Started Gluten free diet and all the bread are soooooooo fat

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    it's not the bread's fault it's what you put on it and eating too much of it
  • Boogs54
    Boogs54 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant, confirmed by blood tests. I can eat it, but have pretty nasty reactions. There are not many GF products that I enjoy, but corn tortillas and corn pasta are awesome, if you can find them. As far as breakfast, I always go for fruit, especially bananas. Gives me plenty of energy and easy to take on the go.

I'm in the same boat at you. It took YEARS of working with my doctor to figure this out. When I make the decision to eat it, I pay for it. :(
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Boogs54 wrote: »
    I'm gluten intolerant, confirmed by blood tests. I can eat it, but have pretty nasty reactions. There are not many GF products that I enjoy, but corn tortillas and corn pasta are awesome, if you can find them. As far as breakfast, I always go for fruit, especially bananas. Gives me plenty of energy and easy to take on the go.

I'm in the same boat at you. It took YEARS of working with my doctor to figure this out. When I make the decision to eat it, I pay for it. :(

NO! YOU'RE WRONG!

IF YOU DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE CELIAC, YOU CAN GORGE YOURSELF SILLY WITH NO EFFECTS. DIDN'T YOU SEE THE OTHER COMMENT ABOVE?

Ahem.

Actually, I'm in the same boat. Even a bite will give me stomach problems and acne, of all things.

I just cut out the whole grain shebang. Don't even miss it.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Eliminating gluten is not just for Celiacs. Don't eat the pre-packaged foods if they bother you.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    You'll need to learn to replace your usual intake of bread with other non-bread things. Gluten free items are expensive and they have a lot more calories than the same portion size of "regular" bread. (or so I've found, personally.)

Try things like scrambled eggs or quinoa porridge for breakfast. Make a baked potato, sweet potato, bowl of quinoa, or rice instead of whatever bread item you typically eat at dinner, etc. Basically try to make meals that are naturally gluten free (like chicken, bone-in ham, potatoes, beans, etc.)

You'll also want GF bread on hand for those days that you're just craving a PB&J sandwich.

I haven't found a good alternative for pasta quite yet so I just buy the gluten free stuff.

All the best to you!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I avoid breads, flour and gluten free, but I use Gluten Free Pastas. I enjoy the flavor of brown rice noodles.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lili200 wrote: »
    Strange! I have udi, I remember it is much more calories ( should check!) also hard to find whole grain!
    And of course: no more beer...

You can actually buy GF beer! It's stinkin' expensive, but it's out there. :smile:

Also, I've found All But Gluten is about the best for GF breads. I didn't care for Udi's. Also, if you're baking, try out recipes that include bananas or zucchini as they'll make the bread more moist.

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what to say about your original question, but I noticed the lament for lost beer. Do you like hard cider? It's naturally gluten-free, so it's a safe pub option.
  • mercijourney
    mercijourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We love Udi's, and just discovered Aldi's GF sandwhich wraps. I do not like "wraps" per se, but these made excellet burritos!
  • pgrobb
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant. I have very adverse reactions to gluten. There are other reasons to go gluten free besides Celiac disease. If you actually read up on gluten it is so modified in today's industry it is not really good for anyone. A loaf of bread that won't mold or get old has so many preservatives in it there is no way it's good for you. Educate yourself before you judge.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    So you were diagnosed with Celiac disease? That's the only reason to go gluten-free.

What she says [/quote] I agree

• khoddy
    khoddy Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think we can all agree that GF is more controversial than it may seem. It is true that GF is really only necessary for celiac's and those who are allergic. However, if you feel better not eating wheat and gluten containing products--- go for it! Personally, I like to base my dietary choices on peer reviewed literature (no... blogs don't count). However, I have recently discovered that eliminating both gluten products and dairy make me feel a lot better (improved complexion, less gas, regular bowel movements). I posted a before and after picture of my cheek after 12 days. Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of carbohydrate choices w/o bread (or gasp! even GF bread). Fruits and vegetables have a tremendous amount of health benefits! Additionally, people may experience weight loss when going gluten free quite simply b/c it's an incredibly restrictive diet and they consequently need to put a lot more thought into what they eat. In all, do what is best for your health. If you are going to experiment with a specialized diet (especially if it is restrictive), seek advice from a registered dietitian (go to www.eatright.org to find one in your area) for assistance.

