Your opinion on fruitarianism.

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Steve Jobs was a fruitarian for awhile. Even smart people can get suckered into making crazy diet choices sometimes :)
    I think he did it to "cure" his cancer no? This is why I hate woo....it make intelligent but desesparate people do stupid things

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    banana_despicable_me.gif
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's disordered eating with it's roots there as well.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just read up on Freelee the banana girl. How the hell could anyone say they eat 3.5kg of potatoes in one sitting?! I'd be throwing up if I tried to eat anything in that amount. And I can EAT.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    People that want to put themselves through that kind of extreme eating are welcome to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/url
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Just read up on Freelee the banana girl. How the hell could anyone say they eat 3.5kg of potatoes in one sitting?! I'd be throwing up if I tried to eat anything in that amount. And I can EAT.
    I had to look up the conversion and I am astonished!

Anyway, my opinion on fruitarianism:
    If you can sustain it and it feels good, go for it. I personally would never do it because I enjoy traditional foods and eating them in moderation. I get a humbled feeling when I have bacon with my breakfast. I like fruit from time to time. I like to eat pasta dinners sometimes with my family and I enjoy the big colorful salad with oil and vinegar that we put on the table. I like to have dessert after dinner and for snack sometimes. I like to try new foods, but I know that if nothing looks appealing on the menu, I'm pretty safe with a salad or a cup of french onion soup. I think a fruitarian diet is unnecessary for weight loss, as a deficit will normally do the trick, assuming that someone does not have a medical condition that would prevent them from losing weight with a deficit.
    Freelee has a pretty nice body and I wanted mine to look like that when I was in my sophomore year of high school, but I've come to accept I will never have that because of genetics and the differences among us physically. Not even a diet of just fruit would give me that body because it is impossible for me. And I am okay with that.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yanicka1 wrote: »
    Steve Jobs was a fruitarian for awhile. Even smart people can get suckered into making crazy diet choices sometimes :)
    I think he did it to "cure" his cancer no? This is why I hate woo....it make intelligent but desesparate people do stupid things

I know he had a very hard time finding foods that didn't make him sick after the cancer progressed to a certain point. I don't know if that had happened by the time he went fruititarian, but if so it's possible fruit was one of the easier foods for him to eat. That would at least be a decent reason to give it a try - although he should have known that eventually he'd get even more sick if he didn't find a way to balance his diet.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I know he had a very hard time finding foods that didn't make him sick after the cancer progressed to a certain point. I don't know if that had happened by the time he went fruititarian, but if so it's possible fruit was one of the easier foods for him to eat. That would at least be a decent reason to give it a try - although he should have known that eventually he'd get even more sick if he didn't find a way to balance his diet.

He did it back in the 70s......hence the name his company Apple. =)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Oy. Well, it was the 70s. Seemed like there was more unwarranted stupidity floating around in that decade than most.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good way to know that someone is crazy/drama and you should probably avoid them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Oy. Well, it was the 70s. Seemed like there was more unwarranted stupidity floating around in that decade than most.

Meh, no more than now. People have always been crazy.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I think it's a good way to know that someone is crazy/drama and you should probably avoid them.

+10000000000000

People who fling themselves and their bodies into insane new diets usually do have their share of drama. It can be fun to be their friend online if you can stand the vagueposting.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    About 30 years ago I saw an article in Strength and Fitness about a Breatheairian. He claimed it was the ultimate lifestyle. When I worked at a psych hospital in the 60s we had a patient who explained that she didn't need to eat because she could photosynthesize like the trees. Those two lifestyles didn't work out too well either.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Veganhclf wrote: »
    I'm a fruitarian. I eat only fruit, nothing else and I feel pretty good! More energy, better digestion, improved dental health and weight loss (10 kg in 6 weeks to be exact). :)

Do ya my friend did that same. Would you like to know the results? Lets just say it aint worth the results.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Veganhclf wrote: »
    I'm a fruitarian. I eat only fruit, nothing else and I feel pretty good! More energy, better digestion, improved dental health and weight loss (10 kg in 6 weeks to be exact). :)

Bwahaha!!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    To be fair years ago I stated the case against vegetarians as I knew some carrots that had a strong view on it
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'll pass because I like the muscle I do have.

That is the least of your worries for the results of an all fruit diet.

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Couldn't live without protein.