Do you think working out/exercise is boring?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    I'm talking about the over weight average person (mostly females lack the motivation for the physical part of diet and exercise) just trying to get into making all of these changes.
    Yes actually. Because of our make up, women are much more satisfied with taking care of others than ourselves. Also, it has to do with our self-consciousness. A lot of women would rather accept being over weight, or choose a diet plan that requires sticking to strict calories, than to put on tight fitting work out clothes and feel she is being judged/silently picked on as she exercises.

Where's your proof?

You just said 4x3 = banana.
    Show your work.

If the mass of the box is twice the mass of the pear, what is the speed of the sun? Purple, because aliens don't eat pancakes.
    Therefore, we must acquit.

Is this why a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    a post I made to tell people that exercise can be fun.

Have to say that the suggestion sounds like absolute purgatory to me.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I started out hating exercise. Within a month I was hooked because I realized it made me FEEL so much better. So now it is a habit, like brushing my teeth and I really miss it if I have to skip it for some reason. It WAS boring in the beginning. If I walk outside I am never bored. If I walk inside there is T.V. Strength training is never boring because I am new to it and I have to focus on proper form, which is a real challenge for me.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Hahaha!! This is hilarious!! First people applaud you for one post and then kick you down in the next. Good for you!!
    200.gif
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    vada44 wrote: »
    Step 1 - realize it's not about having fun, but rather about improving your health, appearance, and overall quality of life, and thus do the workouts anyways.
    Yea but if your having fun along with everything else you are more likely to stick with it.

Agreed.

I'm not saying that exercise SHOULDN'T or CAN'T be fun... I'm saying that the fact it isn't fun (for those who don't enjoy it) isn't a good enough reason not to do it. If you can make it fun or if you just naturally enjoy it, then great, but the reason we exercise isn't in order to have fun... it's to get stronger or faster or leaner or bigger or healthier or handle stress or any of a slew of other factors. Those are the reasons exercise is important and that it should be done. Any enjoyment you get from it is just a bonus.

It's like doing dishes... few people enjoy doing dishes, but it still needs to be done. If having some music on while you do them makes it more enjoyable, then great, but don't do dishes as a way to have fun.

Agree with this 100%. Exercise is like brushing your teeth, mowing the lawn, taking out the trash and folding the laundry. It needs to get done. Period. If you can crank some tunes, watch TV or listen to a podcast or find some other way to make it less monotonous, go right ahead, but make no mistake, you still should do it even if your iPod breaks or you forget to download that podcast or if your TV show is preempted for chess tournament. Don't let the "fun" factor - or lack thereof - interfere with the need to take care of your body.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Step 1 - realize it's not about having fun, but rather about improving your health, appearance, and overall quality of life, and thus do the workouts anyways.

This. I mean, you pay your bills and clean your house. Neither of those things are fun but you have to do it anyway.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. Life is far too short to waste time doing something you don't enjoy. That's why I a) won't work a job I don't like, even if the pay is good, and b) won't commute to work for more than 30 minutes one-way.

Find an exercise you actually enjoy doing and you will do it. There are millions of activities out there that get your heart pumping, the challenge if finding one you like.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Not if you pay someone to clean your house.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Since I started Zombies, Run! I am really enjoying running. Strength training is fine as long as I have my phone with me.

Vote +1 for show links to the proof that 'mostly females lack the motivation for the physical part of diet and exercise'.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options

i think this is the wrong mindset. there is no rule that says you cant enjoy the things you have to do either. it sounds like your rule is " if you dont hate it, it isnt helping"

people can surely love what they have to do also. personally, i like all my chosen workouts and enjoy them and even have fun. in fact if i didnt discover that certain ones were fun, there is no way i would have stuck with my program as long as i have. there are enough options that people can most surely be able to like what they do also.

people find ways to enjoy their jobs also, even though they do them out of necessity. people turn on music when they clean the house, listen to books on tape while stuck in traffic every day or sing with the radio.

life isnt about being miserable while being forced to do things.

• WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I use a boring elliptical for cardio, but pass the time by watching TV on a tablet or smartphone. As I don't watch TV otherwise, it's kind of a treat, actually.

I kind of do this too, except with audio books. I only allow myself to listen to audio books while doing cardio (e.g. elliptical, treadmill). MANY times I've been anxious for a cardio day so I could find out what happened next in my book.

