80% diet 20% exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    lowest you should be netting is 1200 pre workout in my opinion depending on height and how much weight you wish to lose
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jonjhayden wrote: »
    Are you logging your calorie burn from your work outs? If so are you eating those calories back or sticking to your original calorie goal?

I would suggest eating the calories you burn if not. I hate to be the wet towel on the deficit is all that matters for weight loss, but while this is entirely true that deficit is all that matters for weight loss. It is not true for fat loss. I imagine that your true goal is fat loss and of course weight is the way you are measuring that fat loss. Diet alone to achieve the loss that you are looking for is more likely to not only lose fat but muscle mass as well.

I would suggest two things: (1) Be sure to log your calorie burn for the day and eat back those calories for a couple of days until you feel more motivated. (2) Change your work out routine. Go for a long walk with a friend, go swimming at a local pool, etc. Then when you feel refreshed get back to our good friend Jillian. :smile:

Good Luck!

(*)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Weight isn't lost in theory; it's lost in practice. I like to read and mull over (or dismiss) the theories, but whether it's 80% diet and 20% exercise, vice versa or some other split - I just don't even care. :)

Point is, I eat what I eat and do what I do and the weight comes off. :)

I know that exercising makes a tremendous difference for me. Without it, I'd have to starve myself to lose. So, pick whatever percentage you want - it helps. It works. That's all I care about.

I might be more bottom-line than you, though. All ways are good. I do what works for me.

You have to do what works for you. :) If you're feeling weak, that might mean adding a few more calories. Try adding 100 or 200 and see how that goes. :)
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Weight isn't lost in theory; it's lost in practice. I like to read and mull over (or dismiss) the theories, but whether it's 80% diet and 20% exercise, vice versa or some other split - I just don't even care. :)

Point is, I eat what I eat and do what I do and the weight comes off. :)

I know that exercising makes a tremendous difference for me. Without it, I'd have to starve myself to lose. So, pick whatever percentage you want - it helps. It works. That's all I care about.

I might be more bottom-line than you, though. All ways are good. I do what works for me.

You have to do what works for you. :) If you're feeling weak, that might mean adding a few more calories. Try adding 100 or 200 and see how that goes. :)

This might be my favorite post in MFP history..... :smile:
  • Levar85
    Levar85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, all.
    80/20 is somewhat general rule. You can find it in sports, architecture, painting, mathematics, economy, etc.
    But, my opinion is that this rule is very rigid. The main point is to combine dieting and workout. But ratio isn't the same for everyone.
    You need to find optimal portion sizes (calorie intake) and workout intensity.
    Wish you luck.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I personally would skip the JM workouts and the netting. 10 weeks of JM is enough. Listen to your body. Take a walk instead. You don't have to beat yourself up to lose weight. Especially if you're only going to 'eat back' all that hard work.

I don't ever feel like you do from 'not enough calories' (and I fast). But I feel that way from overtraining.

Good luck!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If you're too tired, take a break or do something that is easier. Take a walk or do some stretches while seated or lying down. Listen to your body. Nothing says you have to work out really hard every single day. You will still lose as long as you eat at a deficit.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Well after 10 weeks on the Jillian Michael's Body Revolution, and not missing a beat/day, I all of a sudden am really struggling to find the energy this week to get my workouts done. I feel like I have let myself down but I am so very tired and busy with a lot of other things going on at the moment, I feel like I would pass out if I attempted the circuit. I did them the last two nights and intend on continuing and finishing, just trying not to beat myself up over missing a night or two.

My question is, with thoughts of this week only, what is your opinion/results on 80-20% theory?

Just depends... diet makes you thin, exercise makes you look good when you get there

• ainsliejane
    ainsliejane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't focus on the ratio, I have always seen exercise as an important part of life regardless of weight loss. I missed it today but went back over my notes and think it may be hormonal as I was the same a month ago. Plus of course lack of sleep and stress. I guess the OP was a little pep talk internally to say it's ok to miss a session or two, just stay on track with food..don't beat yourself up too much.

I figured I can up the calories a little as well, see how that goes...if I look back over my averages they are fairly consistent and I have enough energy most of the time minus one week. Thanks for all the opinions though.

PS. I didn't answer this before but yes, my scale sits in the middle of the kitchen bench, everything weighed and logged.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    80/20 is a general number, but weight loss is about taking in less calories than you burn, eating at a calorie deficit. You have to fuel your body though, especially if you are exercising a lot.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    rest, eat, rest, eat. You're obviously working out too much for your stressful lifestyle. I've done that before, many times, and it leads to just giving up. for me anyway. On the days you don't work out, just keep at your calorie goal. And make sure you feed yourself to recover when you do workout. I find it crucial, now that I know about it, to have a high protein post workout meal or drink. Within 15 minutes of cooling down. (I make a smoothie with liquid egg whites).

I'm on my feet all day. In a stressful, customer facing, sales position. I have to ease up on the exercise to have the energy to do my job. Don't worry/make yourself sick worrying about losing weight or getting through someone's super duper workout at the risk of permanently affecting your home and worklife.

That is NOT balance. Some of those workouts seem to be intended for those with all kinds of free time, or desk jobs.

Don't workout again until you feel energized for it. Exercise should not be adding to your daily chores.
  • juhinr5690
    Options
    hey everyone! I had lost 54 pounds before my wedding in December 2013. After I got married, I gained a lot of that weight back. I am getting back on track now and trying to lose 50 pounds. I will be documenting my journey on my youtube channel and want to invite you all to join me! Please subscribe to my channel and join me on my weight loss journey. Here is a link to my weight loss intro video:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=VbcoZjHAUu4&list=UUwMEWtg6_Zy-aHEDlTozknA