I can't ever seem to stay under my calories!!!

Options
AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

*pants* :(

1400 doesn't ever seem to be enough calories. I'm always going over! I'm short (5'2") and weigh 147lbs (so overweight according to most charts, I *should* weight around 130lbs) so every gram shows on my frame, and every weight loss calculator tells me I need to eat only 1200 calories AND exercise intensively to lose weight. One calculator even put my on 900 calories :\

I just can't go that low, I would either faint or kill someone from being so hangry!

Anyway, just venting my frustration. I guess all I can do is stick at 1400 calories and up my exercise. Hopefully the lbs start melting off soon!

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Are you planning the day in advance?
  • NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    Nope, I only log as I eat. The red numbers are off putting but by the time dinner rolls around my stomach is rumbling loud enough for the neighbours to hear and I'm starting to get shaky,,,
  • logg1e
    Options
    Why don't you try three days of planning the day in advance, in order to prevent going over?
  • logg1e
    Options
    Or, indeed, going shaky.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try exercise more. This way you get extra calories you can eat. About hour of workout should give you 300-600 extra calories. This is what I do :wink:
  • Fredbruin
    Options
    Try the Jenny Craig diet. It’s a bit pricey, but you get put on a 1200 calorie per day diet based on food you buy from them. After a while you realize you can buy the same food cheaper at the market so you just use the JC menu plans and buy your own food at your local market.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    If your calories are that low, then eat more whole foods. Rely more on vegetables as the major composition of your meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Fredbruin wrote: »
    Try the Jenny Craig diet. It’s a bit pricey, but you get put on a 1200 calorie per day diet based on food you buy from them. After a while you realize you can buy the same food cheaper at the market so you just use the JC menu plans and buy your own food at your local market.

DON'T TRY JENNY CRAIG.
    But yeah, I second logging in advance, That way you can plan for treats etc. I end up logging nearly my whole week on Sunday nights.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more foods that don't take your calories away as you go throughout your day. Fill up on low calorie foods like veggies, pickles, fruits and so forth so you will feel fuller but not go over on calories. So long story short.......eat better foods.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    1400 calories is more than enough to keep you full. Swap out junk food for more healthy stuff, like fresh fruits and veggies. Drink water. Eat lean, white meat. Whole grain breads. Low or no-fat dairy.

It is really hard to get to 1400 every day if you eat only healthy food. You're just so stuffed.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I agree with @awesomejdad eat some salads and fill up on veggies etc. I think 1400 should be quite manageable. Obviously everyone is different though. Also as previously mentioned try to do a little exercise like walking for half an hour, this will earn u more cals to munch.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I put your stats in here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and it says while eating 1431 a day and not exercising you can lose 37lb in a year. So if you were willing to lose your 17lb a little more slowly, you could eat a bit more and if you were exercising you could eat a little bit more too.

How much are you trying to lose per week? Maybe you could scale it back a bit so that day-to-day eating feels more achievable.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fat has never 'melted' off me... I've always had to work for it... and that work includes planning my day so I hit my calories and macros!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    could you consider not eating the Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Balls?

maybe have an oreo instead?

you'd save hundreds of calories

:grinning:
  • dxc92
    dxc92 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    At the weekend make soup to eat at lunches through the week. Soup is so easy to make and if you make a low calorie soup, you can't really go wrong! I find it hard to get up to my calorie goal when I have soup for lunch.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You're really not doing bad... Looks like you just started logging again this week and you've only gone over once since you upped your calories to 1400. I go over by as much a 1K sometimes so 150ish calories isn't too big of a deal considering you were well under the other days. stick to the 1400 for a bit and see if you can maintain that. Start to work more fruits and veggies into your diet and in a month or 2 check our your progress and tweak as necessary.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are taking some plan then it is well and good, but always remember that how much calorie you are taking that much you have to lose also.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruit, veg, potatoes, and legumes.
    Pssst... Go vegan haha I always tell this to people whenever they want more food for their calories.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    dxc92 wrote: »
    At the weekend make soup to eat at lunches through the week. Soup is so easy to make and if you make a low calorie soup, you can't really go wrong! I find it hard to get up to my calorie goal when I have soup for lunch.

Omg yes I do this all the time. Plus it's easier for your body to digest.
    Just make sure it's home made soup. If you're too busy to make soup, buy organic. Most pre made soups have oil, preservatives, and loads of sodium.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    whoops wrong thread