ETA: I love strength training. The heavier the weights the better. I love kick-boxing and anything outside (biking, walking). It's only "stationary" cardio that I find less appealing. =)
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/how-body-size-shapes-our-view-of-exercise/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

A brief over of a study done by The International Journal of Obesity on how over weight women view exercise.
  • Tbaby1514
    Options
    n5cmreuoueho.png

statistics from CDC on men V women exercise
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The better exercise is exercise that you atually do all things being equal and you are more likely to do it if you enjoy it.

That said if you have the inclination then I find the gym quite efficient, althought it can soemtimes be a bit boring and time consuming. I do see progress all the time though. Weights is fun vecayse it has more variety, cardio is harder work as it can be intensely dull and more draining over an extended period. Having never used a gum properly before then I find it an interesting experience and am learning new stuff all the time plus seeing some results. I do prefer to get in there and get on with it rather than it being a social event because id rather focus and then get out.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    Yea but if your having fun along with everything else you are more likely to stick with it.

Agreed.

I'm not saying that exercise SHOULDN'T or CAN'T be fun... I'm saying that the fact it isn't fun (for those who don't enjoy it) isn't a good enough reason not to do it. If you can make it fun or if you just naturally enjoy it, then great, but the reason we exercise isn't in order to have fun... it's to get stronger or faster or leaner or bigger or healthier or handle stress or any of a slew of other factors. Those are the reasons exercise is important and that it should be done. Any enjoyment you get from it is just a bonus.

It's like doing dishes... few people enjoy doing dishes, but it still needs to be done. If having some music on while you do them makes it more enjoyable, then great, but don't do dishes as a way to have fun.

It took me a long time to understand this. That not everyone else enjoys it, but they do it anyways. That I can't wait for motivation to come along.
  • Tbaby1514
    Options
    p3m655ldgb6v.png

Chart from 1999-2009 by National Center for Health Statistics
    pvhg.PNG 174.8K
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options

This. I mean, you pay your bills and clean your house. Neither of those things are fun but you have to do it anyway.

I pay my bills and clean my house, but I hate it and will put it off as much as possible. I workout though almost every day.

Studies have shown that people will stick with an exercise plan they like. So yes it is about improving my health, but I am more likely to blow it off if its something I don't like.

In my case I hate running, but running is good for me you say, but I hate it. My girlfriend lost a lot of weight because of running. Well if that was the only way to lose weight for me it would never happen. On the other hand, I love Zumba, I love lifting, I love kickbox, I love Pilates, I love Yoga, I do get bored easy though, so if I don't change things up I get bored.

There are lots of ways to workout, if you make it fun you are more likely to do it. And like someone said, life is too short not to have fun.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Some exercise bores me to tears - like the treadmill. So I don't do those things. I know I won't continue with something that I hate. Because I'm a grown up and you can't make me do something if I don't wanna :smile:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    kind of boring, yeah, but I either listen to music or take hubby along with me and work out together so we have each other to talk to. That pretty much fixes it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

well not really because here's the thing.

There are people who train.

and there are people who check the box to work out.

and then there are people who are kind of addicted to the feeling of working out- but are still just working out- because it's their hobby and it's "fun"

I do not have fun when I'm lifting- it hurts. It sucks- I'm in pain. sometimes my muscles burn- sometimes my lungs burn- sometimes I bleed- sometimes I puke- I pass out. It SUCKS.

But I LOVE it. I love every second of it- I love it for what and who it makes me.
    People who run 5/10Ks. a lot of them aren't "checking a box" they are having fun- and they like the feelings they get.

Then there are marathoners- who sacrifice short term- suffer long term- and grind through for a bigger long term goal- training. They don't have 'fun" a lot of times- but they do it because they love the long term bigger aspect of it. Same with power lifting.

I'm a dancer- I do not go to bellydance class for fun. I don't go for aerobics- I'm a serious dancer- sometimes- many times- it is not fun. Its hard- it's sweaty- I have to deal with other women and we get cranky- and it's frustrating b/c the *kitten* we do is hard. But I LOVE it.

I'm training for bigger goals.

This goes far beyond "fun". Saying it's fun just doesn't even cover it. I'm not looking to be entertained by my workouts.

People are so wrapped up with being entertained and having to check their stupid little box that they worked out they forget about anything bigger. It's sad.