Appetite Suppressants... Help needed

Options
2»

Replies

• TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    No! It's really not good in the long run.
    Listen, there's this all natural acupuncture pressure spots all over our bodies that we can press and suppress hunger.
    Youtube weightloss acupuncture spots. Believe and achieve!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Have you considered trying to eat appetite suppressant foods (avocado, almonds, ginger, apples, eggs etc)?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    First, you have to get out of the mindset that this is a "diet", it has to be a lifestyle change. The first step in the change is to learn healthy eating habits. If you are hungry all of the time it may be because you haven't learned portion control and your stomach hasn't shrunk yet. It takes time for your stomach to shrink and when you don't fill it to capacity you may still get hunger signals. In the meantime, eat lots of lean proteins and high fiber foods that take longer to break down in your digestive system but is also lower in calories. Taper down the portion amounts over time. I used to be able to eat a whole large pizza at one time and now one to two pieces and I'm stuffed. Additionally, you can make more than what you can eat in one sitting, eat lightly but then eat again an hour later and again an hour later and so on throughout the day. This method will keep you satiated and at the same time will let your stomach shrink. Eventually you will fill full earlier and longer.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people who are saying "no" to appetite suppressants. I understand that they need to be prescribed by a doctor but that does NOT make them "HEALTHY". I also understand where you are coming from. When I started back on my journey, I was 34 years old and weighted almost 360 pounds. It's been about 5 months now and I have lost 57.5 pounds. I am under 300 pounds for the first time in my adult life. I have taken zero shortcuts. I have worked hard and I have learned so much about how to eat. I still eat pizza and chocolate and I do dine out 1-2 times a week. I drink lots of water. At first, I was hungry and I would get withdrawal headaches from the junk food. I planned meals and snacks carefully, I always pack my breakfast lunch and snacks (I, too, work a desk job and don't get up much because I'm in a call center) I know that you can do it. You don't have to eat salad all the time, fill up on lean protein and foods full of fiber. Skip the frozen and pre-packaged junk. If you want extra support, please feel free to send me a friend request and good luck with your journey! :heart:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    NO external appetite suppressant has worked for me so far, ever. That's not to say they won't work for anybody. Just my experience. What IS working this time around (amazingly) is: exercise! I have been getting outside with my kids and running around like mad and I swear I am just not hungry. I'm also controlling my carbs (not VLC or anything) and pairing my carbs with a protein and I feel like that's helping.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    DOn't go down that route, it will be even harder to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you take unhealthy steps to get there. Try doing a sugar cleanse instead. Most of us eat way, wayyyyy too much sugar. Sugar is addictive, just like a drug, you have a little, you want more. Cut all added sugars out of your diet for 2 weeks and you should immediately find it easier to control your appetite. When you are done with the cleanse don't go sugar crazy, slowly reintroduce and keep sugar levels low to help you stick with it. It's hard to do becuase sugar is in everythign (salad dressings, breads, etc.) but if you can stick with it for just 2 weeks, you will notice a WORLD of difference. I know from experience. Google "fed up challenge" for some tips on how to avoid sugar.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I would recommend meeting with a registered dietitian and learning how much you should be eating and how to eat a balanced nutritional diet. They can help teach you which foods keep you "fuller longer", etc. Your insurance may cover the first meeting. It is worth checking out. Best of luck!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight. Your plan of attack here is to put a band-aid over a gunshot wound?

Being mildly hungry is a far better circumstance than eating yourself into a grave. Change now while the choice is still yours.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Have protein, carbs and fat every time you eat. Get 20 gram of protein at each main meal. There are lots of options for lean protein so try those and eat protein first. Don't eat refined carbs or sugar, they'll just make you hungrier. Eat whole grains when you want carbs, avoid flour products too. Caffeine and alcohol can make you hungrier too. You can get healthy fats from nuts and fish and avocados.

Don't try to lose too much weight too fast. I originally tried to lose a pound a week and was starving and would binge and go over. Not good. Now I've switched to half a pound a week and it's much easier, plus after a few weeks my stomach shrunk so I am less hungry.

Try avoiding putting anything in your mouth because it will get your digestion going. Even drinking water is going to stimulate your digestive tract and stimulate hunger. Let it rest for an hour or two.

Look for foods with a high satiety index. Potatoes (although they are white carbs they can be very satisfying), beans (bean salad, chili, bean soup, etc...). You can google around for ideas and then pick the foods that work best for you.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    How about some natural appetite suppressants? Include more soluble fiber/resistant starch in your diet....these foods take longer to digest (and resistant starch is totally indigestible), resulting in less hunger. Some examples of foods with soluble fiber are oats (I cook up one cup oats and add a little brown sugar in the mornings and it's delicious), apples, nuts (but measure these out- they're extremely healthy but very energy-dense and thus high in calories), beans, carrots, etc. Resistant starch has many health benefits including lowering blood glucose levels, helping with weight loss, and it's beneficial to your gut bacteria. Examples include legumes, seeds, grains, and potatoes that are cooked and then cooled. So try adding some of these foods and see how you feel :)

Stealing that!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kelseyhere wrote: »
    DOn't go down that route, it will be even harder to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you take unhealthy steps to get there. Try doing a sugar cleanse instead. Most of us eat way, wayyyyy too much sugar. Sugar is addictive, just like a drug, you have a little, you want more. Cut all added sugars out of your diet for 2 weeks and you should immediately find it easier to control your appetite. When you are done with the cleanse don't go sugar crazy, slowly reintroduce and keep sugar levels low to help you stick with it. It's hard to do becuase sugar is in everythign (salad dressings, breads, etc.) but if you can stick with it for just 2 weeks, you will notice a WORLD of difference. I know from experience. Google "fed up challenge" for some tips on how to avoid sugar.

I am sorry but I have a hard time with those statements. What on earth is a sugar cleanse? Also sugar is sugar. To difference between added and natural sugar. If you were going to do a "sugar cleanse" you would have to cut out all fruit and most vegetables. That doesn't sound healthy.
  • annpatalexa
    annpatalexa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to your salad. It needs protein. Look into adding beans to it.

Talk to your doctor and do your research about what which suppressant you would be put on. Most insurances will not cover it.