Not losing weight on low carb?

Options

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't mean low complex carbs. Fluff up every meal with a big ole salad, healthy fats and the weight will come off.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Well, to be fair, the nutrionist comment about "jumpstarting metobolism" was made after someone came in and said "why are you eating low carb? Eat my way!" even though OP made it obvious that she likes this WOE. Explaining why low carb is getting her to a calorie deficit is going to be more helpful than just saying all that her nutritionist said is absolutely wrong.
    And look at her post count, it wasn't until I looked around more in the forums that I learned that anybody could be a nutritionist. I would have assumed that a nutritionist at a hospital was more informed than the average joe and would know a thing or two about weight loss. Obviously for peoeple that have been in the forums for awhile they already know it doesn't take much to be a nutritionist.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Kmhornak wrote: »
    You are grossly assuming a lot of things about me, huh? I lost 7 lbs. so far, but I haven't lost any in the past week. I am less hungry, I haven't had a soda or sweet in 3 weeks. I feel full when I eat. I feel amazing. The past week has thrown me for a curve. I agreed the weighing my food could be a culprit. I am not complaining about the plan, I was perplexed. There are people on all of these boards who come on here to start a fight and to be a bully. You know where to go!

1) No one invalidated your experience. They tried to explain it to you. You rejected those explanations because you didn't want to hear it.

2) You were the one being belligerent and trying to mock someone for not eating low-carb like you claim to do. So you can take your own advice about where you can go.

• Kmhornak
    Kmhornak Posts: 42 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, the nutrionist comment about "jumpstarting metobolism" was made after someone came in and said "why are you eating low carb? Eat my way!" even though OP made it obvious that she likes this WOE. Explaining why low carb is getting her to a calorie deficit is going to be more helpful than just saying all that her nutritionist said is absolutely wrong.
    And look at her post count, it wasn't until I looked around more in the forums that I learned that anybody could be a nutritionist. I would have assumed that a nutritionist at a hospital was more informed than the average joe and would know a thing or two about weight loss. Obviously for peoeple that have been in the forums for awhile they already know it doesn't take much to be a nutritionist.

You are correct. And I was wrong that she was a nutritionist. She's a nurse and registered dietician. (just looked at her card) Many people are referred to her before having weight loss surgery. I wasn't aware that a nutritionist and dietician are different. Now 3-2-1 until everyone jumps on how stupid this nurse is....

http://www.mainlinehealth.org/oth/Page.asp?PageID=OTH000554
  • Jim_Barteck
    Options
    Ummm, yeah, that is close to what I used to eat - and now I am overweight. ha ha!

And you wonder why people are "bullying" you? Take a look in the mirror at your attitude.

It wasn't what you were eating. It was that you wouldn't stop eating it. You ate too much of it. Period.

Now you want to make fun of other people who can make it work simply because you didn't show the self-restraint necessary to make it work for yourself?

Talk about bullying attitudes....
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Interesting conversations here...

First, even though you're on a low-carb plan you must still stay under your calorie estimation for maintenance, start at a 10% deficit. I was recently doing some peer-reviewed research for something else and ran across some work on low-carb dieting and the "adjusted Atkins"diet calls for 10% calories from carbs, 60% from fat and the rest protein. For example purposes, on a 1500 calorie diet that would be 100grams of Fat, 38grams from carbs, and 113grams from protein; I rounded up on the carbs and protein.

Now that's established, you must definitely weigh or measure your food. Depending on what you're eating carbs can add-up quickly relative to your carb requirement. Also, most of your energy is coming from FAT, so ditch the turkey burgers and get yourself some good ole' fatty ground beef if you want burgers. I think stores sell a 80/20 ground beef? Nuts... be careful with these as one serving of something like almonds has approximately 7grams of carbs in them and it doesn't take a lot of almonds to make one serving.

