If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

If it's not chicken, what is it then?

1315599295_Chicken-of-the-Sea-Coupon.jpg
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Catsheep wrote: »
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

There is ONE answer.

This "junk food", from either fast food or grocery stores, is ENGINEERED to ADDICT us. They alter the genetic make up of the food by adding chemicals to it, that have been tested and proven in labs to be ADDICTIVE. They make it to have a long shelf life by adding more chemicals so they don't lose profit there, also.

We need rehab from this, like any other drug. When natural sugars get extracted and become such a highly concentrated substance (with the added chemicals) and added to our food, it then begins to share the same destructive and addictive qualities as cocaine...

Cocaine is a highly concentrated and EXTRACTED (by man) form of coca which comes from the coca PLANT, which is addictive and destructive. In it's NATURAL FORM however, it is safe and used for a healthy, medicinal tea. Sugar is much the same. It is safe in it's NATURAL form; fruits, carbs from veggies, etc. When man gets in the way of our food, for purposes of the almighty dollar, then all we can do is stay away because it very quickly destroys us. It costs more money, make us feel worse, we get fat, look terrible PLUS we are passing our unhealthy habits on to the next generation. What about moderation? I don't know. Could you do cocaine in moderation? :neutral_face:

We are dying MUCH TOO EARLY from all of the degenerative diseases that are caused by the BLATENT lack of nutrition (we can read the labels) and the chemically riddled "food", with the constant bombardment of it EVERYWHERE we go. They even market to our kids, which is an outrage!

Just stay away from it. Wean yourself off. Find healthy, natural alternatives. What you feed, grows and what you starves, dies.

Hope this makes sense and helps some people!!! Hubby has type 2 diabetes and we've done tons of research on how to reverse it, which is what we are doing now. I've also lost almost 70lbs in under a year. I love nutrition and have learned so much valuable information! I really feel like we need more of it in our lives, to be able to live better lives. :)

Comparing sugar to cocaine is ridiculous and probably quite offensive to people who actually have real drug problems.

Plenty of people can eat refined sugar in moderation. Plenty of people can do this without health problems.

Your fear mongering and preaching of food avoidance is more harmful than sugar for those who buy into the idea that they need to completely abstain from perfectly fine foods.

I did have drug problem 15 years ago, a multiple drug use problem and it's not offensive to me.. I have come through it though and have become a better person for it. If you are offended, you are simply not healed yet and I apologize.

Sure you can do it in moderation, if you are healthy all around - Good self control, discipline and no current, serious health conditions.

No fear mongering here, I am simply educated about it and not willing to have my family participate in daily junk food consumption. I love them, I care for people and I just want others to be able to enjoy their life like I am finally starting to.

Congrats on kicking your addiction.....But maybe you need more education on food.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

1315599295_Chicken-of-the-Sea-Coupon.jpg

Newlyweds flashbacks, anyone?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My 16 yr old son just made some cinnamon rolls, mmmmmmm, sugar!!! >:)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

They just don't get it, lol...

Get what?

^^^Can we get an answer to this? If a chicken breast or chicken strips from KFC aren't chicken (ingredient list begs to differ), then what is it?
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

There is ONE answer.

This "junk food", from either fast food or grocery stores, is ENGINEERED to ADDICT us. They alter the genetic make up of the food by adding chemicals to it, that have been tested and proven in labs to be ADDICTIVE. They make it to have a long shelf life by adding more chemicals so they don't lose profit there, also.

We need rehab from this, like any other drug. When natural sugars get extracted and become such a highly concentrated substance (with the added chemicals) and added to our food, it then begins to share the same destructive and addictive qualities as cocaine...

Cocaine is a highly concentrated and EXTRACTED (by man) form of coca which comes from the coca PLANT, which is addictive and destructive. In it's NATURAL FORM however, it is safe and used for a healthy, medicinal tea. Sugar is much the same. It is safe in it's NATURAL form; fruits, carbs from veggies, etc. When man gets in the way of our food, for purposes of the almighty dollar, then all we can do is stay away because it very quickly destroys us. It costs more money, make us feel worse, we get fat, look terrible PLUS we are passing our unhealthy habits on to the next generation. What about moderation? I don't know. Could you do cocaine in moderation? :neutral_face:

We are dying MUCH TOO EARLY from all of the degenerative diseases that are caused by the BLATENT lack of nutrition (we can read the labels) and the chemically riddled "food", with the constant bombardment of it EVERYWHERE we go. They even market to our kids, which is an outrage!

Just stay away from it. Wean yourself off. Find healthy, natural alternatives. What you feed, grows and what you starves, dies.

Hope this makes sense and helps some people!!! Hubby has type 2 diabetes and we've done tons of research on how to reverse it, which is what we are doing now. I've also lost almost 70lbs in under a year. I love nutrition and have learned so much valuable information! I really feel like we need more of it in our lives, to be able to live better lives. :)

Comparing sugar to cocaine is ridiculous and probably quite offensive to people who actually have real drug problems.

