Still paleo

Options
BoxerBrawler
BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
A few weeks ago I posted about the Paleo diet and some of the comments told me I was still on the honeymoon and that I would get sick of it and fall off track and eating all the healthy foods I want would cause weight gain and blah, blah, blah. Well I am still strict Paleo and it just keeps getting better! Yes, it can get costly and there is some time involved with food prep but it's worth it. I have never felt better and considering the fact that my husband just had major surgery, I lost my dog of 11 years and my mother is dying all in one month, I've been able to stay on track and I feel that my Paleo nutrition has helped a great deal with not gaining weight back and preventing stress eating and cravings...

I think the reason people are either afraid to try Paleo or don't stick with it is because they are too focused on what they have to give up vs. what they can have. I know one of my biggest things in the beginning was "omg how am I going to live without my greek yogurt!" But I gave it up cold turkey and low and behold I don't even think about it. It didn't bother me in the least. I also had the old school thought of "If I eat fat, I'll get fat". That couldn't be further from the truth. As long as you're eating healthy fats.

I have not had grains of any kind or added sugars or anything fake or processed in over a month and I don't miss it in the least. I have no desires or cravings for any of that stuff. I am much more satisfied with bacon and eggs and veggies and avocado in the morning than I am with a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. Most days I don't even think about food or feel truly hungry again until after noon time and snacks? I don't need them. I have learned to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I no longer try to eat snacks throughout the day based on nutritional advice or a program. I mean really, why would I eat a snack if I'm not hungry for one? It makes no sense.

Paleo has also helped me to develop a whole new outlook on all of the wonderful and delicious natural foods out there. I take great pleasure in everything I cook and food has never tasted better.

I still try to track and be aware of my calories but eating Paleo makes it very easy to stay within a calorie goal and hit macros naturally. I find that my body wastes nothing because the foods I putting in it are what my body needs to function and survive. There are no additives or chemicals, no processing agents, nothing my body doesn't recognize. It doesn't have to figure out what it is and/or store it for later use.

And leftovers have a whole new meaning. I love eating a big "breakfast salad" with meat leftover from the night before. I find that nothing in my fridge gets wasted anymore. By the end of the week when I'm ready to grocery shop again everything is pretty much used up and if I do have left overs, well, I make myself a garbage soup!

My Sunday food prep has become as simple as making a giant Paleo Chili for the week, boiling up a dozen eggs and cooking a few proteins. Aside from that I just make sure I have all of the veggies, nuts, seeds, some fruits, avocados and items like that in stock for the week. That's it. My trips to the grocery store have gotten quick as well. Produce, meat and fish counter, spices, oils and I'm out! I have no need to go up and down isles at all. Of course my grocery bill has gone up but once you're eating grass fed meats you can't go back LOL.

If you've thought about going Paleo I encourage you to start your journey :)

Replies

• chissnazura
    chissnazura Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would like to start off by saying I am so sorry to hear about the month you are having and wish you all the best. I'm so proud of you for being able to stick with a strict diet. It shows your strengths.
    I did the whole 30 a couple of times now and try to stay as Paleo as I can. Last year I did it for eight months and lost 50 pounds (most of it was right away). I felt great. Then, I started getting dizzy, and my stomach would hurt. I decided it was my diet and gave up.
    A couple of months into eating grains and sugars again I became very sick and ended up in the hospital. After an endoscopy and colonoscopy I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease. Now, I maintain a gluten-free diet. I find myself avoiding grains, dairy, and refined sugars. However, I still eat yogurt and occasionally ice cream. I love the Paleo Mom's blog. She talks about going Paleo but still having "treats" now and then. She also talks about contracting your diet to the point where you can't enjoy food anymore.

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thanks so much for the kind words, we are strong and hanging in there!

I truly due contribute my strength and focus to my nutrition. If not for Paleo I think I would have gone off the deep end and just started eating everything in sight!

I am sorry you had medical issues and yes, I contribute a lot of conditions to grains/wheat. I've been following wheat belly for a while and it makes so much sense. Biology and science doesn't lie!

A lot of my fitness friends do the four hour body or they do a modified version of Paleo where they include one free day per week. I haven't done that yet and I've found that when I do have a "freebie" or a "treat" it just makes me sick :( so it's not really worth it!

It just amazes me how strong and efficient your body can get when you're eating the foods a body was meant to eat!