Low-carb plans are fine but you do have to pay attention to what you're eating the same as if you're doing something else. Also, be leery of carb-friendly protein bars and stuff, I would avoid them.
  • MelRC117
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ummm, yeah, that is close to what I used to eat - and now I am overweight. ha ha!

And you wonder why people are "bullying" you? Take a look in the mirror at your attitude.

It wasn't what you were eating. It was that you wouldn't stop eating it. You ate too much of it. Period.

Now you want to make fun of other people who can make it work simply because you didn't show the self-restraint necessary to make it work for yourself?

Seriously? I would hardly call that bullying.
    She wasn't mocking people not a low carb diets. She was stating what she was told. Again explaining why low-carb diets work would more helpful to her and help her understand why low-carb diets work than just saying she doesn't need to eat low-carb diet and just eat less calories if she was told stuff about insulin and spikes and hormones. Those things might have to do with her hunger cues however helping her understand that hunger is different from actual calorie deficit which is what you actually need to lose weight.
  • bizarrefish
    bizarrefish Posts: 41 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    so a calorie deficit is somehow torturing yourself, but restricting an entire food group is OK..got ya ..

so much wrong with this post..

'food group' is arbitrary, and as such not all food groups are equal; Try cutting out sources of protein if you require proof.

When you eat something which will push your insulin up and trigger a conservative storage action, this is working against the goals of most people here, which is overall expenditure. The more sugar is taken in, the more psychologically/physically difficult the desired state is to achieve.

I am certainly not claiming that sugar must be eliminated in order to lose fat. I myself lost around 50lbs without knowing anything about hormones or carbs. It sucked, and the gym sucked up a ridiculous amount of my time. I have kept the weight off for around 7 years now, before I discovered keto/low-carb it was something I had to be constantly aware of.

All I'm saying is that, at least for some, trying to lose weight whilst not cutting carbs may amount to shooting yourself in the foot. Many real people don't have the grit of a chronically embarrassed 16 year old with man boobs and an iPod full of Rush; I certainly don't any more :-P
  • Jim_Barteck
    edited October 2014
    Options
    She wasn't mocking people not a low carb diets.

She mocked both the people who weren't eating low carb and non-low carb diets. See the passages I previously quoted from her if you missed reading them yourself.

Then she had the nerve to complain that people weren't being as nice to her as she would like. Laughable.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I've never seen someone so defensive about pop tarts. She wasn't making fun of people... seems to me the OP just underestimates her own willpower and was amazed people can eat those foods in moderation. But wow... overreaction much?
  • Jim_Barteck
    edited October 2014
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    I've never seen someone so defensive about pop tarts. She wasn't making fun of people... seems to me the OP just underestimates her own willpower and was amazed people can eat those foods in moderation. But wow... overreaction much?

It's not about Pop-Tarts. She was derisive and dismissive at the idea that someone could eat foods that her "nutritionist" has told her are bad for her without blowing up like a balloon.

She said absolutely nothing about the problem of eating those foods in moderation. You completely made that up yourself.

Reading comprehension problems much? Before you accuse other people of "overreacting" you should at least read the words that were actually written, and not pretend words were written which actually weren't.
  • MelRC117
    edited October 2014
    Options
    She wasn't mocking people not a low carb diets.

She mocked both the people who weren't eating low carb and non-low carb diets. See the passages I previously quoted from her if you missed reading them yourself.

Then she had the nerve to complain that people weren't being as nice to her as she would like. Laughable.
    No I think you are overacting. I can read and that is not what OP was doing. No where did I see mocking but a misunderstanding of how low carb diets work.
    You must be seeing posts from her that I don't. I have read your quotes from her and no where do I see mocking.
  • Jim_Barteck
    edited October 2014
    Options
    No I think you are overacting. I can read and that is not what OP was doing. No where did I see mocking but a misunderstanding of how low carb diets work.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Have a great day :)
  • MelRC117
    Options

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Have a great day :)
    I would hardly consider your posts facts LOL
  • bizarrefish
    bizarrefish Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Everyone chill. It is sometimes hard to believe someone else may get a different result from you whilst doing the same thing.

