No strength, can't do cardio, and I need to lose and get strong! Begging for answers!

Options
Let me clarify. I can do cardio. Light cardio. I'm battling some health issues that have me seeing a cardiologist and the aspects of it put cardio out of the question. Example, brisk walk puts my HR in the 170s and 30 second run hits 210.

Next, my strength is nothing. I know. I am ashamed. I am so ashamed of what I've done to my body. After battling eating disorders my entire life, then gaining 70lbs on bed rest while pregnant, AND being lazy/scared/intimidated about ever improving in the last year after my daughter was born, I am a mess. Example, I can't hold a plank position 30 seconds, my legs burn from walking at a pace that is normal to most, and my back is extremely weak and painful. (Have I mentioned I am only 21?)

BG: I have already lost nearly 20 lbs (technically 30 but I started MFP after losing 10) by eating healthy + cardio. I couldn't take the pain of cardio anymore, and when I found out why, I was absolutely crushed. It has thrown me off a lot, and I stopped all efforts for 2 months. I was/am so discouraged. I also have some personal issues going on right now that have/had my motivation at 0. I have about 30 more to lose as my first goal (natural weight), and to go from there.

Does anyone have exercise advice? Please keep in mind that I am very weak, weaker than most people even experience pre-exercise. I don't mind the pain but I'm simply not capable of a lot of common exercises and programs at this time. Thank you for reading or any responses!

Replies

• luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by diet alone. Eat at a deficit and you will lose.

Its easier to do while exercising in my opinion though. More calories to eat :smile:

Do you have access to a pool? laps are great. Slow and easy.
    Walking at a slow pace for 10 mins at a time until you can to 15 mins then 20 etc.
    You can try body weight exercises where you just use your body weight to perform the moves. Once those exercises become easy you can add weights to make it more challenging.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Strength isn't a blessing bestowed by magic. Strength is built. And everyone starts from where they're at when they decide to start!

With your doctor's advice, select some strength-building exercises or a program, and get at it. Some months from now you'll no longer be able to say that your strength is nothing or that you're ashamed because of it.
  • Followedauthor
    Options
    I would get a doctor's opinion first. You didn't say what your health issue is but just found out that someone I love could have died if she exercised because of out of control pulmonary hypertension and she's in her late 30s. Start there and I think luckydays27 is right on with her suggestions. Walking in a pool and a slow stationery bike is all I can do now. Good luck.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor. You have medical conditions, nobody here would be qualified to give you advice.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Start where you are, with what you can do.
    Be flexible & forgiving of yourself.
    Don't hurt yourself by pushing too hard, too fast. Listen to your doctor.

For building strength, run this by your doctor. It's a body weight workout, and you can control the intensity, do it anywhere, so you're not "wasting" a trip to the gym or being stuck on the other side of the block when you can't walk any more.
    The article has a link to the study published by the American College of Sports Medicine, which says pretty much what the article does, only harder to read. So this is supported by science.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/
  • levicrouch
    Options
    Your perceived weakness is just a story you tell yourself. Humans are pretty good at telling stories, clever stories that help us to live with the decisions we have made.

The good news is that beyond the moment you read this, that story has not yet been written. You as the author get to decide upon the story you tell your future self.

Start with a caloric deficit (sounds like you are already doing that). As far as exercise goes, do what you can and build off of it.

One of the most helpful things for my personal weight loss journey is to set little goals each week. Pick a day to reflect back on the previous week. Be honest with yourself about what worked and what didn't work. Set new achievable goals for the week ahead. If you could only do 5 minutes of exercise, then set a goal of 6 minutes of exercise for the next week. If you miss your goal, set another goal with adjustments if necessary.

Full disclosure: The references to the 'story telling' is from the book Crucial Conversations. I highly recommend the book or audiobook.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Diet without exercise to tell the body you want the muscle is the recipe for losing muscle mass - you'll want that later.

