Thoughts on veganism?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the idea that the use of animal products is unethical.

Though I respect your opinion, and I agree that the use of animal products isn't all that bad, but the way we get these products is pretty messed up. Its sick.

You dont sound vegan to me. It sounds like you have no issue with family farm raised and slaughtered animals. Sounds more like ya watched a few netflix documentaries and got appalled by the food industry conglomerates. Thats not veganism.

Im gonna go put on some wool socks and rake some leaves.

Veganism has do with what you eat and nothing else.
    Trolling or clueless?

Neither. Just someone that knows the meaning of the word "vegan".
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the idea that the use of animal products is unethical.

Though I respect your opinion, and I agree that the use of animal products isn't all that bad, but the way we get these products is pretty messed up. Its sick.

You dont sound vegan to me. It sounds like you have no issue with family farm raised and slaughtered animals. Sounds more like ya watched a few netflix documentaries and got appalled by the food industry conglomerates. Thats not veganism.

Im gonna go put on some wool socks and rake some leaves.

Veganism has do with what you eat and nothing else.
    Trolling or clueless?

Neither. Just someone that knows the meaning of the word "vegan".

Not according to the American Vegan Society:
    "VEGANS (pronounced VEE-guns) Live on products of the plant kingdom. Veganism is compassion in action. It is a philosophy, diet, and lifestyle.

Veganism is an advanced way of living in accordance with Reverence for Life, recognizing the rights of all living creatures, and extending to them the compassion, kindness, and justice exemplified in the Golden Rule.

Vegans eat solely from the plant kingdom: vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains, nuts and seeds. Vegans express nonviolence towards animals and the Earth.
    AVS promotes good health practices and harmonious living.

Vegans exclude flesh, fish, fowl, dairy products (animal milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.), eggs, honey, animal gelatin, and all other foods of animal origin.

Veganism also excludes animal products such as leather, wool, fur, and silk in clothing, upholstery, etc. Vegans usually make efforts to avoid the less-than-obvious animal oils, secretions, etc., in many products such as soaps, cosmetics, toiletries, household goods and other common commodities."

Source: http://www.americanvegan.org/vegan.htm
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Boom goes the dynamite.

• JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I have to say, I love the term "artisan".

I make bread, bacon. Once I slap an artisan sticker and affectation on my bacon, I've been selling it for $20 a pound to hipsters, while everyone else gets it at $10 a pound.

:wink: I know! some people go nuts with the "artisan" thing... but well, how do you define a product that is made without the industrial standards? organic? artisan? homegrown? pirate? :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Let's make sure it's understood, just the impact of REAL veganism, and not the pogue-ish half play most make at it.

There are fewer vaccines and medical treatments you can avail yourself of, thanks to the use of hermit crabs, and animal products used in the making of vaccines.
    Oh, snake anti-venin? Right out.
    Gas for your car? Better switch to corn based ethanol, because petroleum is an animal product.
    That sweet leather jacket? Nope.
    Red dye - for the most part, nope.
    Chocolate? Nope.

I can go on, but let's make sure, if you're going vegan. Go vegan.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vegan
    veg·an
    noun \ˈvē-gən also ˈvā- also ˈve-jən or -ˌjan\
    : a person who does not eat any food that comes from animals and who often also does not use animal products (such as leather)

Using petroleum and getting vaccines does not mean one doesn't have a vegan diet.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Let's make sure it's understood, just the impact of REAL veganism, and not the pogue-ish half play most make at it.

There are fewer vaccines and medical treatments you can avail yourself of, thanks to the use of hermit crabs, and animal products used in the making of vaccines.
    Gas for your car? Better switch to corn based ethanol, because petroleum is an animal product.
    Chocolate? Nope.

veg·an
    : a person who does not eat any food that comes from animals and who often also does not use animal products (such as leather)

Using petroleum and getting vaccines does not mean one doesn't have a vegan diet.
    Oh I'm sorry, I thought you caught it, but since you didn't.
    acheben wrote:
    "VEGANS (pronounced VEE-guns) Live on products of the plant kingdom. Veganism is compassion in action. It is a philosophy, diet, and lifestyle.

Veganism is an advanced way of living in accordance with Reverence for Life, recognizing the rights of all living creatures, and extending to them the compassion, kindness, and justice exemplified in the Golden Rule.

Vegans eat solely from the plant kingdom: vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains, nuts and seeds. Vegans express nonviolence towards animals and the Earth.

