From 363.4 to 197.7 lbs: My One-Meal-a-Day Success Story

Replies

• Twenty7d
    Twenty7d Posts: 2 Member
    I tell you. You did great... Iv watched a documentary on koisans and they eat about once a day. I learned alot. I think we modern people eat way too much. Iv went on twice a day morning and night, it was crazy hard at first but it changed how i see food etc.
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Please feel free to add me. I have 28 pounds to lose .I'm 4'8 I'm 43 years young !!
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Congrats! Indeed 1 meal a deal does work and a lot of cultures now-a-days still eat this way. You're weight loss is not only noticeable, but also very inspirational!!! Keep it up! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Please feel free to add me. I have 28 pounds to lose .I'm 4'8 I'm 43 years young !!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Awesome!
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    I haven't started this yet, as it is still my backup plan, but one question I have is how do you think constantly switching time slots for meal would affect it. For example, I REALLY like to eat out at lunch with coworkers, so it would be nice for my meal to be at lunch time. However, if I am not eating out with coworkers or on weekends, I rather have my meals at supper. Do you think it would be fine if I didn't stick to same time slot every day and kept swapping between the two, or should I really just stick to same time. (hardest part I guess would be the times I have to go 29-30 hours without eating)..
    Reason I ask it I think it would be hard for me to bring in my OMAD to work. I could definitely do it sometimes, but it limits the type and/or quality of food.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    harmar21 wrote: »
    I haven't started this yet, as it is still my backup plan, but one question I have is how do you think constantly switching time slots for meal would affect it. For example, I REALLY like to eat out at lunch with coworkers, so it would be nice for my meal to be at lunch time. However, if I am not eating out with coworkers or on weekends, I rather have my meals at supper. Do you think it would be fine if I didn't stick to same time slot every day and kept swapping between the two, or should I really just stick to same time. (hardest part I guess would be the times I have to go 29-30 hours without eating)..
    Reason I ask it I think it would be hard for me to bring in my OMAD to work. I could definitely do it sometimes, but it limits the type and/or quality of food.

I wanted to elaborate more on this; many ask if they can vary their time slots, but just asking the question to one's self can often answer it--if you vary your mealtimes, then you are no longer eating OMAD. :-? One meal has to last 23 hours until you eat again, so if you eat when you have an urge, then you naturally will be throwing off the next day's schedule or eating more than once.

All should remember that CONSISTENCY, just like on any eating plan, is key. Your body needs to be used to when you do what. And eating is no different. Your body will respond better if you set the eating window and pick an eating time within that window. Your body can then predict your habits and adjust your metabolism accordingly. That is very, very important.
  • Dear Arguablysamson,

Inspiring story! Great work. Did you do any physical activity during your OMAD journey? I work out a couple of time a week and am interested in adopting OMAD plan. Please advise.

Granddaddy
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    You did it your way and that's all that matters. Well done!
  • arguablysamson
    edited October 2014
    Dear Arguablysamson,

Inspiring story! Great work. Did you do any physical activity during your OMAD journey? I work out a couple of time a week and am interested in adopting OMAD plan. Please advise.

Granddaddy
    At first, it was just light walking and bicycling. Once I got to 260-240, I added in pushups and faster walking/stair-stepping. Then, finally, weights at around 215-ish and running at 200 and downward. And running is what REALLY takes you to the next level. It is something all should at least remotely aspire to at some point.

My advice in PMs to all regarding exercise has been...

1. If you are seriously obese, DO NOT exercise since the chance of injury is too high and the benefits too low since fat is deposited around the internal organs and results in extreme stress, and therefore, cortisol being produced, which slows down weight loss progress (take a look around at how many threads are on the subject of "I'm exercising, why can't I lose?"). Just keep moving regularly and being as active as possible. This is VERY important.

2. If you are just a few lbs overweight, but not obese, then begin with walking, to walk-running, to running, if possible. This may take a while depending on a lot of factors and health issues. The only other precaution here is regarding level of activity; you may need to eat more based on how active you are. This depends on the individual. It is never good to engage in hugely taxing amounts of physical exercise on low calories, so adopt your OMAD plan to your lifestyle.

