Thoughts on veganism?

Options
Hello! I'm a vegan (only of a month, but it still counts right? Haha.) And I'm wanting to hear all of your opinions or experiences in being vegan? Just out of curiosity! I respect all opinions.

Thanks! :smiley:

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've never been a vegan, but definitely respect the principles of veganism. Why did you become a vegan? Ethical reasons I assume.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Most vegans dont know wtf veganism is. Thats my thoughts.
  • vegankalequeen
    Options

Explain?
  • Hornsby
    Options

Explain?

I am guessing it's because a lot of people do it because they think it's healthier, or that they can lose faster with it, and things of that nature rather than for ethical reasons which is really the only reason to be a vegan.

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the idea that the use of animal products is unethical.
  • vegankalequeen
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Explain?

I am guessing it's because a lot of people do it because they think it's healthier, or that they can lose faster with it, and things of that nature rather than for ethical reasons which is really the only reason to be a vegan.

Oh, okay. Yeah thats true. Veganism is -not- a weight loss plan! And I did it for ethical reasons because I don't agree with anything the meat/egg/dairy industry does.
  • vegankalequeen
    Options
    I disagree with the idea that the use of animal products is unethical.

Though I respect your opinion, and I agree that the use of animal products isn't all that bad, but the way we get these products is pretty messed up. Its sick.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would dispute the health benefits when compared to a nutrient dense diet that contains some portion of animal products. I think the China Study is silly. But having said both of those things I don't care if someone chooses to be vegan.

I do think that respecting all opinions is silly and wrong. People are entitled to their opinion but if their opinion is full of hatred then I don't respect it. Think of the opinions of certain hate mongering groups -- do you respect those opinions? I hope not. But that's an aside and I probably shouldn't derail your thread.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    oh dear. this went sideways quickly.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    not for me. You do have to make sure you are getting all your protein if you make the jump.

29509743.png
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options

Explain?

Oh, okay. Yeah thats true. Veganism is -not- a weight loss plan! And I did it for ethical reasons because I don't agree with anything the meat/egg/dairy industry does.
    If you are vegan for ethical reason because you don't agree with industry pratices, is there a reason you did not move to eating ethically produced animal products?
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm a transitioning vegan but I will never officially wear that label because I'm still striving for about 90 %. Ethical reasons aside the diet is healthier. I cook mostly vegetarian at home and rarely eat red meat. I will still eat eggs (cage free) here and there and chicken in small doses.

The way the animals are treated is horrendous end of story but a lot of things that go on in this world are horrendous, its a sad truth. I do the best I can. I'm kind to others in all walks of life and I try to live my life as gentle as possible.

OP have you noticed any health benefits now that you're a month in?
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I respect people who choose that way of life, but it's not for me.
  • vegankalequeen
    Options

Explain?

If you are vegan for ethical reason because you don't agree with industry pratices, is there a reason you did not move to eating ethically produced animal products?

Because there is no such thing as "ethically killing" anything. At least in my opinion.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    There are studies of some of the longest living humans on the planet. They live in Japan and are vegans. Studies conclude a large part of the reason they live longer is because of their vegan diet. So I definitely understand being vegan. When people do it for ethical reasons however, it is a very rare case that I meet a vegan who has actually done sufficient research of both sides of the animal product industry to be making a well informed choice. Most just watch a PETA video and take it for gospel.

Me, personally, I love meat too much to do it... and I don't care much for beans so I don't know if I'd be able to make myself get enough protein and still enjoy life. I'm also iron deficient and it is a medical fact (from my doctor as well as my pharmacists) that your body doesn't absorb plant-based iron even close to as well as it does animal-based iron. I'm also at risk of a B12 deficiency (genetically) which can only be obtained from animal products (especially since I tend to barf when I take vitamins). So for me, it doesn't make sense to be vegan.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

Explain?

Many people follow the aspects of veganism that fit their beliefs while disregarding other aspects which are crucial to its core definition. I think I'm going to call them "veganisnts". In all honesty, I could care less what people call themselves. Carry on.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Ethical reasons aside the diet is healthier.

No, it's not.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Explain?

Because there is no such thing as "ethically killing" anything. At least in my opinion.
    Haha but can you ethically kill a plant? If so, then nothing wrong with chopping trees for Christmas or cutting down the trees in a rainforest, especially if it helps preserve human life. Studies have also shown that plants feel pain.

I would understand not agreeing ethically with the treatment some animals go through before they are killed.
  • vegankalequeen
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    There are studies of some of the longest living humans on the planet. They live in Japan and are vegans. Studies conclude a large part of the reason they live longer is because of their vegan diet. So I definitely understand being vegan. When people do it for ethical reasons however, it is a very rare case that I meet a vegan who has actually done sufficient research of both sides of the animal product industry to be making a well informed choice. Most just watch a PETA video and take it for gospel.

Me, personally, I love meat too much to do it... and I don't care much for beans so I don't know if I'd be able to make myself get enough protein and still enjoy life. I'm also iron deficient and it is a medical fact (from my doctor as well as my pharmacists) that your body doesn't absorb plant-based iron even close to as well as it does animal-based iron. I'm also at risk of a B12 deficiency (genetically) which can only be obtained from animal products (especially since I tend to barf when I take vitamins). So for me, it doesn't make sense to be vegan.

Do what works for you!
  • ohsweetballs
    ohsweetballs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for two years, vegetarian for a decade. Ethical reasons as well. I feel amazing mentally, lots more mental clarity. Physically, I feel 'lighter' if that makes sense - my digestive tract feels cleaner, not as heavy. Hard to explain. But I've only seen good things. Iron is fine (I donate blood), B12 is fine, plenty of protein. Feels good man. :)