exercising during TOM

Options
Question for the ladies..During your TOM what exercises do you feel comfortable doing? I don't really get cramps but I often feel very lethargic & sometimes get headaches.I love swimming but worried about *Leaking* even with a tampon.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I walk. My periods are far from heavy and are relatively cramp free though.
  • Katy8967
    Katy8967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've found that jogging helps. I get lethargic and headaches too and just getting out in the fresh air even if its just a short jog or even just a walk really helps... I will admit I avoid doing heavy squats like the plague during TOM. Never had any *accidents* yet but I just know that if its going to happen then during squats is the time :D
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same exercise on my period as I do off of it. I lift and do HIIT, cardio kickboxing, etc. I don't get cramps, headaches, lethargy, etc, so I guess I'm lucky. I hardly notice my period other than the fact that I have to hide tampons in my clothes when I go to the bathroom at work.

I wouldn't worry about leaking in the pool unless you have a shockingly heavy flow. Put the tampon in right before you go and you'll be fine. I don't swim for exercise, but I've been in the pool on my period plenty of times and never had any leakage.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Despite my bad cramps, bloating and headaches, I still take my boxing and bootcamp classes. In terms of swimming, I would personally wait til that time was over.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    308246123961664715896.gif

look, do what ever you do during the "not that time" and just wear dark colors and use maximum protection, now moving on.
  • amy_elise1
    amy_elise1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lift weights.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I just keep doing my normal jogging/strength routines, but then I don't have much cramping and since I have been more active, I don't get that lethargy any more either.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I can't believe we're still talking about this in this day and age. Ride a white horse, sail a boat, go mountain climbing, have tampon adverts taught you nothing? Unless you're in physical discomfort, just keep doing what you usually do.
    Worst case scenario, you learn to get blood out of something.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    My first day is full of cramps and sickness so I don't even get out of bed let alone exercise. By the second day though all the sickness just kind of, disappears into thin air...and then I exercise as normal. My overall preferred exercise is an hour walking.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I ride the recumbent bike. My blood pressure gets really low during my TOM though so I need to be seated or I hit the floor.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I used to be on the swim team in high school. We couldn't just take a week off during our period. I was also a lifeguard for years. Tampons work fine, I've never had a problem. Don't worry about it.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with believing you if you say the tampon might leak. I really sympathise with those of you who have such heavy periods.

(Thank god for a thread where people are talking about periods and actually using the word period)
  • VelcroButt
    VelcroButt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I take the first day off or do something like walking or easy yoga because I'm in pain. After the first day I continue as normal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I force myself to the gym - if it's day 1 or 2 it's really tough because of exhaustion, body weariness and cramping - but feckit, if its a gym day I'm going - and I might not do as well but I'll do better than if I lie on the couch

and you know what - it sometimes helps

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I recently got my period back after having 2 kids and before that, years on the pill. While on the pill, I could just do whatever I did while not on my period. But now that I see what the real thing is? Yow!! I do a light workout on day 1, skip day 2 and 3, then get back to my workout on day 4. Cramps and fatigue and heavy flow are just too much for me, I am unable to workout during the core of it.

I do spinning and pilates, running and other workout videos
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Kitten1391 wrote: »
    Question for the ladies..During your TOM what exercises do you feel comfortable doing? I don't really get cramps but I often feel very lethargic & sometimes get headaches.I love swimming but worried about *Leaking* even with a tampon.

I'm a swimmer. Honest, no kidding, don't sweat it. If you're "leaking" enough for anyone to see it in the pool through a new tampon during a normal workout you need medical treatment quite badly.

(And yes, I did used to have periods that heavy and had to get hormonal treatments, so that's not hyperbole)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My general theory on periods is that they are a normal part of my life as an adult woman. I just get on with life. I don't have time to be out of commission once a month. Now I mostly bike for exercise. In high school, I was on the swim, track, and volleyball teams and practiced and competed through periods many times. I've even been scuba diving on my period.
    Pop a couple of Advil or whatever, put in a new tampon if you're worried about leaking and dive in. I find that making myself do something active puts me in a better frame of mind.

Also I got a divacup.com several years ago and love it. Much more comfortable and very little, if any, leaking. You couldn't pay me to go back to tampons.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I remember I was talking to my mom about this one time and she was like, "You know what helps with the pain? Sex." Ughhhhhhhhh tmi mom, tmi.

:D
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I do my normal routine. There is usually one day of that week that is pretty painful. If it's unbearable, then it becomes my rest day.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Yoga is my jam!