When is it ok to delete friends?

Options
1235»

Replies

• mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I only delete friends who are inactive for several months, or who use MFP to post everything and anything. That's what FB is for. Occasional stories random stuff is fine, but daily, hourly updates are annoying. Post your weight loss goals, successes, trials and questions, but leave politics, agendas and drama out please.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have deleted people who post bogus fitness "tips" or who are trying to sell a program. Also, one chick who was posting all this sexual crap about her "swinger" relationship and crap. So not related to MFP. Otherwise, I don't care. Do what you gotta do, it's your prerogative.
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I delete if I find that I'm rolling my eyes at their posts or if they're pushing something (a product, religion, whatever). If I wanted to be annoyed, I'd be on Facebook.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I delete people if they're inactive BUT I always go to their home page first. If they only log in about once a month or less than that then I delete them. It frustrates me when someone posts in the forums that they need active friends who are supportive and then they drop off the face of the Earth after a few weeks. I'll support you but you have to work at it too.

I also delete people if their posts irritate me. LOL. I know that sounds rude, but I've started doing this on all my social media sites and it's really made my life so much better. If I find that your posts are all negative and they make me feel negative after I read them, then I delete you. I don't need that in my life. Negativity every once in a while is okay--we all have bad days. But if you're a real Negative Nelly, ain't nobody got time for that.

I did this on Facebook recently. I cleaned out about 100 "friends." It's so refreshing.
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I delete people (and even had to make a note in my profile) that are very obviously using the site to facilitate their eating disorder. I sympathize, I spent a long time in a terrible cycle of over-restricting, binging, sometimes purging, then giving up, rinse and repeat. Shame eating. Starving just to feel hunger pains. You name it. But I'm here to do better than that. I'm here to make sure I'm eating enough, and not too much. I don't need someone that's going to tempt me into bad habits, and really, what am I supposed to do? Congratulate them on their 200 calorie day? Or the 5000 calorie day that follows? Noooo thanks. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
  • zeltoria
    Options
    bmalone62 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have different opinions about deleting them when they aren't active but just curious, do you delete them for other reasons as well? Do you delete them when you feel they are rude? How about the ones that log in and are doing great but never support you with even a simple “like" on your progress?
    If they are not acting like a true friend, goodbye with them. If you have a bad day and need to whine and cry on here I understand but if your whining and crying everyday, goodbye. Also when people want me to motivate them when they don't seem to be trying to motivate themselves. I try to be supportive but life gets in the way and I am sure I miss some of the post people put up. I would not be offended if someone wanted to delete me off their list. I have found most people on here to be understanding and awesome friends.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The successful don't need you, and failures will drag you down. So, I just go by profile pics, if they're hot I keep them forever, if they switch to church clothes, DELETE!
    I remember when I friended a bunch of men at once, I forget why, some thread I was in probably. So I accept all these nicely dressed dudes and within a week's time they are all nekkid headless torsos.

It was awesome.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Is this really a serious question?
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I tend to add people I think I have things in common with. When it comes time to delete I usually delete them after 30 days of no logging (unless i have a good friendship with that person.). I also strongly consider deleting those that don't interact.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    I delete people if they're inactive BUT I always go to their home page first. If they only log in about once a month or less than that then I delete them. It frustrates me when someone posts in the forums that they need active friends who are supportive and then they drop off the face of the Earth after a few weeks. I'll support you but you have to work at it too.

I also delete people if their posts irritate me. LOL. I know that sounds rude, but I've started doing this on all my social media sites and it's really made my life so much better. If I find that your posts are all negative and they make me feel negative after I read them, then I delete you. I don't need that in my life. Negativity every once in a while is okay--we all have bad days. But if you're a real Negative Nelly, ain't nobody got time for that.

I did this on Facebook recently. I cleaned out about 100 "friends." It's so refreshing.

My FB rule is - If I ran into you in the street, would I offer to buy you a beer? If the answer is no, you don't stay on my FB list.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What are is this 'friend' thing you speak of?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I have deleted anyone? I would though, if they were being annoying. Not for being absent though, because if I don't see them I forget they exist.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    We are all here with a similar goal in mind but we all require different things to keep us going. Do whatever works best for you. I personally delete those who have been inactive for over 2 months. Its nothing personal.. I just feel like they have moved on, so I do a little cleanup once in a while. I have also deleted people for other reasons occasionally as I see fit.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty laid back. I'd only delete for overly rude or hateful behavior. Thankfully, neither sort have sent me FRs. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

My FB rule is - If I ran into you in the street, would I offer to buy you a beer? If the answer is no, you don't stay on my FB list.

My problem with that is simply...

If I like someone, I'll buy them a beer.
    If I *really* don't like someone, I'll buy them a beer then break it on their face.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    bmalone62 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have different opinions about deleting them when they aren't active but just curious, do you delete them for other reasons as well? Do you delete them when you feel they are rude? How about the ones that log in and are doing great but never support you with even a simple “like" on your progress?

Delete them for whatever reason you want. Whatever reason. It. Don't. Matter.
    Should I delete you?

If you want. You're more than welcome to take your bad pizza and go home. ;)

You've got problems man. Hating on my awesome pizza. Not sure I can deal with all this abuse.
    Truer words... lol.

If I can get to the Belmont, I'll ping you for pizza recs. ;)

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    You can have friends on here?

Naw. The people who you might be friends with probably suck anyhow. :laugh: