Dr Hyman's 10 Day Detox?

My mom said I should read this book about eating healthier and doing a 10 day detox. I've read some of it so far and I decided to give it a shot. I was in the grocery store for a good 2 or so hours making sure I had all the ingredients lol. Anyway I really think it can benefit me because I am a terrible eater. I can't seem to go a day without Dunkin donuts coffee or eating some kind of junk food. I just made the almond strawberry smoothie and it's not bad. I'm just very interested to see what will happen or not happen doing this diet. I do turbo fire/turbo jam every day with occasional Rockin body (but it just feels too easy so I'm not that into Rockin body). Has anyone tried this detox and what were your results and thoughts on it??

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    WiXxM.gif
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2014
    What's wrong with a coffee and some junk food? Assuming you're getting your bodies required nutrients. ..no food is bad.

I'm also a terrible person and giggled at Hyman.

My opinion. Save your money and time by investing in learning sustainable habits and making healthier choices, not necessarily eliminating things from your diet.

Detoxes are also unnecessary. If you have a functioning liver and kidney, there's your detoxing system.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Just poop, its cheaper.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    My mom said I should read this book about eating healthier and doing a 10 day detox. I've read some of it so far and I decided to give it a shot. I was in the grocery store for a good 2 or so hours making sure I had all the ingredients lol. Anyway I really think it can benefit me because I am a terrible eater. I can't seem to go a day without Dunkin donuts coffee or eating some kind of junk food. I just made the almond strawberry smoothie and it's not bad. I'm just very interested to see what will happen or not happen doing this diet. I do turbo fire/turbo jam every day with occasional Rockin body (but it just feels too easy so I'm not that into Rockin body). Has anyone tried this detox and what were your results and thoughts on it??
    It's a complete waste of time and energy - sorry...
    There is no substitute for moderate clean eating and hard work training both cardio and strength. The magic bullet does not exist.

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    There is nothing that your body won't detox that a cleanse will. Your body is built to detox itself. Eat less calories than you consume and you'll be fine. I'm sorry you wasted your money.
  • Irishfaerie86
    Irishfaerie86 Posts: 34 Member
    What's wrong with a coffee and some junk food? Assuming you're getting your bodies required nutrients. ..no food is bad.

My opinion. Save your money and time by investing in learning sustainable habits and making healthier choices, not necessarily eliminating things from your diet.

Detoxes are also unnecessary. If you have a functioning liver and kidney, there's your detoxing system.

Well what if I were to look at it not really a detox but having help to begin eating healthier? For instance, a lot of the foods on the list I know are good for you-salmon, chicken, nuts, veggies. It's obvious the food on the list for the detox is much healthier then let's say a trip to Burger King (which I made the other day lol). Even though the calories could even be similar, I know what will make you feel better and benefit your health in general. So that's why I'm partly following this detox, not so much for the "detox" but more to develop better eating habits on a regular basis. Thank you though for your thoughts!

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    woZL9TO.gif
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member

Well what if I were to look at it not really a detox but having help to begin eating healthier? For instance, a lot of the foods on the list I know are good for you-salmon, chicken, nuts, veggies. It's obvious the food on the list for the detox is much healthier then let's say a trip to Burger King (which I made the other day lol). Even though the calories could even be similar, I know what will make you feel better and benefit your health in general. So that's why I'm partly following this detox, not so much for the "detox" but more to develop better eating habits on a regular basis. Thank you though for your thoughts!

I bet I can still meet my bodies nutrient needs with burger King and still lose weight doing so if I balance things right. Healthy is in the context of an entire diet. Someone who eats nothing but apples is no more healthy than someone who eats all fries. Both of those are bad diets. It's good to learn new habits, merge them with old. Keep things you love in it and you'll be better suited for long term and not miserable along the way
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    If you can do it then go for it! I think a detox is a good thing every once and awhile and wish I had the willpower to do them as I am lucky if I can avoid sugar for more than one day at a time.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Good grief. Eat less. Move more. That's the only magic formula to weight loss. Detox drinks, shakes, hocus pocus whatever is nothing but smoke and mirrors and ways to separate you from your money...if you believe that, there's this bridge a whole bunch of us have to sell you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Your body naturally detoxes itself every single day. There is no need to do a one day, five day, or any day detox.

Just plan your days and eat what you love while eating less than you burn and you will lose weight. :)

• HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Definitely go ahead and do the detox. You'll feel so much better when you release the hold sugar and other crap has on you. Your body does not naturally detox. These people are wrong. What they are saying is like telling an alcoholic to "just drink less, you'll be fine" NO. You need to break the hold these toxic foods have on your body.
    Your mother is right. Isn't she always? Doncha hate that?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    OP - have your kidney's stopped working???? if not then there is no need for a cleanse/or detox, as your body does that naturally on it own ….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Definitely go ahead and do the detox. You'll feel so much better when you release the hold sugar and other crap has on you. Your body does not naturally detox. These people are wrong. What they are saying is like telling an alcoholic to "just drink less, you'll be fine" NO. You need to break the hold these toxic foods have on your body.

so if your body does not naturally detox, how come we are not all on dialysis???

and pray tell, how is telling someone your body naturally detoxes the same as telling alcoholic to drink less???????
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member

43ec517d68b6edd3015b3edc9a11367b.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

FilionWaitWhat.gif

Please consider reading the link I provided and doing some actual research. Saying your body doesn't naturally detox is a really outrageous (and very incorrect) claim.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member

I got fat eating lots of sugar. Family sized bags of candy only lasted at most two days. I never did a detox but have gained control over my sugar eating and lost the weight I gained from it.

Tell me again how my body didn't naturally "detox" from the sugar, while still enjoying sugar in moderation!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2014
    What? I wish you could see the expression on my face right now.

With all due respect, you are wrong. So wrong. Your body is a natural mean detoxing machine and gets rid of waste just fine on it's own.

I can't believe you compare a alcoholism to your body holding "sugar and other crap has on you," to quote your own words.