If eating trash makes us sick, why do we keep eating it?

Options

Replies

• GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Catsheep wrote: »
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

There is ONE answer.

This "junk food", from either fast food or grocery stores, is ENGINEERED to ADDICT us. They alter the genetic make up of the food by adding chemicals to it, that have been tested and proven in labs to be ADDICTIVE. They make it to have a long shelf life by adding more chemicals so they don't lose profit there, also.

We need rehab from this, like any other drug. When natural sugars get extracted and become such a highly concentrated substance (with the added chemicals) and added to our food, it then begins to share the same destructive and addictive qualities as cocaine...

Cocaine is a highly concentrated and EXTRACTED (by man) form of coca which comes from the coca PLANT, which is addictive and destructive. In it's NATURAL FORM however, it is safe and used for a healthy, medicinal tea. Sugar is much the same. It is safe in it's NATURAL form; fruits, carbs from veggies, etc. When man gets in the way of our food, for purposes of the almighty dollar, then all we can do is stay away because it very quickly destroys us. It costs more money, make us feel worse, we get fat, look terrible PLUS we are passing our unhealthy habits on to the next generation. What about moderation? I don't know. Could you do cocaine in moderation? :neutral_face:

We are dying MUCH TOO EARLY from all of the degenerative diseases that are caused by the BLATENT lack of nutrition (we can read the labels) and the chemically riddled "food", with the constant bombardment of it EVERYWHERE we go. They even market to our kids, which is an outrage!

Just stay away from it. Wean yourself off. Find healthy, natural alternatives. What you feed, grows and what you starves, dies.

Hope this makes sense and helps some people!!! Hubby has type 2 diabetes and we've done tons of research on how to reverse it, which is what we are doing now. I've also lost almost 70lbs in under a year. I love nutrition and have learned so much valuable information! I really feel like we need more of it in our lives, to be able to live better lives. :)

Comparing sugar to cocaine is ridiculous and probably quite offensive to people who actually have real drug problems.

Plenty of people can eat refined sugar in moderation. Plenty of people can do this without health problems.

Your fear mongering and preaching of food avoidance is more harmful than sugar for those who buy into the idea that they need to completely abstain from perfectly fine foods.

I did have drug problem 15 years ago, a multiple drug use problem and it's not offensive to me.. I have come through it though and have become a better person for it. If you are offended, you are simply not healed yet and I apologize.

Sure you can do it in moderation, if you are healthy all around - Good self control, discipline and no current, serious health conditions.

No fear mongering here, I am simply educated about it and not willing to have my family participate in daily junk food consumption. I love them, I care for people and I just want others to be able to enjoy their life like I am finally starting to.

It may not be offensive to you, but it is to others.

Also, do you always make such sweeping assumptions? However, I tend to lean on the fact that you were possibly just being bitchy as the wording was pretty obvious that he was not talking about himself. Or, maybe you just did not apply appropriate reading comprehension. I'll go with the latter, as I would hate to think it was the former.

And, not educating - total fear mongering. Whackadoodle fear mongering in fact.

I should've worded it differently, I'm sorry. I wasn't responding to him personally, I was speaking in general terms.

Still offensive even if you were not addressing him.

Hence, my multiple apologies... I'm sorry (again, pls accept and move on) if my ill worded post offended anyone. Was not my intention. I meant "GENERALLY" speaking.
  • theskipper54
    theskipper54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I generally eat junk food if I'm 'down' about something or in a hurry to get to a meeting, etc. So it becomes an easy substitute for healthy and functional nutrition.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    dp1228 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »
    Moderation is the big word to stick to but there is science to it as well
    Food companies are selling us drugs, sugar and salt.
    They know that they can sell more and more.
    The whole world is getting fat and ill as a result.
    We crave them and we crave foods that contain them

I'm the worst, i love those foods and give me them all the time. I'm trying desperately to break the cycle but struggling and do give in to it occasionally.

No. People get fat and ill because they don't pay attention to what they're eating, are largely ignorant of their calorie limits and nutritional needs, and lack the personal accountability to ensure they don't go massively overboard.

Until people stop blaming external factors and accept that it's their own problem then things will not change.

Exactly this. Obesity is on the rise because people eat too much and move too little, and at the end of the day the decision to do that is made by you. It's very easy to make a villain out of the convenience food providers and producers, but at the end of the day you are the one making yourself fat. Not them.

I'm sorry but I call BS. You cannot fit obesity into a neat small little box. Sorry to break it to some of you guys, but for MANY people external factors ARE to blame. Individual responsibility is a part of it, but you are naïve if you think external factors don't play a major part. Every heard of food deserts? Places where access to nutritionally rich food is limited or nonexistent? Ever think about areas where there ARE no places for people to get out and "move" because it's too dangerous? They can't afford a fancy gym membership either. Ever think about people who are NOT educated and do not know any better about how to really eat properly? Ever think about sway that cultural values have over many people that lead them to truly believe that bigger is better and healthy?

The problem I have with MFP is that a lot of us have the luxury to take charge of our health and yes, in those cases we should know better and do better (even though I have to point out that we ALL know that junk food has an addictive quality to it and triggers our dopamine reward system). But, the world is a big place. Saying obesity is on the rise because people eat too much and move too little does NOT apply to everyone.
    Let me just say that IF this were the case entirely, then inmates in penitentiaries should be obese.
    They DON'T get nutritionally rich foods. Nor do they live in "safe" areas. They don't have gyms (most penitentiaries have removed weights). Many inmates have very average intelligence.
    So why are so many thin and some very fit? Well because their calorie intake is basically restricted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

....and Bingo was his name-o.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    catsheep has 4 posts and hasn't replied to this one since posting the thread. Sorry but I think all of you have been trolled.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

If it's not chicken, what is it then?