Plenty of people can eat refined sugar in moderation. Plenty of people can do this without health problems.

Your fear mongering and preaching of food avoidance is more harmful than sugar for those who buy into the idea that they need to completely abstain from perfectly fine foods.

I did have drug problem 15 years ago, a multiple drug use problem and it's not offensive to me.. I have come through it though and have become a better person for it. If you are offended, you are simply not healed yet and I apologize.

Sure you can do it in moderation, if you are healthy all around - Good self control, discipline and no current, serious health conditions.

No fear mongering here, I am simply educated about it and not willing to have my family participate in daily junk food consumption. I love them, I care for people and I just want others to be able to enjoy their life like I am finally starting to.

Congrats on kicking your addiction.....But maybe you need more education on food.

Perhaps, we all do. :wink:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    My 16 yr old just made some cinnamon rolls, mmmmmmm, sugar!!! >:)

Pictures or it didn't happen oh and bring me one
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This "junk food", from either fast food or grocery stores, is ENGINEERED to ADDICT us.

You realize it's highly varied, right? That the specific tastes and chemicals in McD's fries, say, is not identical to those in, I dunno, an Oreo?

Also, I'd like some real evidence that a McD's burger (which in my opinion is not even particularly tasty, it just happens to be super convenient based on McD's own marketing strategy, and lots of people find the fatty salty fries extremely palatable) is somehow more "addictive" (by which you mean pleasurable to humans, which is not really what addiction is) than, say, a perfectly cooked steak with buttery mashed potatoes. Because I know which I'd pick, and it doesn't have ads with some guy named Ronald.

Or, similarly, is an Oreo really harder to resist than grandma's apple pie? Not for me. I could take or leave Oreos, but I love a really delicious baked good as much as anyone. The difference is that if I want to eat a delicious baked good I have to go to a bakery and invest in that or, even more to the point, bake it myself, which is a lot of work. That's why I don't eat tons of apple pie (well, that and self-restraint), not because Oreos somehow are harder to resist.
    We need rehab from this, like any other drug.

Uh, okay. What are these drugs we need rehab from? I just want to know so I can pick the right rehab program and tell my doctor.
    When natural sugars get extracted and become such a highly concentrated substance (with the added chemicals) and added to our food, it then begins to share the same destructive and addictive qualities as cocaine...

What does this even mean? What specific products are you referring to? If you mean the usual nonsense about the evil sugar in pasta sauce (although you shouldn't buy jarred pasta sauce if you care about taste at all) or bread or the like, maybe think about how much is actually in there. You can't claim it's some super concentrated amount when there's less in a serving than in a serving of carrots. Also, as SideSteel pointed out, if people are so addicted to sugar, why does no one start spooning it out of the jar?

It's not addiction. It's convenience and possibly not training your palate to enjoy properly cooked whole foods (which often happens when parents give in to their children's pickiness, IMO, which seems to happen much more today than when I was a kid /old fogey).

I guess this is enough to start with.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

There is ONE answer.

As someone who has dealt with a personal drug issue, as well as dealt with an alcoholic ex, thank you for this <3

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    MjAxMy0zODVlMmJkZmVhZDIxOWVl.png
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Kentucky Fried Chicken decided to change its name to KFC in 1991 for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with governmental regulations about mutant animals:

• A move to de-emphasize "chicken" because KFC planned to offer a varied menu that included other types of food. (The Boston Chicken corporation took the same approach for the same reason, changing the name of its retail food outlets to Boston Market.)

• A desire to eliminate the word "fried," which had negative connotations to the increasingly health-conscious consumer market.

• A trend towards the abbreviation of long commercial titles as demonstrated by other companies' employing shortened forms of their names, such as The International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and Howard Johnson's (HoJo).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Get what?

The great chicken conspiracy of 2014.... obviously!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Get what?

The great chicken conspiracy of 2014.... obviously!

So then, are the bisquits really bisquits? Do the snozeberries taste like snozeberries?
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Get what?

^^^Can we get an answer to this?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Get what?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".

So they're lying on their website?

Edit: Lolz at addictive chemical chicken.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Get what?

I don't think it tastes better than the chicken I roast in my oven. I'm also perfectly capable of having a piece of KFC and leaving it at just one piece. And I still like my chicken better. So, addictive chemicals? Not buying it.

ETA: I think the "addictive" part is the convenience. People are addicted to their own laziness.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Get what?

Wooooo more fear mongering *kitten*
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    tumblr_my37km8xVA1rzfa3ao5_r1_500.gif
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

But isn't that the point though?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Moderation: the avoidance of excess or extremes, especially in one's behavior.

exactly. I don't deny myself anything, but I also don't eat the entire half-gallon of ice cream in one sitting.