid weight loss, if you catch my drift. Lol. Oh how I miss good sushi.
    !!!!

oh NOES!!!!

Fortunately NYC/Tri-State area has a booming harbor fishing economy- so we have really good fish here for the most part. I'm a fish snob.
    :D mmhmmm sushi.

nomnomnmo
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    all you can eat brazillian steak house

winner.

/thread

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    what??

A high sodium diet makes you retain water due to the high sodium content in your blood. Muscle damage causes the body to pump fluids to the site to initiate repair. A lot of water dilutes the sodium in your body and is evacuated along with lactic acids in the muscle fibers. Yes, drink a lot of water to get rid of water weight. Seems counter-intuitive to some.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    It's not one or the other, it's doing both. You need to do cardio for endurance and to help with fat loss, and weight lifting will build muscle and core strength as well as tone up areas where you are losing fat -- check out StrongLifts 5x5 for an example routine and keep up with the spinning classes.

um...no. I will never do any weight-lifting...sorry.

I'm clutching my pearls.

• DjinnMarie
    Options
    what??

!!!!

oh NOES!!!!

Fortunately NYC/Tri-State area has a booming harbor fishing economy- so we have really good fish here for the most part. I'm a fish snob.
    :D mmhmmm sushi.

nomnomnmo

Malbec doesn't pair well with sushi. Lol
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Do it anyways. :)

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/why/
    Health benefits of resistance training

Physical and mental health benefits that can be achieved through resistance training include:
    improved muscle strength and tone – to protect your joints from injury. It also helps you maintain flexibility and balance and helps you remain independent as you age
    weight management and increased muscle-to-fat ratio – as you gain muscle, your body burns more kilojoules when at rest
    greater stamina – as you grow stronger, you won’t get tired as easily
    prevention or control of chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, back pain, depression and obesity
    pain management
    improved mobility and balance
    improved posture
    decreased risk of injury
    increased bone density and strength and reduced risk of osteoporosis
    improved sense of wellbeing – resistance training may boost your self-confidence, improve your body image and your mood
    a better night’s sleep and avoidance of insomnia
    increased self-esteem
    enhanced performance of everyday tasks.