If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Why I eat it:
    Habit
    It tastes good
    It's easy

Why I avoid it:
    I want to be thinner
    I want to be healthier

Big Food will do what they can to make food we want to eat. No shame in that! They also lie about what is in the food, which is shameful. Sticking "0 Trans Fats!" on the label when you know damn well there are trans fats in there is just wrong, even if it is legal. "It's legal!" is not a good excuse for doing the wrong thing.

It is up to us to eat well, though. We have to do what is best for us or suffer the consequences of making poor choices. The only person any of us helps or harms is ourself.

So, the point in arguing about what other people should or shouldn't eat...not sure there is one!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    All that ****ty food activates the pleasure center of the brain, and it triggers addictive tendencies, a lot like cocaine or other hard drugs. Lots of people obviously have a hard time dealing with it and go nuts all the time on it, hence why we're a nation of ticking obese diabetic time bombs.

Food and cocaine (hard drugs) are not comparable.

Yes, they utterly are 100%.

This is an animal study. Human studies have shown very little, if any, evidence this is the case in humans. Furthermore, the neurological effects of sugar and cocaine are quite different in humans.

Yep, that's fine. Because animal studies never reflect possible similar pathways in humans, which is why we stopped doing animal studies YEARS ago.

Oh, wait.

Perhaps I should post some links about the systemic inflammatory effects of refined sugars and grains, and take us into LCHF territory too.

CICO aside, the stuff is just not good for you.

The healthiest and longest living populations in the world eat grains. Can you name any cultures known for longevity that follow LCHF?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Catsheep wrote: »
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

Having a lot of dietary issues, there are a lot of foods I can't eat. I would love to eat them, but if I did, I would suffer pain for days. So I don't. I don't buy into the "it's worth the suffering for a long period of time for a few moments of enjoyment" foolishness. It's just a bite of candy. Don't eat it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail.

I don't eat "trash" or food that makes me feel bad. But I've eaten more than is ideal for health, definitely (and felt less than great afterwards sometimes), and done lots of other things not good for me, despite knowing they aren't good for me.

In a way this is a classic "why do we know the good but do the bad" question, and the answer is that it's something human beings are prone to. The link between what we think we should do and what we want to do or feel compelled to do (often due to habit) is not so perfect that our ideas always govern our impulses. Part of this, I think, is a difficulty of putting long term goals over short term ones in the moment, especially when our will power may be stretched thin on other things, which is why it's better if it's not a matter of always being forced to rely on will power, but forming more helpful habits and making the link between cause and effect more clear.

You are the only one who can answer why, in your case, you do this, but probably it's because in the moment you either forget the unpleasantness or think the pleasure from the foods will be worth it or convince yourself things might be different this time. One question is why the pleasure is so important to you--do you think that eating other foods can't be as pleasurable? Do you not have other foods easily available? Are you compensating for other things that make you feel bad and thus tell yourself you deserve at least this? I think part of changing something is trying to understand what is going on.

Fundamentally it's not that different than "why do I watch TV when I should be working, even though I know I'll be unhappy when I have to work on the weekend/feel guilty, etc." Or whatever other behavioral things you struggle with. Like I said above, it's part of human nature, but something we can work on too.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    As everyone before has said, moderation is the key. I've noticed that now that I've gotten used to eating healthier that when I try to eat like I used to I get sick, and certain "junk" foods I now avoid (like KFC) because they'll make my stomach ache.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    In...for addiction and evil food company conspiracies.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

Dude, you eat trash?
    Your name billy?
    You got horns?

Wow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As everyone before has said, moderation is the key. I've noticed that now that I've gotten used to eating healthier that when I try to eat like I used to I get sick, and certain "junk" foods I now avoid (like KFC) because they'll make my stomach ache.

i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A lot of homeless people don't have a choice. Stop being mean.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Mudler wrote: »
    Moderation is the big word to stick to but there is science to it as well
    Food companies are selling us drugs, sugar and salt.
    They know that they can sell more and more.
    The whole world is getting fat and ill as a result.
    We crave them and we crave foods that contain them

I'm the worst, i love those foods and give me them all the time. I'm trying desperately to break the cycle but struggling and do give in to it occasionally.

Drugs? Really?
    Where can I get a sub laced with coke?

FUD is cool, right? lol, drugs.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »
    A lot of homeless people don't have a choice. Stop being mean.

