My Favourite Sandwich is Half my Daily Quota

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    smandymail wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the sugar count on that yummy sounding sandwich?

Sugar is at 21g! Nearly at half on that too ;)
    I think it's totally worth it :)
    Less than an Oprah chai latte!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    is the sara lee bread like a normal sized slice? I used the arnolds 100 calorie rolls but they are kind of thin and boring.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I use sara lee 45 cal bread, so 2 slices = 90. This way, if you were to add 2 tbs PB =190 and 1 tbs nutella =100 for a total of 380, this would be much better than your 600. You have to learn moderation. Welcome to MFP!
    So I've been tracking all of my food very carefully this week on My Fitness Pal. Today I realized that my normal - and very beloved! - peanut butter and nutella sandwich actually puts me over my entire daily fat quota by 2 grams, and makes up more than half my daily caloric intake.

Hahahahahhaha!!

Yes, I believe it. It just sounds ludicrous, don't you think?

Peanut butter & Nutella stirred into fat free Greek yoghurt is delish too!

whoa! The thought of that makes my stomach churn. I'll take your word for it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I say keep the foods you love, just make room for them. One of my favourite treats is to make myself homemade pancakes on a lazy weekend morning. All the real butter - white flour - white sugar - full fat goodness of the pancakes made just like my mom used to cook them. With real maple syrup, of course. A single serving of 2-3 pancakes is a whopping 540 calories! But if I indulge only once in a while, serve them up with some berries, and call it both breakfast and lunch, I feel full till dinner and can still come in under my calorie goal for the day.

It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle change. Keep the things you love; just make them work.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Idk if you have these in your supermarket, but we have "snowflake rolls" that are only 100 calories for the whole thing so that would be a good alternative.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My favorite sandwich probably has more calories than I can eat in two days, but they don't tell how many, exactly, so it's hard to know.

I just never get it. :)
  • smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Anyway, I say keep the foods you love, just make room for them. One of my favourite treats is to make myself homemade pancakes on a lazy weekend morning. All the real butter - white flour - white sugar - full fat goodness of the pancakes made just like my mom used to cook them. With real maple syrup, of course. A single serving of 2-3 pancakes is a whopping 540 calories! But if I indulge only once in a while, serve them up with some berries, and call it both breakfast and lunch, I feel full till dinner and can still come in under my calorie goal for the day.

It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle change. Keep the things you love; just make them work.

Totally!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Maybe have it on a day when you have a particularly strenuous workout. The first time I ever ran 5 miles happened because I wanted a burger and some fries from 5 Guys. I was planning on a 3 mile but decided that if I could make the 5 mile mark I'd treat myself. It may have been the whole "rewarding myself with food" thing which some people hate but I still ran 5 miles. Oh, and I think PB2 is nasty. I ended up using the one jar I bought in smoothies just to get rid of it :)
  • segacs
    Options
    stevwil41 wrote: »
    It may have been the whole "rewarding myself with food" thing which some people hate but I still ran 5 miles.

I know some people see it that way, but I don't think there's anything wrong with rewarding yourself as food. Sure, some people will argue that you should aim to change your whole attitude towards food, to see it as fuel instead of as a reward. But personally, I think that good food is one of the good things in life. I *want* to enjoy it, not just to fuel myself with X number of calories. Otherwise, I'd simply pump calories and nutrients into my veins with no regard for taste, atmosphere or presentation. And hey, if I earn those extra calories, I'll enjoy them even more!

This works for me with money (i.e. budgeting) when I save up for something and then ultimately enjoy it more when I buy it as a result. I see no reason why it shouldn't also work with food.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I've never personally tried it, but some people have said PB2's Powdered Peanut Butter is a good alternative to traditional PB. Of course, there are mixed reviews on this, so it's something you may want to consider if lower calories is high on your priority list.

Powdered peanut butter? Interesting

PB2 is good on apples, rice cakes, & smoothies; however, I don't think it would taste too great on a sandwich.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The Sara Lee is the same size as a regular slice of bread. I hate bread, but on the rare occasion i want a sandwich and i haven't already made my own bread, i use that. It's pretty good. Those Arnold's thin sandwich rounds can be good for changing stuff up, too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    stevwil41 wrote: »
    It may have been the whole "rewarding myself with food" thing which some people hate but I still ran 5 miles.

