Green Tea question?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I will only count plain water for my water intake for the day :smile:

Thats your diet, which is fine but stop spreading misinformation to others.
  • pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions! I normally use my bigger mugs which hold about 1 & 1/2 cups of tea. I'm loving the Good & Delish Acai Pomegranate Blueberry Green Tea, and when i have it on hand i'll add half a lemon to normal green tea(i love it sour). Im not a fan of Stevia or honey because they give it a strange taste, and id rather just go without.
  • indiekicks
    indiekicks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I want to get into tea but I dislike hot drinks. I'm going to give it another shot though.

When I make tea for my mom, I add cinnamon to hers and sometimes a little raw honey. I think those are better sweeteners than sugar.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    indiekicks wrote: »
    I want to get into tea but I dislike hot drinks. I'm going to give it another shot though.

When I make tea for my mom, I add cinnamon to hers and sometimes a little raw honey. I think those are better sweeteners than sugar.

Honey is made up of glucose and fructose. Table sugar (whether it is from beets or cane) is made up of sucrose which metabolozes into fructose and glucose. Honey is no healthier than table sugar but might taste better, depending on the person.

• earlnabby
    Options
    I've tried several brands/flavors of green tea, in an effort to increase my fluid intake and stop drinking coffee (I put more sugar in a cup of coffee than I care to admit.) The one I've found the most tolerable is plain, Meijer-brand green tea. I don't add anything to it, and I let it steep as long as possible. I'm getting used to it, and whether it's all in my head or not, I find it decreases my appetite.

Don't use water that is currently boiling (it should be at 185F or lower) and only steep it for 2-3 minutes. Longer than that or higher brewing temps will only bring out more tannins and make it bitter.

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I've tried several brands/flavors of green tea, in an effort to increase my fluid intake and stop drinking coffee (I put more sugar in a cup of coffee than I care to admit.) The one I've found the most tolerable is plain, Meijer-brand green tea. I don't add anything to it, and I let it steep as long as possible. I'm getting used to it, and whether it's all in my head or not, I find it decreases my appetite.

Don't use water that is currently boiling (it should be at 185F or lower) and only steep it for 2-3 minutes. Longer than that or higher brewing temps will only bring out more tannins and make it bitter.

Yep, green tea will burn and taste awful when brewed at a high temperature, or brewed for too long. I used to hate it, until I realized I was making it wrong! Mmmm, tea.
  • jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest things you read about while researching weight loss is that green tea boosts your metabolism. Whenever i drink green tea i always add 2 tsp of sugar,so it doesn't taste like grass. I would like to start drinking more but do you think that there would be no point because of the sugar? Also does passion fruit tea help with weight loss(a friend gave me 5 boxes!)?

Research shows circa 0.5lbs weight loss extra per month on considerable green tea intake (not just a couple of cups). The sugar definitely will not be helping. Take a supplement if you don't like the taste or add it in powder form to a homemade smoothie/juice. Lose the sugar.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I tried green tea once... I didn't get so much a "grass" smell as a "doggie breath" smell. Now, to be fair, this was not a name-brand tea and it was from the cafeteria, so I'm sure there are better ones out there, but I'm having a hard time steeling myself to try again!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love tea - black, green, white - you name it. No sugar - it ruins the taste. And, of course, it needs to be brewed properly - no tea bags, but loose tea and a tea pot. I drink about 4-5 cups a day :D
    Now, I do not believe it helps lose weight (other than makes me walk to the bathroom few more times during the day :D ) , I just enjoy the smell, the taste, and the warmth...
  • brntwaffles27
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    kmack29_ wrote: »
    i'm a huge tea person! i dislike just plain old water, so i drink lots of tea as a way to get my water in! when i started drinking green tea i added sugar as well, but now its straight! i find it an acquired taste. you can try drinking different types of green tea? i'm a big fan of honey lemon ginseng!

you can't count tea as your water intake...water only...but at least you're staying hydrated.

Think youll find its 2l of fluid a day. Tea and Coffee count towards it.

nope, water is water in my book.

Tea, sodas, and coffee all count towards your water intake.
    You don't have to go by "his/her book."

I use to think this, but then I googled it a bit and discovered that the caffeine that is added to the water can actually end up dehydrating you if you don't balance it out with normal decaffeinated water.
  • Brownseabottles
    Options
    I tried green tea for the first time today. I bought Twinings, which I think is a good brand. It said on the box to brew for only 1 to 2 minutes which I did... I quite like it. It doesn't have a strong flavour (possibly because I bought the caffeine-free version), but it's pleasant enough and I can happily drink it without milk. For me it will help weight loss as I'll be using it to replace some of the fruit juice I usually drink. So even if it doesn't actively boost my metabolism, it will help to cut down my calories. :)
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love green tea - but I don't look to it as a miracle weight loss aid. If it helps you to drink more fluids, that's a plus, but the sugar won't do you any favors. I like to make my green tea iced and then add lemon for some flavor and sweetness. It helps me to stay hydrated and feel somewhat energized.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I combine two teas, usually ... Green tea and a fruit herbal tea is my usual go to. No sugar. Just the tea. One trick I found is to not steep it as long as it is said to do ... I find the taste objectionable at the full steeping time.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    i'm a huge tea person! i dislike just plain old water, so i drink lots of tea as a way to get my water in! when i started drinking green tea i added sugar as well, but now its straight! i find it an acquired taste. you can try drinking different types of green tea? i'm a big fan of honey lemon ginseng!

you can't count tea as your water intake...water only...but at least you're staying hydrated.

I use to think this, but then I googled it a bit and discovered that the caffeine that is added to the water can actually end up dehydrating you if you don't balance it out with normal decaffeinated water.

Google again. That information was debunked a few years ago.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Google again. That information was debunked a few years ago.

Yup. The slight diuretic effect is more than offset by all the water it's floating in. :smile:

• crybaby1216
    crybaby1216 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like the berry green tea it isn't as bitter but I don't drink it for weight loss just like the taste of it.
  • bylot
    bylot Posts: 11
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp People read something in a magazine or Facebook share and that's it.. Nothing will change their minds.

As for tea? I love it as a substitute, something to sip on. I alternate between a few different types and as someone above said, it is really important for the taste not to seep it for more than 3 minutes or so - it's like night and day. So if you've tried it but don't like it, that might be why.
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Green Tea is gross when HOT, in my opinion. I will fill a water bottle or glass with cold water, throw a tea bag in, and let it sit for about 30 minutes before drinking it. It's not bad cold! Just water and tea!
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tend to add it to naturally sweet smoothies as a boost. Like spinach, kale, etc. you barely taste it because the other flavors tend to 'mask' the green tea taste. I usually make a concentrated mix to put in my smoothies...6 bags to 2 cups of water. Or just use a sugar substitute.