Thoughts on veganism?

Options

Replies

• maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    This has probably been said here, but alas I don't have all day to read 7 pgs of comments - of the vegans (and even some of the vegetarians) I know, most have a hard time getting the nutrients the bodies needs that meat provides. Sure, you can pop a pill or drink a supplement, but many times there are other ingredients in those things that a body doesn't need. For me, the old adage rings true....everything in moderation.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan. I don't think I could ever be, as dairy & cheese is kinda hard-wired into my DNA (proud born & raised Cheese-head here, with an English mum! lol)

However, I recently decided to go all the way & became ova-lacto vegetarian. Hasn't been too hard on me, as I haven't eaten pork products in decades, red meat was basically ground beef like once, twice a month. Why did I do it? Simply because I don't like the taste of meat. Never have. Why make myself eat something I don't like?

If it makes you happy, then do it. And define your own parameters. Just don't be militant or try to convert others to it. My sons are plenty happy being carnivores. They know not to "tease" me about my choice, and I don't take away their meat options.

So now, like my 17 year old puts it, I'm a "total lesbian" with food! (don't like nuts, either...)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »
    My point is that good, whole, local food is accessible and I eat it and everything else (lots of food movements are extremely classists and unsustainable for poor folks or large families).

Nice for this to be acknowledged. The unhealthiest I've been diet-wise was when I was the poorest; and living among other poor people, you see how this happens.
    This is especially true in MA. When I lived in the Boston area you had Market Basket on one side, where sure... half of what was there "fell out of a van". The other side you had the "artisan" hipster hives where you could pay $15.99 a pound for beautiful berkshire pork that was hand raised and butchered/processed in the store by hand.

It makes a great play to how homie and hipstery your food can be, because look, that pork chop came with an entire biography and gilded price tag. The reality is, for most people, they're at the Market Basket buying the best available and banking on the fact that the food there is cheap.
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    FayeandBo wrote: »
    Just for the record as well, going vegetarian cuts your carbon foot print in half.

You mean, "has the potential to cut your footprint in half."

Some of the most amazing desserts I've ever had were raw vegan from this vegan cafe in SF. Dear god.

I don't understand this answer. What do desserts have to do with carbon footprint?

Two discrete statements. >_<
    Let me know if I need to explain further.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ...people who assume you're an extreme vegan. As I keep saying, I love animals more than anything so don't want to eat them.
    Is there any other kind of vegan?

I love animals as well, that's why I personally kill as much of my meat as possible. I give them the gift of a swift, dignified end. Something they won't get in nature or a processing plant.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Aren't most documentaries one-sided?
    Good ones are not.
  • thelazydandelion
    thelazydandelion Posts: 58 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ...people who assume you're an extreme vegan. As I keep saying, I love animals more than anything so don't want to eat them.
    Is there any other kind of vegan?

I love animals as well, that's why I personally kill as much of my meat as possible. I give them the gift of a swift, dignified end. Something they won't get in nature or a processing plant.

Yes there is actually, some people do it because they hate the taste, some people do it to lose weight (bloody Beyonce and Jay Z) and I'm sure there are plenty other reasons but I don't think there is any point in listing them.

I personally don't think killing anything is a gift.

Something I keep forgetting to say is that I think what we eat is all just learned behavior most of the time, I ate meat and dairy because that was the norm and that's all I got so I had to re train my brain a bit. On a personal level, I loved cheese but I always felt bloated after it and I would often just automatically put cheese on things which actually ruined the lovely flavours of the food lol
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Humans are naturally omnivores. Everything else is just fashion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Good ones are not.

Being one-sided doesn't necessarily make a documentary bad.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Good ones are not.

I would argue that.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I wish we were phototrophs or chemotrophs. Things would be so much simpler!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Good ones are not.

I would argue that.

That would be fine, but probably should do it in another thread so as not to hijack this one.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Good ones are not.

I would argue that.

That would be fine, but probably should do it in another thread so as not to hijack this one.

This one has gone far beyond hijacking.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Veganism for ethics is a personal choice. Veganism for health is nonsense.
  • Basilin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good ones are not.

I would argue that.

I am curious why Food, Inc. is considered one sided. What is the "other side"? Talk of the Green Revolution and merits of industrialized farming? We've been hearing that for decades. The point of that movie is to question those things, not be a news tribune article.

• dbmata
    Options
    Good ones are not.

Falling into bias certainly does. Generally a one-sided story is due to bias. There's a couple that I've seen that were single sided, but were fair and balanced. I don't think any of them were from US producers though.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I wish we were phototrophs or chemotrophs. Things would be so much simpler!

And we wouldn't be fat!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Good ones are not.

I would argue that.

I am curious why Food, Inc. is considered one sided. What is the "other side"? Talk of the Green Revolution and merits of industrialized farming? We've been hearing that for decades.

Feed lots where cows don't have holes in their stomachs?
  • dbmata
    Options
    By the 5th or 6th time you watch a group of predators begin feasting on a still living prey animal, you come to realize that yeah... it really can be.
  • Basilin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    By the 5th or 6th time you watch a group of predators begin feasting on a still living prey animal, you come to realize that yeah... it really can be.

Yeah... I care about animals too and if I see a small wild animal that is injured, I'll take it to be euthanized if it can't be rehabilitated (sometimes I've had to kill them myself if I knew they couldn't make it, for time constraints, that ******* sucks). The kindest thing to do is to have it put down rather than starve or have a long, painful death. But there are trade-offs, because it might mean depriving some other animal of food. Not so much, though, when you live in a city and the most likely animal to find it would be a well-fed housecat. One horrendous event was when a cat already got to a litter of mouse pups, and was torturing them. We had to step on them because they were already goners. :sob:

Nature is pretty cruel.