Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I'll pass because I like the muscle I do have.

That is the least of your worries for the results of an all fruit diet.
    That's true. Lack of tacos would definitely be something I would worry more about. Me loves tacos.

My friends was telling me of a 3000 calorie all fruit diet he did.
    1) expensive to get that many fruits in one day.
    2) he said there was some intimate issues he had with some girl at that time. could of been something else but he had no fats in his body. So I will go with the crap diet doing that.

I stop him right there and say why are you telling me about this diet than. His answer you will loss the weight and he clearly means muscle since he was only getting 50-60 grams of protein per day.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »
    Is that really a thing? :scream:

Oh yes. There are two nutters on youtube famous for it. Freelee the banana girl and Durianrider.

wait. you mean those 2 are serious? Those videos aren't just a joke?

Yes, they are very serious......... About making money from Youtube.

• jennifershoo
    Options
    Veganhclf wrote: »
    I'm a fruitarian. I eat only fruit, nothing else and I feel pretty good! More energy, better digestion, improved dental health and weight loss (10 kg in 6 weeks to be exact). :)

Well, you've been doing it only for 6 weeks...
    Let's talk again in 3 years and see how your teeth are doing then.
    Good luck!
  • FiveThirty
    FiveThirty Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Being fruititarian is part of what killed Jobs, at least according to some popular theories. That and his holistic approach to his cancer. He had pancreatic cancer but he had the one very treatable form. Instead of surgery/chemo he opted to go to try different exclusionary diets and seek holistic treatments. He eventually sought treatment but it was far too late.

After realizing his folly, he later sought treatment and later required a liver transplant which he received by basically buying his way onto the top of a donor list for a liver.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/24/liver.transplant.priority.lists/index.html?iref=24hours

"In October 2003, Jobs was diagnosed with cancer, and in mid-2004, he announced to his employees that he had a cancerous tumor in his pancreas. The prognosis for pancreatic cancer is usually very poor; Jobs stated that he had a rare, far less aggressive type known as islet cell neuroendocrine tumor.[215] Despite his diagnosis, Jobs resisted his doctors' recommendations for medical intervention for nine months, instead consuming a pseudo-medicine diet in an attempt to thwart the disease."

"Barrie R. Cassileth, the chief of Memorial Sloan–Kettering Cancer Center's integrative medicine department, said "Jobs’s faith in alternative medicine likely cost him his life.... He had the only kind of pancreatic cancer that is treatable and curable.... He essentially committed suicide." According to Jobs's biographer, Walter Isaacson, "for nine months he refused to undergo surgery for his pancreatic cancer – a decision he later regretted as his health declined." "Instead, he tried a vegan diet, acupuncture, herbal remedies, and other treatments he found online, and even consulted a psychic. He was also influenced by a doctor who ran a clinic that advised juice fasts, bowel cleansings and other unproven approaches, before finally having surgery in July 2004."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

In regards to fruititarianism.

"Fruits and fruit juices are not only high on the glycemic index, but loaded with fructose. In all but small quantities, they greatly stress the liver and pancreas, contribute to diabetes and many other blood sugar disorders, and have been linked to pancreatic cancer. Jobs suffered from a type of pancreatic cancer known as islet cell carcinoma, which originates in the insulin-secreting beta cells.

That the fructose in Jobs’s fruit heavy diet likely contributed to this cancer is supported by research published in the November 2007 issue of American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which concluded there was “evidence for a greater pancreatic cancer risk with a high intake of fruit and juices but not with a high intake of sodas.” In other words, the “healthy” juices regularly drunk by Jobs may have been been even worse than the soft drinks he seems to have rejected."

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/kdaniel/veganthink-dr-john-mcdougall-explains-the-death-of-steve-jobs/

The article isn't advocating soda, of course, but it is suggesting a strict fruit only diet is in fact more detrimental than consuming sodas in a less extreme diet.