Being fat is probably one of the less dangerous parts of the 'metabolic syndrome' to have on its own. I'd take obesity any day over inflamed arteries or chronic low energy, etc..
    A diet sufficiently heavy in poptarts may win a person one of those other worrying conditions even if it doesn't inflate their waistline.

Interesting post by Peter Attia on whether it is useful to see sugar as a chronic toxin: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/is-sugar-toxic
  • MelRC117
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Everyone chill. It is sometimes hard to believe someone else may get a different result from you whilst doing the same thing.

Being fat is probably one of the less dangerous parts of the 'metabolic syndrome' to have on its own. I'd take obesity any day over inflamed arteries or chronic low energy, etc..
    A diet sufficiently heavy in poptarts may win a person one of those other worrying conditions even if it doesn't inflate their waistline.

Interesting post by Peter Attia on whether it is useful to see sugar as a chronic toxin: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/is-sugar-toxic
    I don't consider sugar toxic lol
    I just like it so much and I want to keep eating more of it. It doesn't make me gain weight in and of itself, it just makes me more hungry. Feeling hunger and acting on it is different than eating it and not acting on it.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

I would hardly consider your posts facts LOL

Sweet molasses! He needs to go eat a poptart and take a nap.

I think many of the posters on this thread are creating the drama where there originally was none. This thread is about "I need help with my low-carb diet" not "Please dissuade me from a diet given to me by a nurse and registered dietician and suggest that I eat foods that I know cause problems for me". That isn't helpful. Low-carb diets aren't magic or the devil. They are just different.

She now knows accuracy is likely her issue, that ketosis doesn't necessarily mean weight loss, that you must have a calorie deficit, many people think she shouldn't be on a low-carb diet, nutritionists are not omnipotent beings, and some people can eat poptarts and still lose weight even though she can't.

Anything else? Helpful things, that is.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why is it that people ask a roomful of people (in this case the internet full) and when they don't like the answers, or agree, suddenly they're bullies?
    OP You're eating more than you think. Get the scale, it will help tremendously.
  • parkscs
    Options
    So bombsell, you honestly eat poptarts for breakfast and chips for lunch and you don't get fat? Really...how does one do that? Even when not dieting, I don't eat like that. Unless you work out all day?

In what world is asking "Wow, you really can do that?" mocking someone? What is it in her post that's mocking? She's not saying someone is fat. She's not saying someone will be fat. She's just a bit surprised/incredulous that someone can do that and not get fat, which is why she follows up to ask if the other person is very active. Are you sure you know what it means to mock someone?

But seriously, how dare her question the ability of other people to eat their precious pop tarts and lose weight. The audacity! The nerve! Frankly I'm shocked her posts haven't been deleted and her account permanently banned from myfitnesspal. The mods must be asleep as the wheel this afternoon.
    I tried Weight Watchers 3 times and lost around 20 lbs. each time, but I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I thought about food ALL the time. It was because I was eating so many wrong foods. Processed foods that were high in carbs.
    The phase I am on, advised by the expert, is not a permanent phase. It's to help get me into ketosis, which I am at. Phase two will start after today.

Really, nothing about struggling to eat those foods in moderation. Hungry all the time.. cravings... which led to her eventually quitting these plans and regaining the weight... ? Yeah, I'm making this up.

Again, nothing at all to suggest she's struggled in the past when it comes to eating these foods in moderation. Nope, nothing of the sort in this thread.
  • parkscs
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why is it that people ask a roomful of people (in this case the internet full) and when they don't like the answers, or agree, suddenly they're bullies?
    OP You're eating more than you think. Get the scale, it will help tremendously.

She agreed weighing her food would be helpful pages ago and said she would begin weighing things. It just gets lost in all the manufactured drama and suggestions to completely alter her routine.
This discussion has been closed.