Older and aging Ladies

Options
MyChocolateDiet
MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
I hope you have the right hair for your age?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2396485/How-age-46-women-decide-cut-hair-short-favour-mature-style.html

I can't beleive people make polls like this, but in MFP the land of everloving polls and questions, I thought I'd include this since I'm sure one of you somewhere, sometime, has wondered about this question. I only wish they'd asked if "men like it". It's a half way informative poll anyways.

This is what I get for googling today. Weird articles telling me what other people think I should do and when. Like I haven't had enough of that already.

What say you... age limits on hair length, Good Fashion Advice or GTFO?

Replies

• CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and plan on having long hair for another couple of decades, at least. I don't much care what fashion dictates. ;)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Apparently these were opinions of other women that were sought out.

Clearly none of these women who gave their opinion have seen you, you look great with your hair like that.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Good Lord NO. No age limits on hair length. It's what your hair looks like and does that determines how to wear it.

Older women can sometimes have thin hair, and length accentuates thinness (I think). That's why we cut it shorter -- to kind of fluff it up.

But personally, I'mm'a keep mine between my chin and shoulders as long as it looks shiny and thick. I'm 52 and so far so good.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I say it's my hair and I do what I want with it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    tapirfrog wrote: »
    Good Lord NO. No age limits on hair length. It's what your hair looks like and does that determines how to wear it.

Older women can sometimes have thin hair, and length accentuates thinness (I think). That's why we cut it shorter -- to kind of fluff it up.

But personally, I'mm'a keep mine between my chin and shoulders as long as it looks shiny and thick. I'm 52 and so far so good.

Your hair looks thick and healthy too. And swingy. Nice.

• Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Guess I only have 4 years left at this length. Should make having to wear it in a bun for skating interesting. Haha
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I say it's my hair and I do what I want with it.

I knew MFPers were going to have this stance.

I feel like moving forward anyone making a poll of any kind should make a concerted effort to include the MFP community as givers of opinion because there is a certain je ne sais quois here that outside polls seem to miss.

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on the woman. ive seen plenty of younger women have old hair and plenty of post 40yo's who really should give it up and cut their hair.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Guess I only have 4 years left at this length. Should make having to wear it in a bun for skating interesting. Haha
    Jesus Girl! I thought you were like 25 when I posted behind you in that chit chat thread! You look so young and I'm thinking the long hair is part of it!

(Anyways in case you didn't know Taylor Swift is a young girl singer songwriter, just in case you don't listen to YoungFM anymore and didn't know.)
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    Before I cut my hair off in June, I still wore side pony tails whenever I felt like it and I'm 50! I think whatever suits us is the way to go! The only thing I'd be against are those funky Rooster haircuts and a Mullet on anybody any age! ;p
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    i think it depends on the woman. ive seen plenty of younger women have old hair and plenty of post 40yo's who really should give it up and cut their hair.
    Please elaborate on what constitutes "give it up" status? Anyone feel free to chime in. Wolf doesn't always like to say much. He's shy.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

lol this is how i feel about old men with dumb tatttoos
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Before I cut my hair off in June, I still wore side pony tails whenever I felt like it and I'm 50! I think whatever suits us is the way to go! The only thing I'd be against are those funky Rooster haircuts and a Mullet on anybody any age! ;p

Your hair is so shiny and pretty in that pic. Funny how you kinda styled it like a side pony anyways.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm in my mid-forties. No intentions of cutting off my hair. I have an aunt fifteen years older than I am with a similar mane -- though hers is a glorious copper. (Well, likely chemically enhanced at her age, but no-one has ever caught her dying it *grin* and it is the same color as it was when she was in her teens) She would be unlikely as I to cut it.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Jesus Girl! I thought you were like 25 when I posted behind you in that chit chat thread! You look so young and I'm thinking the long hair is part of it!

(Anyways in case you didn't know Taylor Swift is a young girl singer songwriter, just in case you don't listen to YoungFM anymore and didn't know.)

Haha thanks and I know Taylor Swift, I have the musical taste of a teen.
    And i figure if you think youthfully, act youthfully, then you appear youthful so I'm keeping my hair long. :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Haha thanks and I know Taylor Swift, I have the musical taste of a teen.
    And i figure if you think youthfully, act youthfully, then you appear youthful so I'm keeping my hair long. :)

OMG twinsies. I like Hello Kitty and LOVE taylor swift, and that all about that bass song. and that kid that sings the sex takes me to paradise song. "Woh eh eh". I have however put an embargo on shopping at forever 21. I mean it's not called Forever and Ever21!
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    Please elaborate on what constitutes "give it up" status? Anyone feel free to chime in. Wolf doesn't always like to say much. He's shy.

by give it up is when you can see the hair is "dried out", i am probably not using the right vocabulary, but their when it starts to look like straw.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I'm in my mid-forties. No intentions of cutting off my hair. I have an aunt fifteen years older than I am with a similar mane -- though hers is a glorious copper. (Well, likely chemically enhanced at her age, but no-one has ever caught her dying it *grin* and it is the same color as it was when she was in her teens) She would be unlikely as I to cut it.
    Both my aunts who were more strawberry blondish naturally started coloring each other's hair more of a "joker" red when they got older and cut it. It made it super shiny and the color perked up their complexions so nicely. They both had alabaster skin and with pink lipstick on the one and red lipstick on the other they looked so fresh and genuine right into their 60's.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I had long hair up until just this past summer and finally got a very short cut. It just so happens I turned 43 this year as well. But my reason was this: after many, many years of dealing with long hair (and my hair is very thick and coarse), I had had enough of it. The planning to wash and dry, style, the hours spent with the hot iron, etc. Not to mention my hair is HOT in the summer because of all that thick hair on my head. And I had worn it long for many years and I run the risk of it thinning at the top due to all the weight dragging down on my scalp. And I do NOT want to be bald or thinning on top. So off it went. Lucky for me my SO has a thing for short hair so he liked it immediately, but his opinion was not really the deciding factor, because it is my hair and my time.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    wow, some ppl are touchy lol.