Dr Hyman's 10 Day Detox?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Definitely go ahead and do the detox. You'll feel so much better when you release the hold sugar and other crap has on you. Your body does not naturally detox. These people are wrong. What they are saying is like telling an alcoholic to "just drink less, you'll be fine" NO. You need to break the hold these toxic foods have on your body.
    Your mother is right. Isn't she always? Doncha hate that?

I got fat eating lots of sugar. Family sized bags of candy only lasted at most two days. I never did a detox but have gained control over my sugar eating and lost the weight I gained from it.

Tell me again how my body didn't naturally "detox" from the sugar, while still enjoying sugar in moderation!

But, by the same token, it's not the sugar that makes us gain weight, it's the over consumption of food (which for you included family sized bags of candy YUM! :D>:) ) that causes us to gain weight.

I LOVE my sugar and all food in moderation, and I've been maintaining for a year!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Definitely go ahead and do the detox. You'll feel so much better when you release the hold sugar and other crap has on you. Your body does not naturally detox. These people are wrong. What they are saying is like telling an alcoholic to "just drink less, you'll be fine" NO. You need to break the hold these toxic foods have on your body.
    What? I wish you could see the expression on my face right now.

With all due respect, you are wrong. So wrong. Your body is a natural mean detoxing machine and gets rid of waste just fine on it's own.

I can't believe you compare a alcoholism to your body holding "sugar and other crap has on you," to quote your own words.

Was your face like this?
    tumblr_inline_mkx3sfQMZg1qz4rgp.gif

Or more like this?

tumblr_m0xzpnob1y1qbfnat.gif
  • SLLRunner
    PikaKnight wrote: »

With all due respect, you are wrong. So wrong. Your body is a natural mean detoxing machine and gets rid of waste just fine on it's own.

I can't believe you compare a alcoholism to your body holding "sugar and other crap has on you," to quote your own words.

Was your face like this?
    tumblr_inline_mkx3sfQMZg1qz4rgp.gif

Or more like this?

It might have been a combination of both...... :cold_sweat:

Thank you for the laugh tonight, I needed it.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member

I got fat eating lots of sugar. Family sized bags of candy only lasted at most two days. I never did a detox but have gained control over my sugar eating and lost the weight I gained from it.

Tell me again how my body didn't naturally "detox" from the sugar, while still enjoying sugar in moderation!

But, by the same token, it's not the sugar that makes us gain weight, it's the over consumption of food (which for you included family sized bags of candy YUM! :D>:) ) that causes us to gain weight.

I LOVE my sugar and all food in moderation, and I've been maintaining for a year!

Correct sugar doesn't make you fat In The absence of a cal surpluses. I was just qualifying my response so the poster understood I had enough sugar in my diet to disprove her post.

I'm now working on bulking :stuck_out_tongue:
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member

WHAT? lol..no
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    So basically.... man thinks in order to lose weight you should eat fruit and veg, and charges to buy his book for the privilege of knowing this.

There is a reason that the dieting world is so lucrative (and full of con-artists)
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    What's wrong with a coffee and some junk food? Assuming you're getting your bodies required nutrients. ..no food is bad.

I'm also a terrible person and giggled at Hyman.

My opinion. Save your money and time by investing in learning sustainable habits and making healthier choices, not necessarily eliminating things from your diet.

Detoxes are also unnecessary. If you have a functioning liver and kidney, there's your detoxing system.

Well what if I were to look at it not really a detox but having help to begin eating healthier? For instance, a lot of the foods on the list I know are good for you-salmon, chicken, nuts, veggies. It's obvious the food on the list for the detox is much healthier then let's say a trip to Burger King (which I made the other day lol). Even though the calories could even be similar, I know what will make you feel better and benefit your health in general. So that's why I'm partly following this detox, not so much for the "detox" but more to develop better eating habits on a regular basis. Thank you though for your thoughts!

I don't think anyone would dispute that eating more fresh fruit and veg is a bad idea however to make it easier to stick to a long term dietary change you should allow yourself some of the treats you are used to having - from your pic it doesn't look like you have a lot to lose so if I were you I would just start adding more of the healthier stuff and cutting back on the less healthy stuff - and keeping a sensible calorie deficit to lose weight.

Also the person who said the body doesn't detox themselves is talking complete bobbins - serious nonsense.

Also Dr Hyman pfffft!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yes, do the detox that is not really a detox, but healthy food, or... whatever yo mama got it right :confused:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    What's wrong with a coffee and some junk food? Assuming you're getting your bodies required nutrients. ..no food is bad.

I'm also a terrible person and giggled at Hyman.

My opinion. Save your money and time by investing in learning sustainable habits and making healthier choices, not necessarily eliminating things from your diet.

Detoxes are also unnecessary. If you have a functioning liver and kidney, there's your detoxing system.

Well what if I were to look at it not really a detox but having help to begin eating healthier? For instance, a lot of the foods on the list I know are good for you-salmon, chicken, nuts, veggies. It's obvious the food on the list for the detox is much healthier then let's say a trip to Burger King (which I made the other day lol). Even though the calories could even be similar, I know what will make you feel better and benefit your health in general. So that's why I'm partly following this detox, not so much for the "detox" but more to develop better eating habits on a regular basis. Thank you though for your thoughts!

Incorporating nutrient dense foods will be good that you can ensure you are meeting macro and micronutrient goals. But understand that your whole diet is what matters. Baring a medical condition, you can incorporate junk or DD and still meet your goals. Generally, what is suggested is trying to get 80-90% of your diet from whole sources (meats, fish, fruits, veggies, etc...) but still incorporate foods you love to keep your sanity. More important, your ability to stick with the diet and maintain a deficit is what is key.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Or more like this?

Mine is like this! WTF??? laughs
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited October 2014
    Yeesh, I cannot believe a mother would say this. Time to hang up the phone!!

It takes about two days for you to digest food. Detox just gets stuff through your system really fast, but it's not getting rid of anything normal digestion doesn't already. Also, if you don't stay very close to the toilet all day long, detox can result in explosive consequences on both ends (I know from a buddy that tried it and had to vomit into his trashbin at work ~ gross!).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/faq-20058340

"The average transit time through just the large intestine (colon) was 40 hours, with significant difference between men and women: 33 hours for men, 47 hours for women."

http://www.gnolls.org/1444/does-meat-rot-in-your-colon-no-what-does-beans-grains-and-vegetables/

Funny page talking about digestion... No, meat does not rot in your colon. :lol: This author is a goofball, but the page still has helpful info on it.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Well what if I were to look at it not really a detox but having help to begin eating healthier? For instance, a lot of the foods on the list I know are good for you-salmon, chicken, nuts, veggies.

The detox diets I know about involve drinking lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper.

If your detox involves eating chicken and veggies, that's called "eating healthy," and that's a good thing! :+1:
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member

I'm incredibly interested in knowing where you heard/read/came up with this? :blush:

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    chatnel wrote: »
    If you can do it then go for it! I think a detox is a good thing every once and awhile and wish I had the willpower to do them as I am lucky if I can avoid sugar for more than one day at a time.

I'm going to doubt you ever avoid sugar unless you don't eat any veggies or fruit that contain them....

.....LOL. So, I guess my 53 lb loss and significant improvement in BF%, fitness level increase mean nothing because of the evil sugar I've eaten over that time period? Huh? All those pints of ice cream while also getting my.bodies required nutrients.

I'm curious what hold sugar has over me?

Did it put a spell on me? Is it a witch?

Heaven forbid people suggest a sensible way to go about this whole weight loss/health thing.
  • CoachChris78
    CoachChris78 Posts: 30 Member
    This thread has given me so many LOL's
  • SLLRunner

Correct sugar doesn't make you fat In The absence of a cal surpluses. I was just qualifying my response so the poster understood I had enough sugar in my diet to disprove her post.

I'm now working on bulking :stuck_out_tongue:
    I understood that when replying. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Also, what does an alcoholic not drinking have to do with detoxing?

There seems to be a confusion here with the way people physically hooked on drugs may need to go through withdrawal when first coming off them, but I don't even think that's what these dumb food-related "detoxes" are supposed to be about.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Aemely wrote: »
    Well what if I were to look at it not really a detox but having help to begin eating healthier? For instance, a lot of the foods on the list I know are good for you-salmon, chicken, nuts, veggies.

The detox diets I know about involve drinking lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper.

If your detox involves eating chicken and veggies, that's called "eating healthy," and that's a good thing! :+1:

Eating healthy is a good thing. There's no reason to tie it to a "detox."

For giggles I took the quiz to determine if I need to "detox" according to Dr. Hyman. There were 4 questions, and I answered yes to only one of them--that I need to lose weight (I am a healthy BMI currently, but I do think I need to lose about 15 or so more lbs). Is anyone shocked that based solely on that I got the following answer: "Yes, you need to detox with the 10 day diet." Cool, apparently anyone who wants to lose weight needs a detox!

Oh, and to pay for the detox by either buying a book or registering online, of course.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Oh Mom. That's unfortunate she's pushing some scam nonsense under the disguise of being helpful. Detoxing is for drug addicts and alcoholics. People who need to lose some weight just need to eat better and move more.