Keep in touch and let me know how things are going.
  • vtroys
    vtroys Posts: 16
    Options
    Sorry about everything happening in your life, but I'm happy to hear your staying on task with Paleo - kudos! I think you hit the nail on the head -- folks stress too much about what they can't have and don't appreciate all that they can have.

I'm not perfect on Paleo, but I do try very hard. Have you seen the cookbook Against All Grain? I love it! I do find Paleo style eating is more time consuming on the prep, but I think its' worth it. I struggle for breakfast options but I enjoy a salad or soup both with protein for lunch with homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing and a protein and 2 veggies for dinner. I don't really like veggies, but I'm coming to enjoy roasted veggies. I'd love to find new ways to eat them. I've decreased processed foods and grains for my kids too, but I haven't removed them completely. At dinner they have a protein and 2 veggies too.....I figure they've eaten enough grains during the day that they can enjoy a simple dinner at night. My 8 yr old will ask "mom, what is our rice tonight?" I say "none tonight, just our 2 veggies." He's fine with it, he just checks in. :)

But really, I'm fine without eating bread or grains at night. I'm not a big cereal fan because it doesn't fill me up. I drink a glass of milk when i really crave it, which is like once a week. I concentrate on clean eating, healthy eating and it includes fruits/veggies, protein, fats.

Heading to the butchers for our 1/2 grass fed cow. I agree - once you eat grass fed, you can't go back!

Love your positive post. Any ideas on breakfast or veggies, do share! Always looking for new ideas.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.
  • themichaelshane
    themichaelshane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    vtroys wrote: »
    Any ideas on breakfast or veggies, do share! Always looking for new ideas.

I've been 80/20 "paleo" for about 2 years now... I found that my cravings to eat more have subsided and subsequently it doesn't take much to get me full anymore... even tho you can completely pig out on paleo and not worry about the consequences... anyway, what i'm getting at is that I have found my breakfast meals have gotten smaller and a homemade protein shake in the NutriBullet does the trick. Kale, nuts, avocado, bananas, etc are enough to keep me until lunch or a little snack (nuts n stuff) in between - add in Hemp Protein and you've got a full meal. I keep bags of organic frozen antioxidant rich berries in my freezer so i don't have to worry about them spoiling. Coconut Milk yogurt from Trader Joe's is also a nice treat.

Xx
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Is protein powder really allowed as part of a strict paleo diet? I don't really know that much about it but thought the premise was non processed foods that cave men used to eat. Not taking the p!ss just interested.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Is protein powder really allowed as part of a strict paleo diet? I don't really know that much about it but thought the premise was non processed foods that cave men used to eat. Not taking the p!ss just interested.
    As long as the label says its paleo, then its ok. Paleo man wasn't just some dummy, they were smart businessmen and marketing geniuses.

• trinatrina1984
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    As long as the label says its paleo, then its ok. Paleo man wasn't just some dummy, they were smart businessmen and marketing geniuses.
    Hmm I think I'll wait until Domino's start labelling themselves as paleo before I consider it.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Red Bull said it would give me wings; I'm still waiting, but pretty sure it'll happen. Then I'll just fly away. And eat worms, since they are paleo.
    Not for native North Americans.
    Earthworms are an invasive European species so, that's right out.

• trinatrina1984
    Options

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

Well with all due respect you can't say you are strict paleo if you're eating non paleo foods. That's like saying I'm a strict vegetarian that has the occasional steak

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

First of all I'm not dissing your diet. I am truly glad that you are eating healthier and have found a diet that you can stick with.

I did look at more than one day. You are not eating according to the paleo diet. You frequently eat tomatoes, which are a nightshade vegetable, as are peppers. Nightshade vegetables are discouraged on the paleo diet.

You eat apples nearly every day and sometimes more than one. Paleo says to eat apples only occasionally because they are high in sugar.

There is no such thing as unprocessed bacon, and certainly not unprocessed turkey bacon. Number of ingredients does not determine whether something is processed.