I know some people see it that way, but I don't think there's anything wrong with rewarding yourself as food. Sure, some people will argue that you should aim to change your whole attitude towards food, to see it as fuel instead of as a reward. But personally, I think that good food is one of the good things in life. I *want* to enjoy it, not just to fuel myself with X number of calories. Otherwise, I'd simply pump calories and nutrients into my veins with no regard for taste, atmosphere or presentation. And hey, if I earn those extra calories, I'll enjoy them even more!

This works for me with money (i.e. budgeting) when I save up for something and then ultimately enjoy it more when I buy it as a result. I see no reason why it shouldn't also work with food.
    I assume that like most things, it depends on the person, their relationship with food, their goals, etc. etc.etc.

I firmly believe in "good food", and like everything else, one's definition of "good food" varies...
    We all need to figure out what works for us for the long haul (I won't say "forever" because that shifts as well). Cheers.
  • segacs
    Options
    We all need to figure out what works for us for the long haul (I won't say "forever" because that shifts as well). Cheers.

Yep, exactly!

The only reason I even brought it up is that, it seems to me as a relative newbie that this forum is just like most any other internet forum or group that's been around for a little while -- certain tropes or sacred cows have developed and get oft-repeated. The don't-see-food-as-reward one seems to me like it's one of them. And hey, if that works for some folks, great. I just think that it's gonna be different for everyone, and I'd hate to see someone feeling bad about themselves for having a different approach that works for them only to get the impression from hanging around here that it's somehow "wrong" or "bad".

Now, on that note, I'm off to enjoy some (within my daily macros) delicious chocolate.

Cheers right back at'cha.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Does sound ridiculous. a 500 calorie sandwich is half caloric goal. lulz.
    That's called doing it wrong.
  • vegemitesandwich
    vegemitesandwich Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Does sound ridiculous. a 500 calorie sandwich is half caloric goal. lulz.
    That's called doing it wrong.

Any that's helpful at all how? It works for OP and makes it sustainable for her, which is a lot better than feeling deprived and increasing the chances she'll go off plan.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So I've been tracking all of my food very carefully this week on My Fitness Pal. Today I realized that my normal - and very beloved! - peanut butter and nutella sandwich actually puts me over my entire daily fat quota by 2 grams, and makes up more than half my daily caloric intake.

Hahahahahhaha!!

Yes, I believe it. It just sounds ludicrous, don't you think?

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting half of your daily calories from one meal.

If you would like to eat more food you have two options:

1. Decrease your deficit by eating more and losing weight at a slower weight

2. Keep your deficit the same by exercising more and eating back all additional calories burned.

I don't know anything about your current stats or goals so only you can decide which of the two above options are appropriate.

I don't think anyone should judge OP for her caloric target without knowing her situation. She could be very short, petite and sedentary with a low TDEE.
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I do the exact s
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Whoops, that didn't work! I do the exact same thing! I used to try to make substitutions and make the pancakes "healthier", but I wouldn't end up consuming any less calories because they weren't as satisfying. So if you want to replace your multi-grain bread with the lite cardboard, or replace creamy peanut butter with some sort of substitute you definitely can, but if you enjoy your sandwich and have room (and you said it keeps you full for a long time!) don't change anything.
  • smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm a believer in satisfying calories, not low-fat substitutes. For those who are wondering, my caloric goal isn't very high just because I am already quite small, with a very sedentary lifestyle. I am a writer, working from a reclining position. That means I need a lot fewer calories than someone on their feet all day long.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Whoops, that didn't work! I do the exact same thing! I used to try to make substitutions and make the pancakes "healthier", but I wouldn't end up consuming any less calories because they weren't as satisfying. So if you want to replace your multi-grain bread with the lite cardboard, or replace creamy peanut butter with some sort of substitute you definitely can, but if you enjoy your sandwich and have room (and you said it keeps you full for a long time!) don't change anything.

Granted, to some the multigrain bread is already a substitute... :)