Your opinion on fruitarianism.

Options
Personally, I think it is very silly indeed. I don't think it is sustainable. That much fructose is not good for anyone....

Replies

• Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Is that really a thing? :scream:
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »

Oh yes. There are two nutters on youtube famous for it. Freelee the banana girl and Durianrider.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I think cutting up the food would suck; and videos are comical when you watch how they describe the calories in each item.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

Oh yes. There are two nutters on youtube famous for it. Freelee the banana girl and Durianrider.

sounds like a slippery slope to potty town.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I think cutting up the food would suck; and videos are comical when you watch how they describe the calories in each item.

They are so off on the calories. It makes me lol.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    bump
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Steve Jobs was a fruitarian for awhile. Even smart people can get suckered into making crazy diet choices sometimes :)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had to look it up...Seems like a diet that is more idealistic than geared towards healthful eating. Like with most restrictive diets, my thoughts are more power to you, just don't impose it on me and we're all good. Not a diet I would ever consider trying.

I recall Ashton Kutcher was hospitalized because he adopted the fruitarian diet while preparing to play Steve Jobs in a movie.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Yeah, I think it really damaged Ashton's pancreas. :///
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'll keep this diet in mind of I ever want to out-fart the dog.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it is very silly indeed. I don't think it is sustainable. That much fructose is not good for anyone....
    I only eat fruit that's cage free...

• Liapluridon
    Options
    Bad idea. On a historical note, it was adopted by a lot of rich people during Victorian England. It didn't work then either.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options

wait. you mean those 2 are serious? Those videos aren't just a joke?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Steve Jobs was a fruitarian for awhile. Even smart people can get suckered into making crazy diet choices sometimes :)

Oddly enough, many of the people I know who are highly educated and very fact-based in other aspects of their life, are militantly defensive and unfliching when it comes to whatever food/health ideology they adhere to. Counterintuitively, in my experience, that ideology is almost always not in agreement with current scientific knowledge on nutrition, and instead based on some internet nutritional guru's angry blog page or similar. It's very strange to me.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....We have essentially the same genetics that our ancestors had 200,000 years ago when evolution was selecting individuals to continue the species. It makes sense to me to follow the diet that our ancestors proved was successful. Fruit would have been a very important part of that diet in the autumn when our ancestors were laying down as much fat as possible in order to survive the winter. But for fruit to be the major part of the diet all the time - no way! Fruit is missing some important nutrients.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I once knew someone in the 70s who went to India to "find herself" and came back a fruitarian. Well, she certainly was fruity.
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love fruit(an absurd amout of love), but even i realize that i couldn't live off of it. While fruit is a large percentage of my diet, i have vegetables and grains, too..
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Isn't durian the one that smells like a corpse? I have to believe that guy is just making fun of the banana girl!!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My friend follows Freelee (and DurianRider is Freelee's partner). My friend is also pretty much following that diet. I don't agree with it because I think it lacks vital nutrients, and is not very balanced. Freelee is not a nutritionist or anything. The thing that concerns me is my friend is feeding her growing child this way for the most part.

They are vegan, which is fine, but she isn't taking B12 supplements or making sure to get complete proteins other than chia seeds.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    They are now divorced. Freelee got custody of the bananas.