Kudos to you for eating more whole natural foods. But, I honestly do not understand why so many people on this site praise the paleo diet when they don't seem able stick to it's overly restrictive rules.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've been Paleo (no I don't like the name of the lifestyle either, but there are other stupid names out there so I'm not sure why it becomes such a huge issue for some people) almost two and a half years and have nothing but good experiences, not just for myself but for my high needs child as well.... btw OP, it would be terrific if you would post that in the Primal/Paleo support group too. I'd love to comment in more detail but prefer not to do so here. :)
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did look at more than one day. You are not eating according to the paleo diet. You frequently eat tomatoes, which are a nightshade vegetable, as are peppers. Nightshade vegetables are discouraged on the paleo diet.

You eat apples nearly every day and sometimes more than one. Paleo says to eat apples only occasionally because they are high in sugar.
    You might be confusing Paleo with the Autoimmune Protocol. These are not the same thing. The restrictions you're talking about with Nightshades do not exist in general with Non-autoimmune protocol Paleo. Fruit restrictions also do not exist; it is mentioned to limit fruit intake on Paleo only if you're attempting to lose weight (yes, due to the sugar content).

There is Paleo approved bacon out there, people. It's expensive, but it contains no non-Paleo additives (including the sugar found in most bacon). Processed food is also not inherently out--you simply have to find those processed foods which adhere to the rules. Some examples include Laughing Giraffe Snakaroons and Caveman Cookies. These options are not Whole30 approved, but Whole30 is entirely more strict than Paleo.

There's a lot of misinformation floating around in this thread :/
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    vtroys wrote: »
    Sorry about everything happening in your life, but I'm happy to hear your staying on task with Paleo - kudos! I think you hit the nail on the head -- folks stress too much about what they can't have and don't appreciate all that they can have.

I'm not perfect on Paleo, but I do try very hard. Have you seen the cookbook Against All Grain? I love it! I do find Paleo style eating is more time consuming on the prep, but I think its' worth it. I struggle for breakfast options but I enjoy a salad or soup both with protein for lunch with homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing and a protein and 2 veggies for dinner. I don't really like veggies, but I'm coming to enjoy roasted veggies. I'd love to find new ways to eat them. I've decreased processed foods and grains for my kids too, but I haven't removed them completely. At dinner they have a protein and 2 veggies too.....I figure they've eaten enough grains during the day that they can enjoy a simple dinner at night. My 8 yr old will ask "mom, what is our rice tonight?" I say "none tonight, just our 2 veggies." He's fine with it, he just checks in. :)

But really, I'm fine without eating bread or grains at night. I'm not a big cereal fan because it doesn't fill me up. I drink a glass of milk when i really crave it, which is like once a week. I concentrate on clean eating, healthy eating and it includes fruits/veggies, protein, fats.

Heading to the butchers for our 1/2 grass fed cow. I agree - once you eat grass fed, you can't go back!

Love your positive post. Any ideas on breakfast or veggies, do share! Always looking for new ideas.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've noticed the typical "Ya but nay sayer comments", but I'm going to just ignore them. I never said I was perfectly Paleo, just trying to adhere to a strict Paleo diet. Don't be misguided by some of my diary entries. I'm not much into tracking these days, just calorie wise sometimes so I'll pick whatever has the same amount of calories only. I don't care about the other stuff.

Anyway, good for you for sticking with it as well! It really is a life changer to be sure. I used to stress about my calorie range and macros and micros and when to eat and when to not eat and all that and as it turns out, if you're eating right, none of that matters :smile:

My breakfast... oh my, I have come up with some creative ideas! It almost always includes eggs and veggies and some kind of meat e.g., bacon, chicken, steak, or fish and sometimes a little of everything haha! I've gotten a lot of great recipes from Paleogrubs and nomnom Paleo, you should check it out. My favorite is to just roast a bunch of veggies in coconut oil the night before and chop up some hard boiled eggs, add meat, the veggies, some avocado. Makes for a yummy breakfast bowl and can be eaten hot or cold! One of my favorite go too snacks is roasted asparagus wrapped with bacon. Quick and easy!

I have not seen that cookbook but will look it up, thanks for the tip!

One of the things that amazes me the most is the taste of real food. I swear, even a simple piece of lettuce is the most delicious thing I've ever had. I find myself saying "Wow... this is what REAL food tastes like"!

I try to stick to single ingredient foods or foods that have minimal ingredients that I understand.

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The issue I have with the paleo diet is that every single person doing paleo is like "I'm kind of doing my own version of paleo" where they get to "cheat," because the diet as-is is not sustainable for seemingly anyone.