It's rather tragic really. Pure fruitiarian diets are continually being found to be unhealthy.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    There used to be a website called 30bananasadaysucks where ex-fruitarians talked about all the brainwashing Freelee and Durianrider did and all the side-effects of the diet. It was known that those 2 gurus deleted all posts on their forum that was going against their diet. The 30 bananasadaysucks site was hacked and deleted because those 2 nutjobs couldn't handle the truth out there.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    There used to be a website called 30bananasadaysucks where ex-fruitarians talked about all the brainwashing Freelee and Durianrider did and all the side-effects of the diet. It was known that those 2 gurus deleted all posts on their forum that was going against their diet. The 30 bananasadaysucks site was hacked and deleted because those 2 nutjobs couldn't handle the truth out there.

Let me tell you, as a person with a maintenance of 1830 (barring exercise), the side effect of 30 bananas a day would be fat. I would get fat.

Insane. I wish I'd seen that website, sounds like a good place to munch popcorn.
  • stef237
    stef237 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In moderation, I like my food - many different kinds, from different countries. Fruit is wonderful but I couldn't live on it alone & don't even want to try! B)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I find those articles on Jobs fascinating and terrifying. Extremes never work! I did all this stuff when I was a youngster. God, the things I've put my body through. Amazingly it just keeps healing itself.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I'll pass because I like the muscle I do have.

That is the least of your worries for the results of an all fruit diet.

I would never stop pooping.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It's dangerous. And stupid.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I read that once. Many people who actually met those two at festivals said neither of barely ate the whole week, let alone 30 bananas a day. They'll eat a tonne of fruit for youtube video but they aren't actually following their own "lifestyle".

I'm no rocket scientist, but anyone who needs a website and/or a week-long face-to-face to realize the whole thing is bunk has to be a couple sandwiches short of a picnic. If FruitGirl were really smart she'd be selling those attendance lists to Nigerian scammers.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Let me tell you, as a person with a maintenance of 1830 (barring exercise), the side effect of 30 bananas a day would be fat. I would get fat.

Insane. I wish I'd seen that website, sounds like a good place to munch popcorn.

Yes. I gained weight, and I was always hungry, an cold, even with roughly 3000 calories a day. And I was errrr, really, really cleaned out.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Yes. I gained weight, and I was always hungry, an cold, even with roughly 3000 calories a day. And I was errrr, really, really cleaned out.

I would be so mad if I went on a diet and gained! Especially with the constant hunger (what? Food that only has 1 g/protein leaves you hungry? What were these freelee-types thinking when they made up this diet?)
  • jennifershoo
    Options

I read that once. Many people who actually met those two at festivals said neither of barely ate the whole week, let alone 30 bananas a day. They'll eat a tonne of fruit for youtube video but they aren't actually following their own "lifestyle".

Exactly. Also, they exercise all the time (biking), so they end up burning those calories.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I sampled it while also sampling raw veganism a few years back. I don't do either any more. I won't bash it, but I will say it's not for me and I would never recommend it if anyone asked about it.

I never went as far as "sungazing" though. Or fasting for that matter.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What does this really mean?

If you are someone like Freelee (not supporting her here, hold on) that eats with a TDEE of 3000/4000+ calories and has 10-15% protein sources - and supplements with shots (which she and her partner apparently do) then it's an excessive lifestyle but not totally unsound. 15% of 3000 cals is the same protein as 30% of 1500 - like so many people here practice.

Unfortunately, what they sell - eat as much fruit as you like, whateva! IS totally unsound. Their pseudo science justification is dangerous. They are deeply wrong on the most basic explanations that they offer. They have done real damage to some people and their dietary practices are often dangerous.

Take a look at the movement to get her banned:
    https://www.change.org/p/youtube-terminate-freelee-the-banana-girl-and-durianrider-s-multiple-youtube-accounts-and-internet-sites-and-ban-them-for-life

However, in a diet were base protein needs are met for someone extremely active her lifestyle was healthier for her than being overweight. So we should consider that before we judge from our [fat] pedestals...

For 99% of the population it would be stupid - personal context matters.
    The raw movement is something I cannot really support as best practice BUT it does get people to move towards a more active and more nutrient focused life. It isn't without some merit. Again context.

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »
    Is that really a thing? :scream:

Oh yes. There are two nutters on youtube famous for it. Freelee the banana girl and Durianrider.

Isn't Freelee the banana girl the one who made a whole video basically fat shaming Jenna Marbles because Jenna gave up eating vegan?

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Who cares?