• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ah yes, bread.
    pain levain.
    pullman
    sourdough round.
    brioche

Then you have buttermilk biscuits, king's hawaiian rolls, cross buns, croissants.

Since those are the basic types of bread I make, that is the extent of the bread vocabulary at home. ;)

Any crazy names for pot roast?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Double super whopper burger with mountains of cheese and bacon (UK)

=

10.30am snack (US)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Bangers and mash = Mashed potatoes and sausage
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Fairy Cake... cute.

It's amusing how many French words people in the UK use for veggies!

Coming from a French person, I have to say that there is good cheese in the US, mostly good cheddars (and mostly from the North). But we find a lot more imported cheeses now thankfully.

And US chocolate is crap.

Also there is both ginger beer and ginger ale in the US. Ginger beer has a much stronger flavor and is typically sold in glass bottles as opposed to cans (as far as I know).

There is no real equivalent for custard here sadly. I mean, you can make it, but you won't be able to find it already made at the store.

French chocolate is cr@p too from my experience. I paid 10€ for a piece from a gourmet shop and came out thinking whether it would have been better invested in a 60p bar of Dairy Milk.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I'm a brit who's recently been spending a lot of time in Canada and the US. What sometimes surprises me is when I know the UK and US term for a vegetable and the American I'm talking to has still never heard of it!! I also seem to spend a lot of time being asked what things are on menus by my colleagues, even though I'm the foreigner!

One thing I do love in America is the range of crackers. Because in the uk people tend to have tea and biscuits there's a lot more sweet biscuits available than savoury crackers here.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I also notice that we haven't even *started* on the minefield that is bread yet.

Up north a bread roll can be called a bap, a barm, a cob, a muffin (as in - chip muffin). So a muffin can be anything from a bread roll, to a type of cake often sold in paper, to a flat bread like thing that McDonalds sells sausage and egg mcmuffins in.

Ah yes - my husband comes from UK - once I bought us 2 finger buns as a treat.
    Me - would you like a buttered bun?
    him- can I have lettuce, cheese tomato
    Am thinking to myself no, he can't possibly want that, so I took it out to show him, You really want lettuce cheese tomato on a bun???.
    Oh you mean a finger bun I thought you meant a bread bun..

Which to Australians is a bread roll.

Oh yeah, I think we call them iced buns here, the longish ones with white (or sometimes pink) icing on top?
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    ah yes, bread.
    pain levain.
    pullman
    sourdough round.
    brioche

Then you have buttermilk biscuits, king's hawaiian rolls, cross buns, croissants.

Since those are the basic types of bread I make, that is the extent of the bread vocabulary at home. ;)

Wasn't brioche the (slightly mistranslated) source of the belief that Marie Antoinette said 'let them eat cake?' i.e. let them eat brioche...
    Options
    Just thinking about it - a bun can also be confusing. A hot cross bun is actually a tea-cake (a bread roll with raisins, and nothing to do with cake, or tea for that matter) but a bun can also be the basis for a fairy cake. If you are cooking buns, those are little sponge cakes that Americans sometimes refer to as cupcakes (but without the icing). Alternatively a bread bun can just be a bread roll with no cake association at all. What a bun and cake confusion!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I also notice that we haven't even *started* on the minefield that is bread yet.

Up north a bread roll can be called a bap, a barm, a cob, a muffin (as in - chip muffin). So a muffin can be anything from a bread roll, to a type of cake often sold in paper, to a flat bread like thing that McDonalds sells sausage and egg mcmuffins in.

Ah yes - my husband comes from UK - once I bought us 2 finger buns as a treat.
    Me - would you like a buttered bun?
    him- can I have lettuce, cheese tomato
    Am thinking to myself no, he can't possibly want that, so I took it out to show him, You really want lettuce cheese tomato on a bun???.
    Oh you mean a finger bun I thought you meant a bread bun..

Which to Australians is a bread roll.

Oh yeah, I think we call them iced buns here, the longish ones with white (or sometimes pink) icing on top?

Yes, one of those.
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hahah, love this...

Biscuit in the UK is a sweet flat cookie kind of thing, usually no chocolate chips or anything like US "cookies though".
    Biscuit in the US is a scone type bun bread thing that you guys put weird meat gravy stuff on for breakfast!! My mind was blown when I had these over xmas last year though - SO GOOD.
  • whippetwomen
    whippetwomen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    I remember my years in Scotland very well.
    Gammon = ham
    biscuits = cookies
    chips = french fries
    crisps = potato chips

I have yet to see an American scone that was like the ones I had in the tea shop in Dunoon. American ones are way too large, way too dry, and rarely have currants (my favorite). An American rich cream biscuit that is sweetened with some dried fruit could do it.

Oh, yeah. If you didn't specifically specify black coffee, what you would get in the tea shop was white coffee, which is brewed coffee with hot milk.

Yuck!
  • whippetwomen
    whippetwomen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    UK-US
    herbal infusion - herbal tea - this is for those that solely for drinking
    tisane - still called herbal tea - this is for those that are supposed to be medicinal

Oh, and to add to the fun apple cider issue, in the USA, we also have something called Apple Jack - where you take alcoholic (hard) apple cider and cool it to freezing, skimming of the ice that forms and therefore raising the alcohol content.

Rootbeer (a soda) is an American thing that you don't really find in the UK - most UK folks I know who tried it when they came to American thought it tasted like cough syrup.

Most common chocolate in the UK: cadbury
    Most common chocolate in the US: Hershey's
    ah, always wondered what Hersheys's were.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Fairy Cake... cute.

Coming from a French person, I have to say that there is good cheese in the US, mostly good cheddars (and mostly from the North). But we find a lot more imported cheeses now thankfully.

Also there is both ginger beer and ginger ale in the US. Ginger beer has a much stronger flavor and is typically sold in glass bottles as opposed to cans (as far as I know).

There is no real equivalent for custard here sadly. I mean, you can make it, but you won't be able to find it already made at the store.

French chocolate is cr@p too from my experience. I paid 10€ for a piece from a gourmet shop and came out thinking whether it would have been better invested in a 60p bar of Dairy Milk.

I can't even give you any name of French chocolate, frankly! I love Belgian and Swiss ones...

And I've lived in the US for 12 years and have yet to have biscuits and gravy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

They're the English words too - 1066 and all that.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Macaroni Cheese - Mac and Cheese
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Cheddar comes from Somerset. (South West England)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Fairy Cake... cute.

I can't even give you any name of French chocolate, frankly! I love Belgian and Swiss ones...

And I've lived in the US for 12 years and have yet to have biscuits and gravy.

French chocolate is nice, it usually has more cocoa in it. I lived in France for a year. I didn't eat much chocolate though, but I can tell you the wine is good lol. I'm not a fan of beer, but I had strawberry beer there yum, and beer with grenadine.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Iced finger
  • Noonoo91
    Noonoo91 Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There's a lot I've learnt from this post helps with Pinterest recipes
  • refuseresist
    edited September 2015