One other thing...

3. It never hurts to reward your body with the meal about 30 minutes to 1 hour after the most strenuous workout. Try to have a good and dependable workout routine established.

A few variables notwithstanding, the OMAD layout is very versatile and can be adjusted to the individual.
  • bonkers1224
    bonkers1224 Posts: 80 Member
    WOW JUST WOW :)
  • bootcamp85
    bootcamp85 Posts: 64 Member
    unbelievable transformation.
    You look great.
    And hey, Everyone is different and what may work for someone else, may not work for you (Eating one meal a day).
    Hey, Kudos to you....You look absolutely fantastic
  • ShantelRae72
    ShantelRae72 Posts: 57 Member
    Hi there have been reading all the posts and great job. I am 43 year old single mother at 240 pounds. I started this 3 days ago after stumbling on your story. So far seems to be going great. I am a terrible binge eater. My ? Is what do you consider a splurge day. Eating healthy all day or what you want a few times a day. I want to make sure I do this right. Im picking up the apple vinegar tommorrow. Thanks
  • ShantelRae72
    edited October 2014
    Seems to be working great on work days. I'm planning Sunday as splurge day . Basically what's to much or really what's to little to push metabolism into high gear because these days are neccasary for good results correct ? Also been doing my 1 meal pretty low carb
  • arguablysamson
    edited October 2014
    Wow. This makes 96 people now doing this because of me. lol

ONLY AFTER the first two weeks, bring in the one splurge day per week. In the splurge, you can do grazing all day or one crazy meal, but it's up to you. Then, when done, resume eating at your normal mealtime. From then on, each week can have a splurge day, but never two back-to-back.

So, so many people find that they see progress right after the splurge day. You'll feel like a lion after he has splurged, so just lay around and enjoy! For those concerned about the binging, yes, this will control the tendency (so long as the plan is followed faithfully).

Sunday was my weigh day, but the splurge days always varied for me. Don't stress about quantities. Just fill up your plate or count calories (I prefer the plate myself), but consistency is the key. No second portions and no grazing! Sit down to eat and get up and you're done! You'll be getting less calories than you otherwise would have been, and thus, will be on your way to big losing.
  • ShantelRae72
    thank you. So I hsd my splurge day yesterday ( didnt know about two weeks) so can I keep my splurge day always on Sundsy because you said mix it up but that would be my hardest day. I am going to start over now for two weeks no splurge? also I just picked up the apple vinager from health food store it says can be daily or is there a reason you only do it twice a week. Sorry for all the questions. oh and is two splurge days nessecary for better resultsand can i have whatevet I want on that day...the splurge days just have me confused on what and when
  • ShantelRae72
    sorry more specific is junk or fastfood allowed on splurge day
  • arguablysamson
    edited October 2014
    1) For the first half-month I did this, I did it with apple cider vinegar every day with orange or grape juice. Then I went to twice a week. It's up to you. It can be daily. Just felt excessive to me to do everyday with such acidic stuff.

2) Just about ANYTHING is allowed on ANY day. You will lose all the same. :wink: You can do junk food. Just know that it can make you experience more hunger pains on your lean days. Caution is advised with any straight sugars. Splurge days...it matters not.

I was so scared of failing at first that I decided to almost never touch a single piece of cake, candy, or cookie etc. and can literally count on one hand the times I splurged with sugar junk until about the 6th or 8th month I was doing this. This was what caused me to develop a rule that whatever I put into my body needed to not just taste good, but be beneficial in some small way. So, for sweets, I went to honey sandwiches and/or peanut butter sandwiches.

I've sense gone to giving myself sweet treats here and there and I can enjoy them without worry nowadays whether I'm doing one or multiple meals. So make that call for yourself.
  • ShantelRae72
    Thanks so much. I have basically cut out all sweets. I was doing low carb for so long ( got nowhere) that Im trying to tell myself I can eat bread again but Im still paying attention. Yesterday had the first day off besides Sunday and It was hard but simpler somehow because I kbew I just couldnt eat till it was time. thanks for answering back .Today Ill weigh in at work. Congrats again and Ill keep you posted.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!