What Other People Think and Say... Why do you care?

Options

Replies

• emmanuel4everjackson
    Options
    Everyone has a need for love & acceptance... Most people look for it in all the wrong places.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    perhaps people care about what others say because words are often the prelude to, or an indication of, a person's behavior. for example, i am more likely to be a racist - and treat people of color badly - if i use commonly language that insults, shames, or denigrates people of color. our words show a lot about who we are, how we deal with other people, and what we are likely to do in any given situation. that's their power.
  • trickduffin
    trickduffin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    GorillaEsquire,

While I realize that the first part of your question is very specific, the final "question" was very generic, so I'll address the 2nd.

Why would you put all this information about yourself in your profile on a public forum?

About Me:
    6'3 / 270
    Married / 4 kids
    Attorney
    24 year martial artist
    DOD Certified Combatives & Firearms Instructor
    5th Degree Black Belt in TKD
    Black Belt in Judo
    Black Belt in Jiu Jitsu
    E1 in Krav Maga
    RAD (Rape Aggression Defense) Instructor
    Forum Ninja
    800 Pound Gorilla in the Room

Could it perhaps be that you "care" what others (strangers) think of you? Why did you pick the picture of yourself, showing only 1/2 of your face, but dressed in a suit, likely because you thought it was "impressive" to others. Why care about impressing others, if you don't "care" what they think.

The answer to your question is simple: "Human Nature".

Just my opinion, you're free to disagree!

Tim
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    GorillaEsquire,

While I realize that the first part of your question is very specific, the final "question" was very generic, so I'll address the 2nd.

Why would you put all this information about yourself in your profile on a public forum?

About Me:
    6'3 / 270
    Married / 4 kids
    Attorney
    24 year martial artist
    DOD Certified Combatives & Firearms Instructor
    5th Degree Black Belt in TKD
    Black Belt in Judo
    Black Belt in Jiu Jitsu
    E1 in Krav Maga
    RAD (Rape Aggression Defense) Instructor
    Forum Ninja
    800 Pound Gorilla in the Room

Could it perhaps be that you "care" what others (strangers) think of you? Why did you pick the picture of yourself, showing only 1/2 of your face, but dressed in a suit, likely because you thought it was "impressive" to others. Why care about impressing others, if you don't "care" what they think.

The answer to your question is simple: "Human Nature".

Just my opinion, you're free to disagree!

Tim

Because he's actually a 40 year old 90 lb virgin who lives with his mum?
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Seriously, go here:

community.babycenter.com/groups/a6865/the_debate_team

If you're honestly wanting to debate and/or discuss. I mean it, no snark. Well, there's gonna be snark there, BUT people really do want to debate and discuss.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Oooooh *squeal* I know what this topic stemmed from!

Nice debates (and attempts at debates), although I'm not sure this much intellectual stimulation is allowed on MFP forums.

Very much looking forward to the OP's counter to the last comment regarding his profile info.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I care what people think or say, but I always have and I'm quite sensitive. I hate that about me! :(
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    Not that I do but common decency is nice too.
    I mean some just are snarky for the sake of making
    themselves feel better and not finding other ways to
    do so.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    After what I've gone through, I don't care any more about what others (strangers, too) think or say about me..

Exactly this. sums it right up.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Listen here, Pitbull, your threads are lame. Dale!
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I care less the older I get what people think. Used to care a lot what others thought of me but that has a lot to do with being brought up in catholic Ireland. we were always told not to get too big for our boots or lose the run of ourselves.

My kids are far less sensitive than I was at their age. I think we need to realise most people are so busy worrying about themselves to really be worried about strangers on an Internet forum.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    lurk_zpsd6f7a763.gif