5:2, discuss.

Options
2»

Replies

• Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I started 5:2 2 years ago and lost 30 lbs. Then I went down to 6:1 to mtn. I think that was a mistake for me anyway. Eventually I stopped all together and gained back 15 lbs. So 6 or 7 weeks ago I started 5:2 again and I lost about 8 lbs and feel so much better. It has to be a lifetime thing. For everyone doing 5:2 feel free to friend me. I love chatting with people about 5:2 and seeing what others eat on fast days. I belong to a closed facebook group but unfortunatley 90% of the people in this group are in england, so the hours are way off! I think this is the best way to lose weight and improve your health.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Also, I do eat a lot 2000-2500 calories on feed days but it balances out in the end. That is the beauty of it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I don't honestly think it'll work for most people, and they'll just yo-yo over the years.
    A PhD who's been studying it in human trials for almost 10 years found differently.

I'm not generally a fan of Mercola but he gives a nice overview of IF and Varady's results.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/08/alternate-day-fasting.aspx
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I've read the article and her studies and her book. What do you see in it that supports your assertion that it doesn't work for most people and they'll just yoyo?
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've tried IF and I do believe in the studies. I've watched the BBC documentary, read a book (The 5:2 Diet), and several internet articles/blogs. I know this diet works and kudos to anyone that can do it. I however, have lots of trouble with it. I have thyroid disease and take meds for it, but I'm not sure if that's an excuse. On the days that I was only allowed 500 calories, I was sad and cranky. On the other days, I ate like there was no tomorrow. Then I reevaluated this plan for ME. If I was sad 2 days a week/ this means sad and cranky for 8 days a month. :s This means about 100 days of cranky and sad out of 365 days per year - which means about 25-30% of my year would be sad. :'( So with all these calculations, I just stick to a low calorie diet until I can go into maintenance mode. But once again/ Kudos for those who can do it. B)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I do leangains, so 16/8 daily
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some people will thrive on it. To me it's too regimented in what it does, and doesn't teach good eating habits, which would be to understand why you put weight on in the first place - by overeating every day. Getting in the habit of being consistent across the week, rather than going from crash to maintenance, seems a better means of developing good dietary habits to me. I don't honestly think it'll work for most people, and they'll just yo-yo over the years.

That's just a personal opinion, mind, but the OP did ask for discussion.

I would have to disagree that this diet doesn't teach good eating habits. I find that I have been successful so far because I am still very careful to eat within my maintenance calories 5 days a week. And learning to eat at your *maintenance* levels is the key to sustaining a long-term healthy weight.

Just like any other MFP'er, I log all my calories every single day, and I have to say "no" to certain foods sometimes...just not as often. I think that people who look at this diet and say, "Oh cool...I can eat 500 cal 2x a week, and the other days, I can eat any amount of anything I want", are the ones who 1) have difficulty losing and keeping it off, and 2) do not learn good eating habits in general.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I think it's like any other plan-- it works as long as you remain on it. People don't like being on a plan and they stop. If you have it in you to stick to a plan and this is the plan that appeals to you most, I don't think 6 years would be any different from the 6 month study results.

I think the NHS is just concluding it hasn't been around as long as other plans so it doesn't have the long term research. If you want the plans with the longest research, I guess that'd be very low fat diets, since they were popular the longest. I'd rather try new things.
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My mum is a doctor and she can't rate it highly enough. My parents are big ifluences on my life and so I'll take her word. But I have to stress it is very much a preference, it just works for me. I put the weight back on because I drank too much and ate crap food. It's not going to change my mentality on food totaly, but it has opened up new ways to cook and combine ingredients.
  • Tbadyna
    Tbadyna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm reading about this diet now. Seriously thinking I'll give it a try!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've read the article and her studies and her book. What do you see in it that supports your assertion that it doesn't work for most people and they'll just yoyo?

Dr. Mercola's article is comparing complete fasting to intermittent fasting, and shows that IF works as well as CF. Dr. Varady's study does not consider long term (i.e. two years plus) effects, only six months on the diet and then a six month transitional period.

