124»

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    What on earth is fasting cardio?

As soon as you wake up you run or do HIIT for 35-45 minutes. Let me see if i can find an article or something - people will dispute it either way, just like having breakfast daily or not eating big meals before bed. But fasting cardio helped me blast away my belly fat

Edit - http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/369.cfm

there's an article that covers both arguments, and defines it
  • eclipse162
    eclipse162 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I heard green tea helps alot

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eclipse162 wrote: »
    I heard green tea helps alot

nope
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Fasting cardio burns twice as much fat - try that if you havent already
    Who told you that?
    It's true, but of course the part they left out was how the EBE really works. People get confused it appears with aerobic and anaerobic exercise and their metabolic pathways......

• neanderthin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Who told you that?
    It's true, but of course the part they left out was how the EBE really works. People get confused it appears with aerobic and anaerobic exercise and their metabolic pathways......

Continue please. I'm don't sure completely follow.
    Basically our energy substrate is dictated by our choice of exercise. Moderate aerobic exercise uses body fat for energy and high intensity and lifting uses carbohydrates or glucose/glycogen. In a fasted state and doing aerobic exercise that person will be using mostly fat for energy as opposed to someone doing heavy lifting which burns mostly glycogen. The confusion stems from this fact and I would imagine the confusion about the EBE will always be there in regards to this as well. Fat loss of course is always dictated by our overall energy output vs energy input over the course of the day and not about which exercise burns more fat at one period in time.

• neanderthin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes I would, for sure. I suspect Alan's point is that it doesn't matter and is going to try and prove the point. It would be interesting to see a 3rd group that lift for comparison.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    You didn't gain, and considering you are a guy you are undereating. I'm a woman and I'm netting 1900 (currently on diet break though).

If your BF% is 29% and you weigh 270, your LBM is 191, not 200. You also do not need to be eating 250g of protein. 191g would be just fine. 20% fat from calories is also probably too low; at least 60g would be a better absolute minimum if basing it off of your lean body mass. Then the rest can go to carbs.

Are you like.. only benching and doing cardio? If so, your routine is terrible.

And i'm guessing you and/or your doctor are doing the body fat tests wrong. Otherwise, the test is assuming that your water weight gains are muscle gain, since lean body mass = anything that isn't fat. Either way, you have not been gaining muscle, especially if you had previous experience lifting weights. And especially since you are under-eating.

You're right. The sheet says 192 of LBM. I guess the increases in muscle could be just water. LOL. I do upper body one day, lower body the next, and cardio everyday. I just upped it to 1 hour of cardio each day (beginning yesterday). I decided to up the calories to 2200, now. Hopefully that is enough.

When I started back lifting a month ago, my bench press was 225 for 5 reps. Now, it is 400 x 3. Since I had done 500 in the past, my doc said it was just muscle memory. I am sure glad I am not gaining muscle, then. It feels like it though, and most of my shirts fit tighter in the sleeves. The cardio has been getting a lot easier, too. Must be the fat just redistributing itself.

Well, even though you are sure my muscle is not increasing and I am not losing any fat, I feel better. I guess I will settle with that for now and just keep doing what the doctor says. 4 lbs of muscle a week is impossible? Are you sure? Oh well. I go back in for shots on Friday, again. I'll point out that many on here say they are wrong. In a couple months, I will post before and after photos. You can tell me if they were wrong. :-). I do believe you might be right. But, we'll see. I do feel better, today, anyway.

Thanks for your input.
  • TossaBeanBag
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    jbach2 wrote: »
    gained 3 lbs of muscle and weighed the same as last week. Every week, I gain more muscle, and the rate of muscle growth continues to increase, but the rate of fat loss is slowing down. A couple weeks ago, I had 4 lbs of actual fat loss.
    Nope

Impossible, right? I know it is hard to believe. Oh well, I will post before and after photos at some point so you can have a good laugh at my expense, encourage me to work harder, or whatever. I wish you the best of success in your journey, though. I am just relaying what docs are telling me. They could be full of it, but I do feel way better.

FYI - My powerlifting partner said once that I would never qualify to go to Ranger School in the Army because I was too big, he said. I would never run 5 8 minute miles. So, I joined the Army back then. I ended up running 13.1 miles consistently at a 6.5 minute mile. I lost a lot weight, too, though.

It's funny when someone says something is impossible. Someone usually comes along and proves them wrong. LOL.
  • TossaBeanBag
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but what you are thinking is pure muscle gain is probably lean body mass in general, which is partly made up of water. losing 1.5 pounds of fat in a week is pretty awesome, btw.

Thank you. The fat loss has definitely slowed down, and I hope to get it back up to 2 lbs a week, at least. I upped the cardio this morning to an hour (987 calories burned the machine said - I don't know how accurate it is. I entered my weight in). I could just be retaining water, like you said. I don't know for sure. I just know I am getting stronger, and my clothes are fitting different, and I feel better. I hope if I keep working out hard and eating well, I might have as much success as a lot of the people here. I have a lot to learn in both departments.

I hope you have a fantastic day out there.
  • TossaBeanBag
    Options
    -
    Thank you for the tip. I went to the gym this morning and did cardio before breakfast. I will try this routine for a while and see if that increases the rate of body fat loss.