Especially since they keep arresting the people who are trying to feed them good food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    But my 'We're programmed" point. Apologies to the ones who escaped all the advertising over the years. Nice one, not me, they got me.

When I was a kid, the adverts on TV, never liked them but now 40+ years later I can still remember the taglines...

The only taglines/jingles I recall are for products I don't even use with the exception of some Coke ones. I do drink diet coke sometimes, but the ads have nothing to do with it.

Based on the discussion in the juicing thread, I kind of think you are fooling yourself here. Do you really think you don't like vegetables or don't eat the diet you think you should because you have been tricked by ads? That your taste has been programmed by what you see on TV? Does this affect the other products you use too?

I think there are ways to encourage your taste to change--for example, I find vegetables and fruits more exciting when I focus on seasonality and shop at the green market or get my CSA box and visit the farm they come from. I know that's a little silly but it does affect my thinking. But the fact is that I also just like most vegetables (because I cook them correctly!), and will happily eat broccoli from the supermarket too (as I did this morning).

Rather than us being programmed to like less healthy foods, I think a lot of food companies (for obvious reasons) pick up on tastes humans already like and--even more--the desire for convenience, since there's no way a boxed something or other tastes better than the homemade version, IMO--humans have been making delicious food forever. What's changed is that we have a lot more freedom and a lot more available to us. We can eat whenever we want, whatever we want, and don't have to put in the work if we don't want to. There are no set rules for many people about what a meal should consist of, about food being confined to meal times, etc. Many people eat alone or with others who eat just like them so there's no socially imposed breaks on eating. And on top of all this, even our basic traditions about eating are often based on ideas that come out of a time in which people were far more active and needed more food.
  • MyWitchySelf
    MyWitchySelf Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi. I honestly believe there are plenty of 'additives' intentionally put inside of processed foods, and all types of sugars, too. These additives are put in foods to 'enhance' flavor, and preserve shelf-life, as well. When you buy canned/packaged foods/chips/candy, please read the ingredients/labels. Next, take time to go online, and look-up each ingredient that you cannot pronounce, and you will see all the yucky poison you are eating. Sorry, but most of these things are NOT natural, nor good for you. Then one would wonder just what is making them feel yucky/lousy, or why they are feeling ill/sick. There's your sign. Either avoid these foods, or use moderation. Remember, the government does not care about your health, because that is totally your responsibility...to take good care of yourself and your family/loved ones. Best wishes to everyone.

My thoughts exactly
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Moderation is the big word to stick to but there is science to it as well
    Food companies are selling us drugs, sugar and salt.
    They know that they can sell more and more.
    The whole world is getting fat and ill as a result.
    We crave them and we crave foods that contain them

I'm the worst, i love those foods and give me them all the time. I'm trying desperately to break the cycle but struggling and do give in to it occasionally.

what-would-nancy-reagan-do-justsayno.png
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also feel sick, lethargic, tired, etc after eating junk. Fast food will definitely do this to me but really any heavy or fried food. I try to stay away from it but also struggle with cravings and saying no. I have stopped eating fast food and if I have to - I go for the healthier choices like the wraps on the menu which I love and aren't full of grease.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Must be a full moon tonight the "nuts" are out today, LOL!!! ;)

My tv ad told me to jump off a cliff..... :o
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I feel that a short period of 1-2 months getting the junk out of your system might be beneficial. Then you have a clean slate and give your body a chance to process all the bad stuff out. Then you could incorporate things back in as a once in a while treat. From what you are saying it sounds to me like moderating is a challange and once you start eating junk you keep eating it which is why I think abstaining at least for a while at first might help you get over the hump. It's easy to talk about moderating but harder to actually do it, of course depending on the individual. If we could all moderate food no one would have a weight problem. Personally if I can just not put the piece of candy in my mouth I'm fine, but once I get a taste for it the primal instinct takes over and chances are I'll keep stuffing my face. Perhaps it's a character flaw, but I think it's worthwhile seeing yourself for who you really are and doing the best you can with that. I try to keep junk food out of the house and if I do indulge it's while I'm out (I cook most of our meals at home). I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are not alone in struggling to moderate food so try not to beat yourself up too much because you have problems doing it. Modern processed food is much more addictive than prior generations "comfort food" and is laden with unnatural vegetable oils and exponential amounts of sugar. I can see that most of the other posters on here disagree with me but that's just how I feel.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out of garbage cans. I also don't drink out of toilets so can we just skip that thread too?
  • Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

Wut?