What are you reading? Would you recommend it?

Options
JenD1066
JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
I just finished "Gone Girl" and I'm feeling the need for something light. "Doctor Sleep" is next up on my Kindle, but I'm just not up to it.

Replies

• BV1980
    BV1980 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading The Opposite of Loneliness. It is a collection of short stories written by Marina Keegan, who was killed in a car accident right after graduating from Yale a couple years ago. Her former professor helped get her work published into this collection that became the book. She was a very talented writer. The stories are short, so it is on the lighter side too.
  • stjanki
    Options
    I listen to game of thrones while walking. I recommend it if you are not fainthearted :)
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The Breathing Series by Rebecca Donovan, a re-read actually :)
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The listopia section of Goodreads is a great place to find good books. Every genre and sub-genera rated by other readers. Five star rating system. http://www.goodreads.com/list
  • Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My favorite book of all time is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I heard recently there is a sequel. I must read it. :smiley:

(Edited: my fingers got ahead of me. )
  • HouseBaelish
    Options
    Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Jury is still out on the recommendation, I'm only 100 pages in, but so far I'm enjoying it!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Gone Girl is my fun read right now and The Dead and Those About to Die is my serious read. I highly recommend the latter for any history nerds, as well as any of the other books by John McManus.
  • brucewayne48910
    brucewayne48910 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Im in the middle of Si-Cology 101 .. humorous light read and written just like the namesake talks
    SiCology1Book.jpg
  • My_Mind_Is_My_Cage
    My_Mind_Is_My_Cage Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    BREATH, EYES, MEMORY as I am teaching it again. read it. It serves as a wonderful exploration of Haitian culture and a testament to the power of change as well as a story of mothers and daughters and those fragile bonds
  • JenD1066
    Options
    I tried Goodreads, but it wouldn't let me log on, and the search function wasn't working!
  • My_Mind_Is_My_Cage
    Options
    The Kama Sutra For Kids. It is an awesome pop up book. Almost got poked in the eye by "The Rising Cobra"
  • JenD1066
    Options
    That is sad on so many levels.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets... It's not bad. Never read the series before, I'm enjoying it far more than I expected.
  • My_Mind_Is_My_Cage
    Options
    Tough crowd! remember to tip your wait staff
  • JenD1066
    Options
    Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Jury is still out on the recommendation, I'm only 100 pages in, but so far I'm enjoying it!

The entire series is fantastic. "Wolves of the Calla" is my favorite.

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    The Tyranny of Cliches - Jonah Goldberg. Should be required reading for High schoolers.
  • naiharvest
    naiharvest Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A Clockwork Orange.
    I've seen the movie before and liked it so I was curious about the book.
    So far so good.
  • MokiLove
    Options
    The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (you know, that pretty fake-leather bound book at Barnes & Noble). I was surprised to find that most of the books are a bunch of short stories instead of full length novels, but nonetheless, they are enjoyable. Except for his overuse of the word "singular" his writing is rich and descriptive and moves quickly.
  • JenD1066
    Options
    MokiLove wrote: »
    Except for his overuse of the word "singular" his writing is rich and descriptive and moves quickly.
    Great! Now the next time I read that, it's really going to bug me!
    I was reading something recently, and the author was overly fond of the word "patina." By the end of the book I was flinching every time I saw it.

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    American Sniper - fun and easy read bonus that there's a movie coming out in December