Clipless Pedals: Are they really worth it?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »

and I disagree with the requirement to have a shoe / bike fitting for people using clipless pedals. can it help? Yes. Is it a necessary requirement? No.

If the goal is to ride long (50+ miles at a time lets say) then I would say it is definitely a requirement. Without a proper fit you could be all over the place on that bike and never realize you are being inefficient. Or blame the bike for why your back hurts when really you need to be properly fit on it.

^This.

Improper fit not only leads to discomfort and loss of efficiency, it also leads to injury, sometimes serious, which can force you to stop cycling and put on 60+ lbs.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Next up, is shaving your body hair really worth the aerodynamic advantage?

Aerodynamics is not why professional cyclists shave their legs. They shave because they get a hard massage once or twice every single day, and body hairs make it a lot less comfortable.

The second reason is because sweat beads at the base of the hairs, so if you crash, the wound is more likely to get infected.

The first statement I got from an actual maseusse for a professional team. The second is just something I've heard.

That wasn't the question. I asked if it's worth the aerodynamic advantage. ;)

My bad!
  • chivalryder
    edited October 2014
    Options

5) Probably the most important reason at this point: it's cultural

I think this can also be said about why every rides clipless.

How many people out there who swear by clipless pedals have actually read some unbiased research on the use of them and the potential benefits of using them?

That being said, how many people who don't even ride a bicycle say that you should use them?

It's what the pro's ride, therefore it's what everyone should be doing, right?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    My goal is to win. If you aren't first, your last.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Aerodynamics is not why professional cyclists shave their legs. They shave because they get a hard massage once or twice every single day, and body hairs make it a lot less comfortable.

The second reason is because sweat beads at the base of the hairs, so if you crash, the wound is more likely to get infected.

The first statement I got from an actual maseusse for a professional team. The second is just something I've heard.

That wasn't the question. I asked if it's worth the aerodynamic advantage. ;)

Worth it? I don't know - I do it anyway, for the 5 reasons I outlined. Whether or not anyone considers it worth it is up to them.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    It makes my calves look better. That's good enough for me...lol
  • glevinso
    Options

How many people out there who swear by clipless pedals have actually read some unbiased research on the use of them and the potential benefits of using them?

That being said, how many people who don't even ride a bicycle say that you should use them?

Considering that the pros are willing to do everything, legal or not, to gain a tiny advantage (drugs perhaps?) I would be willing to bet that there is something actually to riding with clipless pedals other than culture. If flat pedals were in any way more efficient they would be using them.

• Hornsby
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Clipless pedals are way more dangers than EPO.

:insertsarcasm:
  • glevinso
    Options

Oh crap that should be my reason number 6.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To the OP - it's not really a debate. If you are going to do any amount of riding at all, you need clipless shoes and pedals. The only things that would come before this necessity are helmet (of course) good padded shorts (comfort) and gloves (to protect hands in case of fall).

Everyone falls over at a stop a time or two when they are new to clipless because they forget to clip out. It sucks, but you'll laugh it off. Good news is it only takes a time or two for you to never, ever forget to clip out again.

Benefit: they keep your foot from slipping off the pedal, and causing your other foot, while it's pushing down, to ram the pedal deep into your shin. Nothing wrong with waiting until you are comfortable to make the jump, though.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Oh crap that should be my reason number 6.

Pffft, reason #1...I'm vein like that.

• goiahawks
    Options
    I don't think I'm ready to shave my legs yet. I think I'll stick with going home tonight and looking at all the evidence for flats and for clipless and visit my LBS this weekend. :) I will save shaving my legs for next year. :)
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    goiahawks wrote: »
    My average rides are 25 - 40 miles with the occasional 70-110. Will clipless pedals help me endurance wise and help to make the ride easier?
    With those distances, clipless will definitely make a positive difference.

• dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    regarding shaving: cyclists shave because cyclists shave.

See: http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/why-do-cyclists-shave-their-legs

The Reality: "Tradition is why everyone shaves the first time. If you're a bike racer, that's just what you do." —Horner

"Leg shaving is an expression of being a cyclist." —Horgan-Kobelski

"It always just seemed stupid to me." —Multitime Leadville Trail 100 winner Dave Wiens

"It was the fashion when I raced. It's the fashion now. Real bike riders shave their legs." —Phinney
  • chivalryder
    Options

Considering that the pros are willing to do everything, legal or not, to gain a tiny advantage (drugs perhaps?) I would be willing to bet that there is something actually to riding with clipless pedals other than culture. If flat pedals were in any way more efficient they would be using them.

I would agree with this, except that the pros are sponsored, and ride whatever bikes and (for the most part) use whatever equipment their sponsors tell them too.

They're also putting down 1000+W of power in the sprints, ride with cadences up to and over 120rpm, fly down skinny roads at 110+ kmph, etc. etc.

Not exactly an environment 99.9% of us will ever experneice.

Also, clipless pedals, and more notably the shoes are more aerodynamic and weigh less. That reason alone would be why I would use clipless pedals in competition.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    If you are gonna do it, do it like a boss.

BreakingAwayTape.jpg
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

and I disagree with the requirement to have a shoe / bike fitting for people using clipless pedals. can it help? Yes. Is it a necessary requirement? No.

If the goal is to ride long (50+ miles at a time lets say) then I would say it is definitely a requirement. Without a proper fit you could be all over the place on that bike and never realize you are being inefficient. Or blame the bike for why your back hurts when really you need to be properly fit on it.

I didn't say there was never any reason for it. I said it is not an inherent requirement to using clipless pedals. A good shop should be able to get you close enough to start in 10 minutes, and for many people, that will suffice. If you start to have fatigue or discomfort beyond what's normal/expected, then a full bike fit can be great.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    In to see where this goes.

I am thinking of getting a road bike in the spring and everyone that bikes says I need switch to clipped pedals when I do that.
    It depends on your goals. You do not need them, like tires or something. Many people commute wearing whatever. The stiff soles and positive connection of clipless makes a difference when you get beyond casual riding.

If like me you ride a recumbent trike, then some type of foot retention system is necessary for safety. Frequently I ride to commute or for fun, not for max speed and fitness. Street shoes work for me. Personal preference.

• glevinso
    Options

I would agree with this, except that the pros are sponsored, and ride whatever bikes and (for the most part) use whatever equipment their sponsors tell them too.

They're also putting down 1000+W of power in the sprints, ride with cadences up to and over 120rpm, fly down skinny roads at 110+ kmph, etc. etc.

Not exactly an environment 99.9% of us will ever experneice.

Also, clipless pedals, and more notably the shoes are more aerodynamic and weigh less. That reason alone would be why I would use clipless pedals in competition.

If flat pedals were faster, the sponsors would be making them and putting their logo all over them.

I don't think it requires experiencing the extremes of pro racing to realize the advantages they have can translate to the more common-man experience of a "group century ride" or the typical triathlete who is aiming for age-group competition.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

^This.

Improper fit not only leads to discomfort and loss of efficiency, it also leads to injury, sometimes serious, which can force you to stop cycling and put on 60+ lbs.

Again... Not getting fitted does not necessarily mean an improper fit.