Quick rule of thumb on how to breathe while lifting weights

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Lots of people get confused so here's something easy to remember:

Inhale on the EASIER motion of the exercise (that's usually going to be in the eccentric phase).

A CONTROLLED exhale on the HARDER motion of the exercise (concentric phase).

IE: If doing a barbell curl, the easier motion is bringing the bar back down and the harder motion is curling it up.

This is applied to any exercise. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH on exercises throughout (especially in the concentric phase) as this will exponentially increase your blood pressure and for some cause them to faint or get dizzy and pass out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• moranlarap
    Options
    thanks.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I always mix this up - thank you!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I suck at breathing during squats.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I hold my breath while bench pressing. Thanks for the reminder!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    If I breath out while doing my lifts, I lose the tightness and my form goes to crap. I have to wait until a finish the rep and breath inbetween
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I always hold my breath on squats until I'm 2/3 of the way up. I also try and do at least the first three reps of bench and press with breath held.

Keeps things tight.
    Haven't mastered how to keep it tight while still breathing then. Something to work on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If I breath out while doing my lifts, I lose the tightness and my form goes to crap. I have to wait until a finish the rep and breath inbetween
    Same, I need to breathe basically when it feels comfortable. If I focus on breathing while also focusing on the rep itself, then I basically lose all form. It's like when I got distracted while lunging in the squat rack when I was kind of side-eyeing a cute guy LOL. If I just focus on the form and whatnot, breathing just falls into a comfortable place.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    See above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^^

Any training video I have watched, especially with the squat, has them holding the breathe till the rep is complete. This is to help keep the core tight during the lift.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I can see what Niner is saying if you aren't using a belt but with the belt on, pushing out against the belt helps with core tightness. IMHO
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting that I'm not doing cardio. Timing my movements with my breathing, then taking a breath between, helps to keep me focused on controlled movements instead of bouncing around.
  • ninerbuff
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »

^^^This^^^^

Any training video I have watched, especially with the squat, has them holding the breathe till the rep is complete. This is to help keep the core tight during the lift.
    Post one. I for one would like to see a legit trainer doing it.

People that lose form when breathing out aren't creating "intra abdominal pressure" to keep the core tight when squatting, bench pressing, rowing, etc.
    There's a difference in breathing out and just blowing out air and breathing out through the diaphram while keeping your core tight.
    Again, it's something to learn and master. It takes practice, but take a breath in and when you blow out, do it by flexing your core at the same time.

EDIT: One quick note I forgot to mention. Breathing out isn't all at once. With squats lots of people do it through "pursed" lips (which is why some sound like they hiss when they lift).
    Point is, holding your breath through a movement (especially heavy compound movements) isn't recommended.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• monicapevans
    monicapevans Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    off topic but how are you supposed to breathe when you run? mouth or nose?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    off topic but how are you supposed to breathe when you run? mouth or nose?

Personally, when my respiration rate gets to a certain point, nose breathing just don't cut it. So for me, it's mouth/both.
  • monicapevans
    monicapevans Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks jacksonpt
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ksy1969 wrote: »

^^^This^^^^

Post one. I for one would like to see a legit trainer doing it.

Mark Rippetoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkeN_fkXrdE

Not a video, but an excerpt from 5/3/1 with Jim Wendler:
    Before the descent, take another breath and go. Keep this air in until you’re about 2/3 of the way back up. Then you can let it out.

• Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Yep - - it's actually like pooping. But don't actually poop. Upon this, is frowned.

With love,
    Burt
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I can see what Niner is saying if you aren't using a belt but with the belt on, pushing out against the belt helps with core tightness. IMHO
    Belts are supposed to be pretty snug making it a little tougher to inhale anyway creating more intra abdominal wall pressure. If they aren't snug before the lift, then it's essentially like lifting without a belt.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Same here, when I have over about 260# on, I forget to breath until the rep is over. Too busy concentrating on everything else.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Same here, when I have over about 260# on, I forget to breath until the rep is over. Too busy concentrating on everything else.
    Gotta work on the kiai bro.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png