I can't ever seem to stay under my calories!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

*pants* :(

1400 doesn't ever seem to be enough calories. I'm always going over! I'm short (5'2") and weigh 147lbs (so overweight according to most charts, I *should* weight around 130lbs) so every gram shows on my frame, and every weight loss calculator tells me I need to eat only 1200 calories AND exercise intensively to lose weight. One calculator even put my on 900 calories :\

I just can't go that low, I would either faint or kill someone from being so hangry!

Anyway, just venting my frustration. I guess all I can do is stick at 1400 calories and up my exercise. Hopefully the lbs start melting off soon!

That's because 1400 is stupid low.

I suggest going onto IIFYM.com using their calculator to work out your proper macros.
    If I put her info in IIFYM's tdee calculator, it estimates she only burns around 1600/day before exercise.

• lavagirlangie
    lavagirlangie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nope, I only log as I eat. The red numbers are off putting but by the time dinner rolls around my stomach is rumbling loud enough for the neighbours to hear and I'm starting to get shaky,,,

I have diabetes and hypoglycemia and have a hard time staying within my 1440 calories. When you said "shaky" that made me think of my low blood sugar times. I can avoid this if I eat very carefully and eat mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. I try to have a low calorie snack that has a little protein and a little sugar and that holds me over. Some favorites are a low fat yogurt, half an apple with a Tbsp of peanut butter, Weight Watchers cheese stick, baby carrots with a Tbsp of hummus. I hope this helps you.

• NakeshiaBeard
    NakeshiaBeard Posts: 83
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How is it hard seriously you just need to push yourself to eat healthy cut back on alcohol (so many empty cals) and effing junk food. Just suck it up seriously!!!!! I'm 5'3 eating 1100 calories (I'm 18 I used a calc worked out this my healthy minimum) a day and it's easy as long as you're eating healthy food as it's more filling

Just because something is easy for you never means it will be for others. If you a truly serious about long term weight loss then you are going through as process of breaking long term and sometimes life long habits. This process takes time, trial and error. What works for some will not work for others. You cannot group every single human being together and say just because I did it this way means you should too!

• NakeshiaBeard
    NakeshiaBeard Posts: 83
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have diabetes and hypoglycemia and have a hard time staying within my 1440 calories. When you said "shaky" that made me think of my low blood sugar times. I can avoid this if I eat very carefully and eat mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. I try to have a low calorie snack that has a little protein and a little sugar and that holds me over. Some favorites are a low fat yogurt, half an apple with a Tbsp of peanut butter, Weight Watchers cheese stick, baby carrots with a Tbsp of hummus. I hope this helps you.

That's really helpful thanks! I've never been tested for hypoglycemia, my Dr always said I get shaky due to my low blood pressure and that I need to eat at least 6 times a day.

I'll work it all out soon. I've never been good with numbers or tracking every macro, it seems like a lot of work. Last time I lost weight it was as simple as eat this amount of cals and do these exercises. Now I'm not on a program I'm trying to work it out myself. Plus I'm on the next 'level' of weight loss where I'm fitter than first time around with less to lose.

All in good time :-)

• NakeshiaBeard
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »
    mfo36hhjnop1.png

TDEE * 0.80 = ~1780 calories. That is what you can eat and lose weight. Don't track your exercise calories on top of that.

I get 1591 with exercise 5 times a week which is what I currently do for exercise. Should I use your method with exercise every day even though I don't purposely work out every day?
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    Sorry for what I said earlier I think I was PMSing and for some stupid reason wrote an angry comment
    Apologies
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posters. I'm 5'0" and lost 40 lbs on about 1200 not usually eating back exercise. When I ate more veggies and other low GI carbs (like sweet potato, low carb bread, beans, yogurt) then I lost weight. Now that I'm trying to maintain and adding too many sweets back, I'm struggling. Meat and fish are lower calories and as much protein than treat balls. I used a low carb bread with a little sugar free jam as a treat, and found that filled me up sufficiently that I didn't really crave cookies and sugar.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    could you consider not eating the Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Balls?

maybe have an oreo instead?

you'd save hundreds of calories

:grinning:

Haha those balls are packed full of calories but I make them myself and can tell you they are a lot healthier than an Oreo!! I've also just recently cut out all sweets and foods high in refined sugar - aside from the odd few squares of chocolate, we all need our treats! I think adding more vegetables is a great idea :-)

If the protein balls put you over your calorie goal, and an Oreo does not, the Oreo just became a healthier choice.

Nah, the oreo just became a lower calorie choice.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry on 1400 calories and willing to take some of the suggestions contained in the many helpful comments here, I would forgo the juicing and just EAT those veggies. Drinking juice will not take the edge off your hunger. It will give you a high sugar drink with no fiber.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What my doctor & dietician told me:
    Multiply your healthy goal weight by 10 & eat that many calories.
    If that's more than 1000 below your current weight x 10, then eat at that level [(CW x 10) - 1000] & cut 50 cal as you lose weight & hit plateaus until you get down to (healthy weight x 10).
    So if you want to be 130 lb, eat 1300 cal / day.

