Negative Comments

Options
Does anyone else have some friends or family members that always are so negative about your weight loss? For instance, my cousin and his wife (who is far more overweight than I am) are always saying "oh yea she says she does all this stuff but the weights are probably just for show." or when I say im watching my calories for the day, they say things like "whatever, you shouldnt have to do that." They both eat very unclean - im talking fast food and junk every day - 4000 calories or more a day. I feel proud of myself and what I have accomplished and it just really bugs me when people like that try to make me feel bad about sticking to my plan. Any thoughts? Thanks for listening to my rant :)

Replies

• AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    They are just jealous and probably miserable with themselves so they feel the need to put others down.
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Some people are jealous, some are afraid to change, some are ignorant. It may be hard but you have to live your life the way you want (of course like everything in moderation :) and not worry too much about other people's random opinions.

And good job keeping up with what you set out to do!
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    ditch the people in your life that are NOT supportive.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'd invite them over to work out with me. Seeing is believing. You can't fake a great workout, and it might actually inspire them to do some work on themselves.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    You just can't please some people no matter how hard you try. Your best bet is to ignore them and walk away. Don't try to argue, you will just feel worse - and you do not need to explain yourself. A simple, "It's my life to live how I want" then walk away, or something similar. It will be hard, but hopefully after a couple of times of walking away, they will drop it.

Oh, and yes I hate people that make those types of comments. I have a coworker that keeps telling me how she doesn't feel that great when she is smaller - I wouldn't either if I only ate a banana or handful of oyster cracker in the morning for breakfast, nothing for lunch and an ok dinner. She feels bad because she starves her body.

And good for you for sticking to your plan! You are out to make yourself healthier and happier, don't worry about anybody but you.
  • stacilynn_1215
    stacilynn_1215 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks :) i have a really great support group from the rest of my family and friends. and i only see those people every so often, so its not that big of a deal. it's just irritating. I want to scream sometimes when i see how people that could benefit from a lifestyle change themselves start preaching negatively to those who are already doing wonderful. I really love the support here on MFP too - I probably wouldnt have truly turned my life around without starting this site. so thank you everybody :)
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a friend, and her parents drive me crazy. Both parents are over weight, and they both say the most horrible things about their daughter's weight. A couple of weeks ago I ran into the little girl and her mother at a school event, and her mother remarked about how tall my daughter is getting. Then she went on to say that her daughter is also growing, but she is growing wider not taller. What kind of person says that about their own kid!!!!???? Our kids also play soccer, and the other day when our girl's were competing against each other in a game, her parents kept telling us that their daughter won't ever make a goal, but as long as she is having fun they are happy to let her play soccer. They also yelled out to her, "Hey use all your weight to get through the girls". I try and say things to her parents to let them know that it isn't okay to talk about their daughter this way, but they just don't seem to get it! I know this is hurting their daughter. She has told my daughter that she is fat, and she has gained a bunch of weight over the last two years. I am sure she is depressed, and gaining the weight, because of how her parents have been talking to her. She is only nine years old. I am not sure what to do about this. If anyone has any advice on how I could help this family please tell me.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Don't let those people get you down. I'm sure putting down your lifestyle, only makes them feel better about themselves.

Keep up the good work!
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have had a funny year health wise. Had a couple of migraine type attacks which I'd never had before, got a big tooth abcess and now have problematic gall stones which need surgery soon. There's woman at work who has told just about everybody that it's because I'm starving myself and I need to stop it. Now some of this may be related to the weightloss but I don't think putting it back on is the answer! Yes I've lost weight relatively fast, but I was over 300lb and diabetic for crying out loud. And, I certainly am not starving myself. In fact, when she asked what I ate in a day she reckoned it was more than her! She also makes comments about my clothes being too big. Well if she would like to buy me a whole new wardrobe every couple of months then she is welcome, but I'm not spending shed loads of money on clothes that will only fit for a few weeks.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the people who feel they are being supportive in asking, "are you sure you want to eat that?" and I'm left screaming to myself AHHH YEAH!! I' think I've got this figured out mostly and am losing. If I want something i fit it into my calories or i work out a little extra. And trust me if its something not healthy I've already asked myself a million times if its worth it or if I really want it, so the excuse (that was given to me) of well sometimes you just need that extra person to make you stop and think about it, really, I'm good on it thanks.
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    I find that people are always going to have something to say. I think for the most part they don't want you to do something that they aren't doing. Your changing your eating habits for the better is awesome. It is actually making their bad eating habits stand out and they just don't know how to deal with it. Keep leading by example.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'd think of some responses in advance, like 'well you can have all of my old fat clothes that don't fit me anymore if you want', or 'yes, well i'm trying to get rid of MY love handles' (then look at hers knowingly). however, my face gives me away when i'm pissed off with someone, so i have to follow it up with a retort or people just think i'm having a stroke.

but i'm a bit of a ***** when i want to be;-)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I find that in general, when a mirror is held up to them, some people do not like what they see. Instead of looking at their own reflection, it's easier to be negative to the mirror.

To change one's life can be a huge and sometimes difficult step, and when naysayers see others do it, while they are stuck in their own ruts (whatever they may be, not necessarily food and health-related), it reminds them of how much they continue along the same path. I'm sure we've all felt it, but the difference is that we are the ones who are now walking along a different path, while they sit back and try to rain on our parade.

When all is said and done however, the only people they are hurting are themselves. It's a shame because I suspect that that kind of negativity just feeds on itself; you find that a nasty comment doesn't make you feel better so the next time, you remember the frustration you felt, and you externalise it by being even nastier...which still doesn't make you feel better. And so on.

At least, that's how I imagine it works.

To the OP - if you can arrange it so you have to see them as little as possible, then my advice would be to do it. Why should you have to put up with such behaviour toward you? I wouldn't!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    stop listening.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    You should feel proud of what you are doing. Remember, you are doing it for yourself, not them, so who cares what they say ;) You have control of your life, and they don't, people don't like to be reminded of that.
  • lfclancy
    lfclancy Posts: 46
    Options
    Don't let those people get you down. I'm sure putting down your lifestyle, only makes them feel better about themselves.

Keep up the good work!

I completly agree. Hang in there & keep the supportive people in your life around you.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    and i only see those people every so often, so its not that big of a deal.

if it were me, i would try and schedule my goals based on visits to this branch of the family - that way i'd get their tickers going every time! you just stay the course and stick to what matters to *you*! best of luck!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    ps~ i *love* your smile!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Make their poison words - be your fuel to keep on goin' to your goals...

When it's time to sport that bathin' suit & you lookin' all HOT & SLENDER...You can tell them, everytime you put me down - you kept fuelin' me to pushin' on harder...!

They will be GREEN with envy...! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I find that people are always going to have something to say. I think for the most part they don't want you to do something that they aren't doing. Your changing your eating habits for the better is awesome. It is actually making their bad eating habits stand out and they just don't know how to deal with it. Keep leading by example.

Quoted for emphasis!