Eating far below BMR and not losing weight

Options
14567810»

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Anecdotally, I have been at eating at approximately BMR-500 (BMR actually tested, is 1850) for 6 months now and have lost 87.3lbs. I started with a BMI in the mid 50's however. I plan to keep eating at such a rate until it stops working. I have had a full physical since I began my journey, my health is good and I feel better than I have in nearly a decade.

Well, they likely tested RMR first of all, unless you slept at the lab, they woke you in early morning, and either hooked you up or put a hood on you, and let you go back to sleep. That would be BMR.

And if they tested RMR, I've yet to hear of one where they didn't spit out an estimated TDEE too, either based on asking you questions about daily life, or they didn't care and assumed and it was on the report anyway.

So really eating at RMR - 500, or the TDEE on the RMR report less 500?

And had your RMR tested lately?

That's nice an average daily deficit of 1673 for that weight lost is working for you.
    (87 x 3500 if just fat / 26 weeks / 7 days = 1673 deficit if only fat, which it's obviously not)
    But guess what, if really losing that much with what you think is a 500 cal deficit - you got a bad awaking coming.
    Might want to go for a bodyfat test to see how much LBM you have now before it gets even worse, so you can compare later.
    And yes, it most definitely will stop working.

Did you know you can drive long distance on tires that are 10 psi below recommend, without there seeming to be any problem?
    But the overheating from extra tire flex, and extra friction wear massively shortens the life of the tire.
    Just because things seem fine don't always means things are best.

I just wanted to thank you for your overweening display of condescension and assumption of my complete and utter ignorance and stupidity.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    OP, what's your plan for maintaining at your goal weight?

Basically, once I hit my goal weight of around 210 or whatever I'm going to weigh each morning. If I'm under the weight, I eat what I want. If I'm over, I diet that day.
    Anyone mention yet how terrible this idea is?
    What's wrong with dieting when you're overweight?

Anything is a controversy here.

Living a healthy lifestyle is preferred to yo-yo dieting only when you put on weight.
    I wouldn't consider watching what you eat for a day or two when the scale is up a little to be 'yoyo dieting'. I would consider yoyo dieting the opposite-- ignoring weight gain until it's significant and then dieting back down and then ignoring it again.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much. No other explanation.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Anecdotally, I have been at eating at approximately BMR-500 (BMR actually tested, is 1850) for 6 months now and have lost 87.3lbs. I started with a BMI in the mid 50's however. I plan to keep eating at such a rate until it stops working. I have had a full physical since I began my journey, my health is good and I feel better than I have in nearly a decade.

Well, they likely tested RMR first of all, unless you slept at the lab, they woke you in early morning, and either hooked you up or put a hood on you, and let you go back to sleep. That would be BMR.

And if they tested RMR, I've yet to hear of one where they didn't spit out an estimated TDEE too, either based on asking you questions about daily life, or they didn't care and assumed and it was on the report anyway.

So really eating at RMR - 500, or the TDEE on the RMR report less 500?

And had your RMR tested lately?

That's nice an average daily deficit of 1673 for that weight lost is working for you.
    (87 x 3500 if just fat / 26 weeks / 7 days = 1673 deficit if only fat, which it's obviously not)
    But guess what, if really losing that much with what you think is a 500 cal deficit - you got a bad awaking coming.
    Might want to go for a bodyfat test to see how much LBM you have now before it gets even worse, so you can compare later.
    And yes, it most definitely will stop working.

Did you know you can drive long distance on tires that are 10 psi below recommend, without there seeming to be any problem?
    But the overheating from extra tire flex, and extra friction wear massively shortens the life of the tire.
    Just because things seem fine don't always means things are best.

I just wanted to thank you for your overweening display of condescension and assumption of my complete and utter ignorance and stupidity.

Well, that's why those are called questions there, not statements on assumptions.
    I have no proof you understand what you are doing, vast majority don't. Hence the questions.
    Shoot, I'd suggest slight majority don't even understand how MFP works correctly, let alone using it correctly. Which just points out not really understanding how weight loss and gain works beyond basic simple ideas.