Here's the NHS's view, which considering they don't have a book to sell, is probably a good deal more impartial. The bottom line is that there is no hard evidence to support IF as an effective and long term means of controlling weight. That doesn't mean it isn't - merely that there isn't enough evidence that it's any better or worse than a more even calorie restriction diet.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx

Given that there are a number of people in this topic who have admitted that 5:2 worked initially, but then they put the weight back on, I'm not convinced it has legs.
    And how many people following every day calorie restriction either fail to get to goal weight or fail to maintain that goal weight long term?
    About 90% perhaps? Whatever plan people follow the stats aren't good.

You will find that what works for some doesn't work for other in terms of long term adherence. IF in its various forms is a tool that works really well for some.

The other thing you don't seem to realise that many people who have succeeded with 5:2 have previously failed with the more traditional diets. People like me.

Maybe don't knock it until you have either researched it or tried it?
    You are entitled to your opinion of course and it's all good discussion but I do wonder why people take against the various forms of IF.
    Is it a fear of hunger? Fear of something that doesn't follow the traditional "3 square meals a day" routine?

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that there is no hard evidence to support IF as an effective and long term means of controlling weight. That doesn't mean it isn't - merely that there isn't enough evidence that it's any better or worse than a more even calorie restriction diet.

See it really is not better or worse than any other weight control method, it is better or worse for certain people, though. It comes down to personal habits and what a person thrives on. Someone may be fine with a small portion of pumpkin pie, or with the crust off, but I'm not, so it makes this method better for ME and some other people.
    Given that there are a number of people in this topic who have admitted that 5:2 worked initially, but then they put the weight back on, I'm not convinced it has legs.

By that logic, not a single diet in existence has legs. Most diets fail in most cases the moment a person stops paying attention to their intake during maintenance.

• fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options

If you'd like to compare the adherence and maintenance stats of IF with full-time reduced calorie intake you might see if differently . It's very common to put weight back on after dieting.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You are entitled to your opinion of course and it's all good discussion but I do wonder why people take against the various forms of IF.
    Is it a fear of hunger? Fear of something that doesn't follow the traditional "3 square meals a day" routine?
    I think there is a lot of ingrained fear of hunger/fasting in people in general and here on this site it's like magnified. So many people post about metabolic damage, loss of LBM, eating disorders, starvation mode and all else, it just blows an already feared concept further out of proportion.

I was a little leary of Johnson's and Mosley's claims, being they are a plastic surgeon (who sells supplements) and a medical-degreed journalist, both selling books. But you can't really fake peer reviewed study results like Varady's in order to market future books. NIH funded her latest long-term study. I don't think they fund just anything.

• WalkingAlong
    Options
    I understand. I didn't have headaches or hunger pangs, but I've been dieting for 6 months so I think the headache stage from reduced calories ended back in April. I've never had hunger pangs.

I decided to try high fat today to see how it felt. It's 6pm and I've had 240 calories total of coconut oil and almond butter and I feel fine. I can still have a small meal today. Tomorrow I can eat without logging or like I'm on a diet. It's well worth it to me, especially after 4 months of daily, level calorie restriction, logging everything. :D
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I try to follow a 14/10 or 16/8 protocol, sometimes 18/6.
    It works best for me.
  • luciewhitefield25
    luciewhitefield25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 16:8 since mid August and have lost 1lb of a stone! Love it - couldn't recommend it more! I have never been a breakfast lover anyway so I guess that helps but eating within that time period and missing breakfast gives me lower cals for the day so I can still eat normal for the rest of the day without feeling restricted.. best part is I can have the same dinner as everyone else and not feel left out or worrying if we eat out!

Don't get me wrong I have the odd days where maybe on a Sunday mid-morning we will go out for a cafe breakfast but once in a while doesn't hurt! :)
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    I have been doing 16:8 since mid August and have lost 1lb of a stone!

What's 1lb of a stone? I can work with kgs, lbs, stone, but this one is new to me.
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

What's 1lb of a stone? I can work with kgs, lbs, stone, but this one is new to me.

Possibly 1lb off a stone. So 13lbs?
  • fluffyasacat
    Options

Possibly 1lb off a stone. So 13lbs?

That may well be it, James.