Ignore "net", ignore exercise. That's a bonus toward losing weight, but most of the change will come from controlling calories in.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

• MKEgal
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If your plan is to take in 1400 calories and do 400 calories off of excercise you are essentially only taking in 1000 calories and that is not enough for your body to run on so it kicks in to starvation mode and keeps every bit of fat it can onboard.
    No. Just, no.
    "Starvation mode" is when the body turns to burning muscle (which is biologically and energy-wise not a good choice) because there is no fat, no carbs.
    If there are any bits of fat or carbs lying around, those will be burned first. It's more efficient to convert those to useful energy, and the body doesn't risk not being able to breathe or pump blood.
    Fat is there to fuel us when glucose is nearly kaput, glycogen is being depleted, and we still need to move.

Eating below what your body needs is how you lose weight.
    MFP says that my current BMR is just over 1700. My current calorie goal is 1550 (that's total, not net - I generally ignore exercise cal), and my doc suggested going to 1300. :anguished:
    When I started in January, BMR was about 1975, and my calorie goal was 1900. Once I met with my weight-loss doc, that was changed to 1700.
    And still I ignored exercise calories, and my doctors are very pleased with my health & my progress. I'm not starving, and while losing so much weight means I will of course lose some muscle, I'm doing weightlifting to preserve as much as possible.
    Strength training will benefit in the long run because every lb of muscle you add burns an additional 50 calories of fat at rest.
    Nope. I notice you didn't say in what time period that's supposed to be burned, but usually people calculate per hour or per day.

http://www.ncsf.org/enew/articles/articles-poundofmuscle.aspx
    "Sedentary muscle mass burns about 6 kcals per pound/day or 0.25 calories an hour per pound ...
    Fat about 2 kcals per pound [per day]."

For a more thorough discussion, see the blog post, which links to articles & research saying that strength training does not appreciably change RMR.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-05-does-building-muscle-actually-increase-rmr-684479
  • MKEgal
    Options
    I think I might look into juicing some vegetables
    Just _eat_ them! You will get the benefit of the fiber, which helps digestion, slows sugar absorption, and keeps you feeling full longer. (hint)
    my Dr always said I get shaky due to my low blood pressure and that I need to eat at least 6 times a day
    Either she misspoke or you misunderstood.
    Feeling shaky & being told to eat frequently goes with low blood sugar.

Also, with only 13 lb to lose it's going to be very slow.
    If you lose 0.5 lb per week, that's a victory.

Looking at your diary, you have few fruits and almost no vegetables.
    Use the carbs from the alcohol & fru-fru drinks to have brown rice, whole-grain bread, beans (including hummus), more veggies... things which are going to be more filling, longer.

Have more lean protein. Here's a blog post with links to studies saying that having a higher protein & lower carb diet leads to more weight loss:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553

Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges for macronutrients:
    http://www.iom.edu/Global/News Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx

page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

For 1300 cal per day, if you do 45 / 20 / 35, that would be:
    45 carbs = 585 cal = 146 g
    20 fat = 260 cal = 29 g
    35 protein = 455 cal = 114 g
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    We all know the adage - “Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper” – but it has never worked for me. I usually eat a small breakfast and then pretty much divide remaining calories somewhat equally between lunch and dinner. I always save a few calories for those nightly desires.
    -
    I don’t always plan a full day in advance, but I do “plan” as the day goes on & base my decisions on my calorie status. I make no choices without knowing calorie content first. Before I actually sit down to eat, I know the calories. It would never work “for me” to eat a full meal and then compute calories.

Of course, all my groceries are low-calorie healthy choices – lots of broccoli, spinach etc. NO cold-cut’s just fresh meat, low-cal wraps etc.

When dining out, I go on-line & view their restaurant menu / nutrition guide and mentally make a couple selections. Doing it this way eliminates the whole drama of being out to eat with others and doing the hemming and hawing about what fits my diet. The people I am with are their own enjoyment too.

One suggestion might be to look at something like Medifast (a plan recommended by many doctors) and use it just as a guide (idea generator)to the right meals for you with the proper amount of lean protein and vegetables that fit the 1200-1400 range you mentioned – including water & exercise.

Talk to your doctor about healthy eating and physical activities.

Best wishes – and again these are just suggestions – everyone is an individual. It took me a long time to find out what was right for me.

73641431.png
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Snack on celery and cucumbers. Eat salads every lunch and dinner. Olive Garden Light Italian dressing is only 30 calories!
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1) if 1400 is too low for you to stay full, maybe you need more calories? I'm 5' 3", weigh 130, and I eat ~1800 calories a day (this is what mfp tells me to eat and what other calculators have told me to eat as well to maintain my weight).

2) that said, 1400 calories should be enough to keep you full if you're eating properly. Try eating more fiber and more protein. Lately, I have heavily increased the amount of protein in my diet (because I do a lot of heavy lifting) and I struggle to make it above 1200 calories because I am so full, whereas I normally have no trouble at all eating 1800.
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    oh! and in terms of sweets, I do eat a lot of dark chocolate which I find to be more decadent and filling than pastries or other sweets, and also healthier. It's easy to eat a square or two here and there and feel satisfied, but would be way less calories than the "protein balls" you have been eating. Just food for thought, so to speak.