Vegans exclude flesh, fish, fowl, dairy products (animal milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.), eggs, honey, animal gelatin, and all other foods of animal origin.

Veganism also excludes animal products such as leather, wool, fur, and silk in clothing, upholstery, etc. Vegans usually make efforts to avoid the less-than-obvious animal oils, secretions, etc., in many products such as soaps, cosmetics, toiletries, household goods and other common commodities."

That makes it crystal clear. Your definition is irrelevant. :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan nor will I ever be vegan. I say to each their own, whatever floats your boat.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have to say, I love the term "artisan".

I make bread, bacon. Once I slap an artisan sticker and affectation on my bacon, I've been selling it for $20 a pound to hipsters, while everyone else gets it at $10 a pound.

:wink: I know! some people go nuts with the "artisan" thing... but well, how do you define a product that is made without the industrial standards? organic? artisan? homegrown? pirate? :)

I like "Normal". However, calling something normal doesn't increase my profit margin, so it's craft, or small batch, or artisan.

I saw a place selling granola in Portland Oregon. (Surprise, right?) They had it labeled "Craft, Small Batch, Artisan Granola made with Hand Raised Organic Ingredients."

Seriously, that's what the sticker on the bag read. 4 serving bag, (200gr) $6 per serving.

I was in awe, because not only did they have the stones to sell at that price, most flavors were sold out.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Chocolate? Nope.

And you can add most beer to the above list ( fish bladders used for processing)
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    dayone987 wrote: »

Chocolate? Nope.

And you can add most beer to the above list ( fish bladders used for processing)

Wouldn't it be out anyway? Because of the yeast?
  • dbmata
    Options

Chocolate? Nope.

Yeast is more akin to a mold to be very generic, it's definitely not an animal.

Isinglass isn't really used in non BMC beers. If it is a craft beer, they probably don't use isinglass, as there isn't a need to get crystal clear. Bud, Miller, Coors however use isinglass for a few reasons, one being cost, another is consistent product, and as a method of reducing flavor in the finished product.

Stick with good beers and it's not an issue. :)
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Chocolate? Nope.

If the term " living creatures" applies to fungus (which yeast is according to my Google "research" )
  • dbmata
    Options

Chocolate? Nope.

If the term " living creatures" applies to fungus (which yeast is according to my Google "research" )
    Easy test: Can vegans eat mushrooms?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Chocolate? Nope.

veg·an

acheben wrote:

Yeah, dictionaries are such stupid places to look for word definitions. :p
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    I get a kick out of that egg commercial: "Our hens are fed a vegetarian diet" as if that somehow makes their eggs "healthier". Chickens are not vegetarians.
    True! They're insectivores!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I get a kick out of that egg commercial: "Our hens are fed a vegetarian diet" as if that somehow makes their eggs "healthier". Chickens are not vegetarians.

Chickens will eat about anything and love vegetables, fruit and many flowers. And bugs.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Chocolate? Nope.

Easy test: Can vegans eat mushrooms?

Plants are living things too. They are alive and they are sensitive. They respond to changes in the environment... they have feelings. They can detect damage to themselves and respond to it.

There comes a point at which we just have to accept that we are animals and as such incapable of photosynthesising, and therefore dependent on ingesting other organisms to get the energy to stay alive.

This is one of my all time favourite threads: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1332132/looking-for-fooditarian-friends
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Chickens will eat about anything and love vegetables, fruit and many flowers. And bugs.
    That's because we've been raising them that way. But they're classified as an insectivore much like a robin would be.
    A cat is a carnivore, but will eat grass.
    Deer will eat birds if they can get hold of them - this one freaked me right out when I saw the Youtube video of a deer eating a bird...
    There are exceptions for every animal.
  • dbmata
    Options

Chocolate? Nope.

veg·an

acheben wrote:

Yeah, dictionaries are such stupid places to look for word definitions. :p

Not generally. However, when talking about a fringe religion, cult, or anything like that, it's not going to give an entire context or definition. You know that. :)
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    If I were moved to avoid factory farm produced animal products, I would seek out "ethically raised" animal products. Because of cost, that might mean I'd have to reduce the amount of animal products in my diet, but that wouldn't be the same as totally eliminating them on principal.

Veganism seems like the most extreme option and mostly for people who have a moral objection to the very idea of animal products.

While I respect the right of everyone to have any opinion they choose, I don't think that particular opinion makes sense considering our biology. Humans are omnivores biologically. Trying to fight that seems like an unnecessary PITA.

Agreed. Same perspective.