How do *you* log a holiday meal?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-americas-choice-dinner-rolls-i284300
    americas-choice-dinner-rolls-180515.jpg
    these are the dinner rolls I eat, or something like them in with a different label. they are 100 calories. but then I put butter on them so...yeah.

I HAVE TO HAVE THESE KINDS OF CHEAP AZZ DINNER ROLLS OR IT'S NOT THANKSGIVING!!!

Just in case my husband's reading.

This is how I feel about squirt cheese. I know it's disgusting and not really fit for human consumption, but I must have it on Thanksgiving. Must.
    :flowerforyou: i feel better about my lowbrow thanksgiving tastes now.

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Member of the "I don't even try" club.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be eyeballing as best as I can, but pretty much not stressing over it. I won't bring my food scale with me, but I do plan on eating reasonable portions at dinner so I can save room for pre-dinner snacks, and my Grandma's post dinner chocolate truffle. :)

Nothing extra workouts that week can't fix!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    The 1st year I was already eating less but doing the 1x/week off method. I logged it all and I did eat less than the year before. My 2nd year I had stopped taking days off as I really wanted to live the lifestyle. I ate less because that's just what I do. I logged it all and it was less than 1st year. This will be year #3 and I plan to eat a small dinner and have my slice of pie and glass of wine with dinner.
    At some point that weekend I'll also have some potato chips, some pumpkin bread and holiday creamer in my coffee. If I consume more of the foods I normally don't eat, my body will talk back to me. It has just become natural to eat the way I do. I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything and If I wanted to eat something I just would. I'll log it all.
    I am 18 pounds from my initial goal and I will reach it! Enjoy life!
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'll log, I am going to take a break from achieving a calorie deficit but I do want to keep track of how many calories I am at before Thanksgiving dinner.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am solo on this one...I honestly plan on logging all of my food and portioning it out. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are at my parents' house, so if I have the measuring utensils available I don't see how it's different than measuring out the food any other day of the year. Don't get me wrong, I am going to eat what I want. But I think mainly out of curiosity I want to see what 1/2 cup of yams and 3 oz of turkey and 1 cup of mac and cheese and all the rest look like on my plate.

I will be at my husband's 95yo grandparents' home in a different state. There will be no weighing and measuring. I am keto, so I will eat what fits, leave the rest alone (don't like half of it anyway) and not feel a lack.

Rather than focusing on the food, which is not spectacular anyway, I will focus on the things I am thankful for: my husband, my 4 occasionally wonderful children, the aforementioned grandparents, whom I love as if they were my own (and Grandaddy is visibly failing now) and the fact that we have the means to spend the the time together.

• Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So happy to read all these responses. I was a little worried as well, but figured I would get some good cardio in the morning and guesstimate amounts. Now i may just log it as a high calorie generic day!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't log and don't guess. For me it's a free eating day - but I am back on track on Friday. I do the same thing at Christmas.

20757594.png
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I might log the first 4000.......but not the second or third.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't usually log it either. I just enjoy the one day. I eat normally, enjoy the meal, have dessert. On Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a Christmas party or two. Even on Halloween. And sometimes I go on vacation and don't log, but I probably still stay within my goals (I'm on maintenance).
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Eyeball it and estimate.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Since I'm obsessed with logging daily, I will log what I eat and estimate as best as possible. I also plan to exercise in the morning to help burn some of those calories. Will I eat what I want that day though? ABSOLUTELY! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    It is not the holidays that get you- it is what you do between the holidays that dictates how you fit into your britches.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Just eat small portions and log everything. Yes, I'll go over, but Thanksgiving is only once a year.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    It is not the holidays that get you- it is what you do between the holidays that dictates how you fit into your britches.

I would say that's a fairly accurate statement.

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    If you're the one cooking then you could figure out the nutrition info for the dishes you're making or use labels and weigh it on the food scale. If you're eating out then use the restaurant nutrition info if provided but if you're eating at a family get together then just make a guess and pick something that's the closest in the food database. If you follow MFP calorie wise then you could exercise and gain some more calories to eat.
  • syverasazyn
    Options
    I've a custom entry titled "SIN" -- 1 gallon of who-knows-what, upwards of 3000 kcal. This is for a single holiday meal... :p
  • jtolman619
    jtolman619 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm gonna bother. I'll just do my workout in the morning like usual and enjoy the day, then get right back to it the next day!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I don't bother logging at all.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is about 2000 a day plus with my cal deficit for the week, Ill be ok :) I eat about 1300 a day (for a 2lb loss a week ave).