Clean Eating vs Exercise

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    TrainerLB wrote: »
    @solar_cat that's a great point. Although in my experience most people do one or the other (food or exercise) and then don't really get the result they're looking for. You can train your butt off in the gym, but if you go home and eat pizza you may lose weight, but your body will still be, let's say, less toned.

But I agree with you.

So you can't be toned and eat pizza?

Apparently not. Which is weird, because I eat pizza, and I keep seeing the outline of muscles visible under my skin.
  • TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @hornsby In certain scenarios I'm sure you could have a piece here and there and still achieve a nice physique, but if it's a daily thing and the majority of your calories and nutrients are coming from pizza, I'm going to say possibly no. Sure there are genetic exceptions (Arnold) but for the average person eating pizza daily would not be an idea carb nor protein source and really wouldn't yield superior results.

However, if the calories and nutrients derived from the pizza are, let's say, accounting for less than 10% of your daily intake, then sure you can eat pizza and get toned. Lol.

I'm not an expert in pizza nutrition.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    80% diet, but I wouldnt dismiss exercise as it can earn you calories to eatback or burn more to lose more weight, but you have to do quite a lot. It all depends how much you do.

Exercising portion control to a deficit is easier, but exercise tends to be additional.

The other benefits of getting fitter are a good plus and important for me.

Dont think clean eating has anything directly to do with weight loss if you can sustain the deficit just eating dirty so to speak. Many people will find eating more fuit and veg plus lean meats helps them through their diet though, so it can compliment a diet.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    mtoolan wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone notice that how you feel greatly affects how well you can stick to an eating plan and/or an exercise plan? "Clean eating" makes me feel better. If I feel better it is easier to prepare healthy meals and avoid junk food. If I feel well it is a whole lot easier to stick with the exercise plan. An upward spiral, I would call it.

Thats fine. But it is not a factor in weight loss when calories are the same. Nutrition, health, mood sure. Eat as "clean" as you want with how ever you define it. The problem starts when someone claims it is necessary for weight change.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @hornsby In certain scenarios I'm sure you could have a piece here and there and still achieve a nice physique, but if it's a daily thing and the majority of your calories and nutrients are coming from pizza, I'm going to say possibly no. Sure there are genetic exceptions (Arnold) but for the average person eating pizza daily would not be an idea carb nor protein source and really wouldn't yield superior results.

However, if the calories and nutrients derived from the pizza are, let's say, accounting for less than 10% of your daily intake, then sure you can eat pizza and get toned. Lol.

I'm not an expert in pizza nutrition.

You are oh so wrong in so much of your thoughts. There are numerous people on here (myself included) that would disagree with the body to prove it.

ETA: obviously I don't mean eating pizza for every meal, but extremes don't work for any food.

• Hornsby
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @solar_cat that's a great point. Although in my experience most people do one or the other (food or exercise) and then don't really get the result they're looking for. You can train your butt off in the gym, but if you go home and eat pizza you may lose weight, but your body will still be, let's say, less toned.

But I agree with you.

So you can't be toned and eat pizza?

Apparently not. Which is weird, because I eat pizza, and I keep seeing the outline of muscles visible under my skin.

Lol - same problem I'm facing. Some people just don't understand nutrition. That's okay though. They will learn eventually.

• TrainerLB
    Options
    @hornsby haha, I really didn't mean to turn this into a debate about the merits of eating pizza. Can we just say that some humans could eat pizza all the time and look great while some cannot?

I fall into the second category but I totally believe you if you're part of the pizza-all-the-time-crew. I live with one of those. Super jealous. I was just offering advice for the semi-average person who generally can't eat pizza all the time and be hella fit.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    @hornsby haha, I really didn't mean to turn this into a debate about the merits of eating pizza. Can we just say that some humans could eat pizza all the time and look great while some cannot?

I fall into the second category but I totally believe you if you're part of the pizza-all-the-time-crew. I live with one of those. Super jealous. I was just offering advice for the semi-average person who generally can't eat pizza all the time and be hella fit.

Firstly, your first post didn't mention "pizza all the time". You said one couldn't eat pizza and get results. Obviously, there needs to be a variety to hit your macros. Just as broccoli all the time wouldn't be ideal either. Just don't tell people they can't eat foods they like in moderation.

• TrainerLB
    Options
    And now you're kind of making fun of me which is hurting my little feelings. There's no right and wrong when it comes to nutrition. Can we just high-five it out and go back to being polite grown-ups who don't put other people's opinions down?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    For an optimal healthy lifestyle I have found properly balancing nutrition, exercise, hydration and sleep is essential (aka your lifestyle!).

If you increase or decrease one of the above you will notice a change in your body. If you want to lose weight, be athletic and healthy you should definitely balance all four. If you just want to drop a few pounds you may be fine with just switching to clean eating.

When I eat more clean my body feels better, I have less acne, I sleep better, I workout harder, etc. When I eat crappy food I feel crappy. So there is definitely something to be said when it comes to what kind of food you are eating (but yes you can technically lose weight on crappy food). There is also a difference in casually doing a cycling class and hitting the gym to do some sprint work and super sets.

It boils down to what your goals and priorities are....
  • TrainerLB
    Options
    In certain scenarios I'm sure you could have a piece here and there and still achieve a nice physique, but if it's a daily thing and the majority of your calories and nutrients are coming from pizza, I'm going to say possibly no.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I think clean eating is good and/or important because it helps a person stay under or at their calorie target. I can eat a huge plate of veggies and a piece of lean meat for lower calories than say... a pizza :smile:

Just because you're lost in the woods isn't to say your compass is broken.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's really quite simple. Eat less than you burn=weight loss. Exercise increases the amount of your burn so you can eat more and still lose. Eating clean will probably increase the volume of food (depending on your choices and definition of clean eating) and leave you feeling fuller. Also, exercise will tone your muscles making you look better (and smaller). Move more so you can eat more, but stay in a calorie deficit to lose.
  • kc_112
    kc_112 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread There is a lot of good info/feedback :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I dont find this clean eating talk positive at all. I think we should concentrate on all things in moderation. i have people on my friends list who freak out when they eat things like pizza, then try and get rid of it.

I agree with the comments re calorie deficit is what is needed. exercise is an added bonus.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I find the thing about eating clean is that you can eat more of it; pizzas & fast foods are calorie dense so the enjoyment is short lived, & my body definitely feels better when I put good things in it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is that losing weight is 80% about diet and 20% about exercise. How "eating clean" fits into that I don't know. I would think as long as you're getting your daily intake of vitamins, minerals and macros, your diet would be fine (assuming you're also restricting calories to create a deficit)
  • TrainerLB
    Options
    Let me clarify, if you have a balanced, healthy diet, you will see results in combination with exercise and lifestyle. I'm using the pizza-all-day example as an extreme to indicate excluding the healthy diet factor.

You can eat pizza! In moderation and balance, mow down. But some people go to the gym and then think mistakenly they can eat it or other junk food very frequently and then don't see results.

Lemme just say it one more bloody time so I don't get continually crucified: you can eat pizza.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options

Hehe I think the only reason you might fall into category 2 is if you just LOVE pizza to much and eat too much of it! As in more than 1 - 2 slices at a time... (depending on your calorie allowance).