Suggest that until you have figured out whatever is causing your elevated HR and if it matters, you take less deficit - basically eating more, but still less than you burn.

The last thing you need is to lose muscle mass, which will mean having to eat even less than if you have it, making reaching goal even harder, and maintenance even worse.

So if you have up to 15 lbs to lose, take the 1/2 lb weekly option.
    15 to 30 - 1 lb weekly
    30 to 60 - 1.5 lb weekly
    over 60 - 2 lb weekly

Can you do body weight squats and push ups and similar, just a few every hour on the hour, to remind your body you need those muscles?
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Can you slow stroll for a few hours?

I don't do any exercise that feels like it calls for exertion either right now but I do do a lot of "activity" that expends calories.

Best of luck in your efforts! And don't be discouraged! You could have 100 lbs to lose to get to even being "overweight" instead of "obese" like a lot of us!

No matter our limitations I still think a leisurely walk has a lot of benefits. It might not be pro muscle building territory but it's a start and better than nothing!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Talk to a doctor. You have medical conditions, nobody here would be qualified to give you advice.
    This. As much as there are those that would line up to give you advice.

This is the only reasonable advice you'll find. There are far too many health related variables for anyone on this forum to give you any reasonable, rational, or responsible advice.

There are a lot of standards we all like to suggest, but when cardiac issues come up, we can't do that. It's taking your survival and putting it at risk. Talk to your treatment team.
  • browndog1410
    Options
    This is very good advice. Many people have good intentions but may not have the clinical awareness that you need. See your doctor, then based on this consult a qualified trainer. You're 21 and you have many years to achieve better outcomes for yourself. Life is not a sprint but a marathon.
    Good luck
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The more you do, the more you will be able to do. Do what you can and don't think about what you 'should' be able to do. Over time, you will get stronger.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Absolutely this. It used to say so at the bottom of the page. It still should.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Strength isn't a blessing bestowed by magic. Strength is built. And everyone starts from where they're at when they decide to start!

With your doctor's advice, select some strength-building exercises or a program, and get at it. Some months from now you'll no longer be able to say that your strength is nothing or that you're ashamed because of it.

all of this.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Cait_Sidhe wrote: »

Absolutely this. It used to say so at the bottom of the page. It still should.

Quoted many times - worth quoting again. Sound advice; too many well meaning experts on MFP.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You cant fake strong. The only way to look strong is to actually be physically strong. The only way to get strong, is to build it from nothing.

Dont aim for what you can handle.

Aiming for where you are, will effectively keep you there.

Pick up weights that are a little too heavy - and put out 3 reps.

Next time, do 5.

Next time, add more weight.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Instead of picking up weights and killing your back more like people are suggesting, talk to your doctor and ask if you can do yoga or Pilates. After all, these exercises still strengthen your body and they're done on the floor. And continue walking slowly, that helps too. But don't forget to talk with your doctor. :smile:
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Please speak with your cardiologist about this and get their advice on exercise and whether or not you can SAFELY engage in any right now.

I was on several years of exercise restriction after I ended up with dilated cardiomyopathy during my pregnancy. Exercise was NOT safe for me at that time. I obeyed my cardiologist when he put me on meds, told me to eat a very sodium restricted diet, and NOT to exercise.

I was allowed to walk slowly, and that was it. The aim was to keep my heart rate down because it was weak and damaged, and enlarged. It was causing congestive heart failure. My cardiologist gave me strict instructions, and I followed them, and I credit that with my improvement with a heart condition that rarely improves, causes lots of hospitalizations, pacemaker implants, and eventually heart transplant and/or death.

As it stands right now, you may have to accept that you are a bit overweight. If you are cleared by the doctor(s) to restrict caloric intake, follow their suggestions. You can lose weight with changing your diet alone, and creating an effective deficit.

Just don't take this into your own hands. Please.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ask for a referral to physical therapy. You don't have to be weak, but you should get professional help to start building up your strength safely.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

^^^^^
    Great Advice~!