How do you react when a stranger randomly compliments you?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    GIF-chloe-concerned-confused-girl-kid-look-say-what-side-eye-side-eyeing-suspicious-think-thinking-GIF.gif
    "Thank you?"
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm awkward, soooo, even though I don't mean to, I usually somehow find a way to undermine the compliment.

example:
    "I like your outfit"

my awkward response:
    "Thanks it was on sale..."

????

Generally followed by me wondering wtf is wrong with me.

Sounds about right...followed by standing there just a second too long.
  • Eserra0510
    Eserra0510 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I smile and say thank you! Its funny how people react to simple things like a compliment or a simple smile. When I pass someone I usually smile at them. You never know--you might be the first or the only smile they receive all day and you just made the person feel better, and not so invisible to the world. Had a discussion with a group of folks one time about that and I tested my hypothesis that most people will smile in return. I was traveling so the airports was a great place to pass by a lot of people and I found that 75% approximately smiled right back at me. A few were startled by the smile but then smiled back and then there were a few, very few, who looked at me like I had two heads or something.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    Medivh73 wrote: »
    tumblr_mtnel7z7KT1rdprhyo1_500.gif

Hahaha - love this....

In all honesty, it depends on the "creep factor" of the person giving it. In general, my self-esteem took such a beating over the years, I have my own personal issues with accepting compliments but am flattered as well. It's especially nice as you start to age!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Unless it's creepy. Then:

giphy.gif
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    biDFHU0.gif
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Smile and say thank you.
  • _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    They don't?
  • temptingbiter
    temptingbiter Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just say thank you. I doesn't happen much though.
  • Whitcomb84
    Options
    I have a hard time believing them
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice, I smile and say thank you :)
  • holagatita
    holagatita Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    say "thank you" as long ias it doesn't get weird
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Say thank you and then carry on so it doesn't get awkward
  • WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    Options
    say thank you and add them on FB... I need all the compliments I can get.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Never gotten one. Don't see it happening anytime soon. Women don't randomly compliment guys unless they're really fit and good looking. It's a thing.

This is not completely true. I compliment guys if they have something that stands out about them, like a great shirt or a dapper mustache. I think I'm going to make it a point to randomly compliment guys more often.

• richardositosanchez
    Options
    I say thanks.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Say Thank You and soak it in all day especially if from someone who is extremely Beautiful that I could never compare myself to.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    Never gotten one. Don't see it happening anytime soon. Women don't randomly compliment guys unless they're really fit and good looking. It's a thing.

This is not completely true. I compliment guys if they have something that stands out about them, like a great shirt or a dapper mustache. I think I'm going to make it a point to randomly compliment guys more often.

Wow, that is really great of you to start doing that. I'll second that I don't get complimented, but I'm not exactly good looking (yet) anyway. There was once I was talking to a woman, hanging out with a group at a bar and talking politics (to each their own, right?). We had seen each other around a few times, but didn't really know each other well. I knew we had that in common, and she had complimented me so I thought she might be interested in dating (because otherwise women don't ever compliment men, right?). I was kinda hitting on her back. She later sent me a message and basically said she was not at all interested... she just had sensed I was feeling down and was trying to cheer me up.

There is a fine line in how men "compliment" women... sometimes it is a compliment, but sometimes men harass women. Sometimes we don't know the difference, but I think more often, guys do know and we are just jerks.

How would I react? Well, in the above situation, my reaction was based on several factors beyond the compliment. I was once in a grocery store a few years ago, and was wearing my "Employee of the Month - Dunder Mifflin Paper Company" t-shirt (I miss that show now). I came around the corner, and this woman in that aisle looked at me and started laughing. She said, "Nice shirt - I love that show." I just said "Thank you... and I know, Steve Carell is hilarious, right?!"
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

Wow, that is really great of you to start doing that. I'll second that I don't get complimented, but I'm not exactly good looking (yet) anyway. There was once I was talking to a woman, hanging out with a group at a bar and talking politics (to each their own, right?). We had seen each other around a few times, but didn't really know each other well. I knew we had that in common, and she had complimented me so I thought she might be interested in dating (because otherwise women don't ever compliment men, right?). I was kinda hitting on her back. She later sent me a message and basically said she was not at all interested... she just had sensed I was feeling down and was trying to cheer me up.

That may be why women are less inclined to compliment. They may want to be nice, but not have the guy read too much into it.