And you should read the forums a tad more to discover that my questions were very legitimate, based on misunderstandings that ones generally do have.

Because once I saw your results didn't bear out with the math, it just calls in to question your numbers and if you understand what is happening. Lean Body Mass loss. Along with fat, sure, but likely the normal 20% if not more LBM along with it to obtain those results.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I really think you need to get the mental game under control here first. Because, "dieting" as you say, isn't a cure necessarily. And you can fluctuate 5-10lbs a day depending on a hundred different things. "Maintenence" is a range more than a specific number and you're setting yourself up for dissapointment like that.

Wouldn't you rather learn the healthy habits so even when you're maintaining, you eat resonable amounts and don't restrict, you just know what portion control is? Weighing every day like that is a recipe for basically dieting every day.

This. So, so much of this.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Basically, once I hit my goal weight of around 210 or whatever I'm going to weigh each morning. If I'm under the weight, I eat what I want. If I'm over, I diet that day.

Living a healthy lifestyle is preferred to yo-yo dieting only when you put on weight.
    I wouldn't consider watching what you eat for a day or two when the scale is up a little to be 'yoyo dieting'. I would consider yoyo dieting the opposite-- ignoring weight gain until it's significant and then dieting back down and then ignoring it again.

you don't understand the problem with daily weight?

Maybe you've not investigated how weight fluctuates at the micro scale, but may be consistent on the macro?

If not, you might want to ask yourself why.
  • dbmata
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I really think you need to get the mental game under control here first. Because, "dieting" as you say, isn't a cure necessarily. And you can fluctuate 5-10lbs a day depending on a hundred different things. "Maintenence" is a range more than a specific number and you're setting yourself up for dissapointment like that.

Wouldn't you rather learn the healthy habits so even when you're maintaining, you eat resonable amounts and don't restrict, you just know what portion control is? Weighing every day like that is a recipe for basically dieting every day.

This. So, so much of this.

Could you please explain this to WalkingAlong, so that I don't have to?

You'll probably be far kinder than I.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

you don't understand the problem with daily weight?

Maybe you've not investigated how weight fluctuates at the micro scale, but may be consistent on the macro?

If not, you might want to ask yourself why.
    I'm assuming OP meant he'll diet when his weight goes above the point he's chosen as the top of his normal range. That would be the obvious interpretation, I think.
  • dbmata
    Options
    The obvious interpretation is that he's simply going to look on a daily basis and freak the hell out whenever his weight fluctuates, which will be daily.

I'm still waiting for his answer to which side of gamergate he falls on.
  • nicolalane716
    nicolalane716 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Firstly, it is really easy to lose or gain at least 2-3 pounds of water from day to day - and even more when you have a lot of excess fat. Then add in the effects of stress and possible inflammation from working out/building muscle . . .

Next - are you drinking enough water? When seriously burning fat you need a lot.

But the biggest problem I see is that I doubt your diet is nutritionally adequate. There is a lot more to take into consideration than calories!

The reason that 1200 calories is usually seen as a floor is that is what is needed to make sure that you are getting enough vitamins, minerals, proteins and fats. If you are doing more than minimal exercise you will also need to think about additional protein needs and possibly electrolytes.

Before starting any plan that severely restricts calories like this you really need to visit a doctor and get clearance - you might have something going on that could cause you problems.

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I really hate to post on a thread that has already beaten a dead horse 20 times, but the OP sounds so much like my husband, I just have to put in my 2 cents.

This method worked for my husband when he was your age, OP. Back when he was a bachelor he would eat whatever he wanted and check his weight every day. On the days his weight crept up he would skip dinner and just have a beer. Next day weight was back down. Now he's 56 and struggling to lose 30 lbs and just. cant. do it. He refused to listen to me about practicing good eating habits, learning about nutrition, not going for quick fixes. His metabolism just isn't what it used to be and the weight won't go away. I've tried to help him but he gets annoyed, so I don't nag him anymore...I hope he figures it out by watching me. I'm not perfect and I still have a long way to go, but I've learned a lot on this site.