What food do you wish was available where you live?

Options

Replies

• LilyOfTheValley008
    Options
    I wish PB2 was sold in supermarkets in Australia, also I've never tried coffee creamer because we don't have them here (as far as I'm aware).
    Mostly though I wish we had a Whole Foods!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Mostly though I wish we had a Whole Foods!

Really? I'm quite glad it hasn't made it to Quebec yet. Whole Foods is affectionately nicknamed "Whole Paycheque" for a reason. (Also, it is in the business of selling pseudoscience and woo, both of which I can do without.)

• Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Proper fresh lo mein noodles. There are two Asian markets in town, and neither carry them. :(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    We don't have any of those sugar free syrups or alot of the other "diet" products Americans have. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing. Some times I think it would be nice to have a sugar free syrup for my coffee but I'm just as happy to have NO artificial sweetners. Too many chemicals.

What I do wish was available here is spaghette squash. Used to be able to get it when I was a kid, but now I can't find it anywhere.

My local Coles has it now! Have you tried the markets? I don't know where you are, but I have also seen it at Foodland Pasedena (used to be Big Crow)

• Courtney9433
    Courtney9433 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well, it isn't something specific but I really really wish we had Publix grocery stores. My boyfriend brought back some different varieties of some things we normally eat. Such as, wraps, condiments, and bagels. Also, the fruit and vegetables that are available are so much better than what we can get in Mississippi.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Are there any foods that you hear other MFPers talk about that you're a little jealous of? Something you would like to try but is difficult to get your hands on at home?

Id really like to be able to have the little pre packed bags of prepared baby carrots that Americans have. They're so adorable and convenient.

I'd also like to try some of the bread options we don't have available in Aus. Especially Ezekiel bread.

Don't worry. They're gross. Best straight out the ground.

I don't think there's anything here in NYC that I want and I can't get access to
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I wish fresh berries were affordable. I'm in New England, and they're very reasonable in summer, but after that, so expensive, and I love them. However, I can't pay $4.00 for a cup of berries that I'll eat in one sitting.
  • littlej01
    littlej01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Moved from Ontario, Canada to Missouri. I miss Tim Horton's not because they have good coffee, but I loved how they were open 24hours (I work shift work so sometimes coffee at 2am is needed). I also had a random craving for a Pillsbury pizza pocket the other day and couldn't find them in here....
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Belarus Narochanski dark bread, sichuan peppercorns (real ones, not the ones treated at insane temperature and dried out), fresh thai basil
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I wish fresh berries were affordable. I'm in New England, and they're very reasonable in summer, but after that, so expensive, and I love them. However, I can't pay $4.00 for a cup of berries that I'll eat in one sitting.

I do it sometimes. I think I've paid more. I can't resist-but probably should.
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I lived in Norway for a year and they had a delicious marzipanakake (marzipan cake)...there was also a restaurant on the corner of my street there that had one of the best pastas I've ever tasted - (it had a spicy curried sauce).

I agree with the other poster from Montreal - we have great food here. I do however miss the variety they have in U.S. grocery stores sometimes (my sister lives in Boston and I love to grocery shop when I visit her!)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    We don't have any of those sugar free syrups or alot of the other "diet" products Americans have. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing. Some times I think it would be nice to have a sugar free syrup for my coffee but I'm just as happy to have NO artificial sweetners. Too many chemicals.

What I do wish was available here is spaghette squash. Used to be able to get it when I was a kid, but now I can't find it anywhere.

My local Coles has it now! Have you tried the markets? I don't know where you are, but I have also seen it at Foodland Pasedena (used to be Big Crow)

I'm in eastern suburbs of Adelaide.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Raspberries, greek yoghurt. And ostrich meat. It's actually eaten in my country... but not available in my province because we don't have ostrich farms here.
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I can buy almost anything American/British at a specialty store here in Geneva, but the prices are out of this world and out of my budget. I miss sugar free jello/pudding mixes, fat free/low sodium chicken broth in the brick carton, graham crackers, Motts apple butter, clam chowder, and Hostess ho-ho's. And oh, a piece of fried chicken from Publix or Wynn Dixie garlic parmesan chicken wings.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »
    I can buy almost anything American/British at a specialty store here in Geneva, but the prices are out of this world and out of my budget.

Aren't the prices of everything in Geneva out of this world and out of everyone's budget?

• zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Spaghetti squash. Don't think it's sold anywhere in either of the countries I've lived in. I'd like to just try it.

I'm living in Norway right now so a lot of things are simply out of my budget. I haven't had a chicken breast (or red meat) since July. And cheese. Obviously chicken and cheese are sold here but too expensive for me to justify when there's other things I could have much cheaper. I mostly have ground pork and occasionally ground chicken but yeah, I miss simple chicken breast dinners!
  • buket1819
    buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt :(
  • stjanki
    Options
    Organic fresh salsa. Add it to anything. boom! instant yum yums XD
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and I miss---peanut butter, milwaukee dill pickles, ceasar salad, and western salad dressing.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm an Australian living in England and I wish I had easy access to Twisties, Chocolate Teddy Bear Biscuits, Caramello Koalas, Nutri Grain cereal , Chicken in a Biskit, Vita-Weat and Promite.