rxgjfhulqfe0.jpg

sb3r1poeycu5.jpg

• tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Jeez if someone wants to go gluten free even for *kitten* and giggles then they should go right ahead! Honestly, it's not going to do any harm is it? The question isn't "Please give unsolicited advice on my diet" but "What should I have for breakfast?". As to that question, I went wild for chocolate banana quinoa a while back http://greatist.com/eat/recipes/chocolate-banana-breakfast-quinoa but I suppose it isn't particularly portable. I would say eggs, eggs all over the place. I bought the UDIs bagels once, they were alreet but yeah expensive. I'm not GF personally so can't be much help, just felt like judging the judgers!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac, and am also lactose intolerant and can't have corn syrup either. Udi's has some good products, but overall I just don't eat a lot of bread anymore. I get the udi's multi grain bread if I do want the occasional sandwich, and for tacos I just use corn hardshells. many gluten-free products are just as high in calories and fat as their gluten counter parts, so you just still have to count them as you would have before. As others have said, just make your own, I have done that with some success. usually tastes better than any of the commercial items and you know for sure what is going into it so you will be safe.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    GF is not just for Celiacs, there are some health benefits to eliminating some gluten from you diet. OP, I suggest making your own breads if you like, they are so much better than the store bought stuff. You can eat a lot of different things, anything made from rice flour or potato flour or vegetable flours. Early morning grits are good, or I like to scramble eggs with rice and have with salsa, sounds weird but tastes amazing. It is something I learned living in Japan for a year where they have rice with every meal. Skillet potatoes cooked with extra virgin olive oil, season to taste with eggs.
  • jay8anks
    jay8anks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great place to log calories. The message board is a horrible place to ask for advice on eating healthy. This is the crap you get if you do:

1) Define healthy!
    2) Food is fuel, a calorie is a calorie
    3) Eating good foods is a way for people to feel superior

All of these arguments don't stand up to anyone with a bit of intelligence, however.

Response:

1) Define healthy. OK Bill Clinton, we all know what *is* means. We all know what healthy means. If you think nobody knows what is really healthy, then why do people change their diet after their first stroke or heart attack??? Because deep down, you know some of the crap we eat is not healthy.

2) Food is simply fuel and a calorie is just a calorie. False. If food were only a fuel, then there would have never been horrible deficency diseases like pellagra . Pellagra is caused by having too little niacin or tryptophan in the diet, and hundreds of thousands of people died from it here in the United States. The truth is that foods are a nutrition delivery system, not just fuel, and some foods have more nutrition than other foods.

3) Eating good foods is a way for people to feel superior. Yeah, some people like to eat crap and make themselves feel better by berating those that are trying to better themselves.

What do we get from eating the SAD (Standard American Diet)?

In some parts of the US, life expectancy is lower than in Nicaragua and some other third-world countries. People in The U.S. now ranks 39th and 40th out of 187 countries for life expectancy for males and females respectively. [1]

-- Many Hispanic immigrants who relocate to the United States face much higher cancer rates than those in the country they left behind.
    Cancer can be 40 percent more common for Hispanics after they immigrate [to the United States].

-- The risk of cancers common in Western countries is higher for Korean Americans than for their native counterparts.

-- Breast cancer among Chinese women who have been in the U.S. for more than 10 years is 80% higher than their newly arrived peers.

-- Studies of Indian immigrants in Western societies indicate that rates of cancer and other chronic diseases, such as coronary heart
    disease and diabetes, increase dramatically after a generation in the adopted country. Change of diet is among the factors that may be
    responsible for the changing disease rates.

-- A team of researchers at West Virginia University has shown that U.S. immigrants from India and Pakistan take on the habits of their
    adopted country, increasing their risks of prostate cancer among male immigrants and breast cancer among females.

Eat Like An American, Die Like An American!

1. http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy/life-expectancy-in-some-u-s-counties-is-no-better-than-in-the-third-world-20130710
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Chex now makes gluten free oatmeal, both instant and quick oats. Try Walmart or Amazon for these. You can use the quick oats in this recipe http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001991442,00.html for pancakes. There is also a variety of cold cereals that are gluten free.

Personally, my attempts to make gluten free bread have not gone well, except for quick breads. I find I can substitute any gluten free flour or combination of flours in a one-to-one ratio for the flour in any quick bread recipe and it comes out fine. Use the recipe builder on MFP to figure out how many calories per slice, if you cut the bread into 12 slices, then tell MFP that its twelve servings.

For on the go, I either eat Fine bars or Inbar protein bars, both which can be found on Amazon.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    edited November 2014
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    So you were diagnosed with Celiac disease? That's the only reason to go gluten-free.

What she says
    I agree

Meh, more people have a gluten sensitivity than we know. With all the pasteurizing and sterilization of foods, our bodies have less healthy bacteria in them, coupled with enriching of wheat flours. I don't have celiacs and I'm gluten free and I can tell you that when I consume gluten (who doesn't need a slice of pizza every now and then) I can feel it. Mood changes, extreme fatigue, joint pain.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you do go gluten free, make sure to take gluten free supplements that provide Riboflavin, niacin, and Vitamin B12.