They just don't get it, lol...

Get what?

^^^Can we get an answer to this?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".

If you think KFC tastes better than all other chicken, you're either delusional or just sheltered. KFC is pretty trashy frankly. It's quick, it's somewhat inexpensive, but it's far from fine dining. Try a freshly harvested chicken prepared by a real chef... there's no comparison.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    So I have been having this thought quite frequently lately. I eat a bunch of junk (ie. fast food, candy, sweets, fried foods, etc.) and I feel really crappy afterwards. I feel sick to my stomach and lethargic and I swear that I will make sure that I don't feel this way ever again because it is so horrid. But then comes the next day and it's back to the desire of having all the junk again despite the knowledge of what the result will entail. So how does one break this cycle? I truly have a desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle but I feel like I am self sabotaging and trying to fulfill my subconscious self prophecy that I will fail. What are y'alls thoughts on this subject? If you have had any experiences dealing with this issue I'd love to hear about it.

There is ONE answer.

This "junk food", from either fast food or grocery stores, is ENGINEERED to ADDICT us. They alter the genetic make up of the food by adding chemicals to it, that have been tested and proven in labs to be ADDICTIVE. They make it to have a long shelf life by adding more chemicals so they don't lose profit there, also.

We need rehab from this, like any other drug. When natural sugars get extracted and become such a highly concentrated substance (with the added chemicals) and added to our food, it then begins to share the same destructive and addictive qualities as cocaine...

Cocaine is a highly concentrated and EXTRACTED (by man) form of coca which comes from the coca PLANT, which is addictive and destructive. In it's NATURAL FORM however, it is safe and used for a healthy, medicinal tea. Sugar is much the same. It is safe in it's NATURAL form; fruits, carbs from veggies, etc. When man gets in the way of our food, for purposes of the almighty dollar, then all we can do is stay away because it very quickly destroys us. It costs more money, make us feel worse, we get fat, look terrible PLUS we are passing our unhealthy habits on to the next generation. What about moderation? I don't know. Could you do cocaine in moderation? :neutral_face:

We are dying MUCH TOO EARLY from all of the degenerative diseases that are caused by the BLATENT lack of nutrition (we can read the labels) and the chemically riddled "food", with the constant bombardment of it EVERYWHERE we go. They even market to our kids, which is an outrage!

Just stay away from it. Wean yourself off. Find healthy, natural alternatives. What you feed, grows and what you starves, dies.

Hope this makes sense and helps some people!!! Hubby has type 2 diabetes and we've done tons of research on how to reverse it, which is what we are doing now. I've also lost almost 70lbs in under a year. I love nutrition and have learned so much valuable information! I really feel like we need more of it in our lives, to be able to live better lives. :)

Comparing sugar to cocaine is ridiculous and probably quite offensive to people who actually have real drug problems.

Plenty of people can eat refined sugar in moderation. Plenty of people can do this without health problems.

Your fear mongering and preaching of food avoidance is more harmful than sugar for those who buy into the idea that they need to completely abstain from perfectly fine foods.

I did have drug problem 15 years ago, a multiple drug use problem and it's not offensive to me.. I have come through it though and have become a better person for it. If you are offended, you are simply not healed yet and I apologize.

Sure you can do it in moderation, if you are healthy all around - Good self control, discipline and no current, serious health conditions.

No fear mongering here, I am simply educated about it and not willing to have my family participate in daily junk food consumption. I love them, I care for people and I just want others to be able to enjoy their life like I am finally starting to.

It may not be offensive to you, but it is to others.

Also, do you always make such sweeping assumptions? However, I tend to lean on the fact that you were possibly just being bitchy as the wording was pretty obvious that he was not talking about himself. Or, maybe you just did not apply appropriate reading comprehension. I'll go with the latter, as I would hate to think it was the former.

And, not educating - total fear mongering. Whackadoodle fear mongering in fact.

I should've worded it differently, I'm sorry. I wasn't responding to him personally, I was speaking in general terms.

Still offensive even if you were not addressing him.

Hence, my multiple apologies... I'm sorry (again, pls accept and move on) if my ill worded post offended anyone. Was not my intention. I meant "GENERALLY" speaking.

Only saw one. And you are still not getting my point - you say sorry, but you still say you meant it generally. So, its not really an apology.
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    Options
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    Options
    catsheep has 4 posts and hasn't replied to this one since posting the thread. Sorry but I think all of you have been trolled.

Was thinking that BUT if he is for real, it was worth my time if it made a difference for him or anyone else. If not, I'll never truly know! :smiley:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

So, as a nurse I can tell you that the body is actually addicted to gluten and carbs. Much like a drug addiction, it is very difficult to retrain your body to live without the strong cravings for such junk foods. And yes, the food companies count on the addiction to junk food to continue to make their sales. Even though you personally feel sick after eating such food, your body still craves it. It is a vicious cycle that is really difficult to break. I am still struggling with it myself.

Don't give up! :smile: Just cut out a little each and every day and eventually you will find that your body is not craving it nearly as often. Eventually, you will reach the point where the cravings only happen once in a great while.

You should give your nurses degree back then....It can't be real.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's not all about what you can see. Being buff, skinny, fit, obese, chubby doesn't matter. It's about what's happening on the inside of your body that you can't see. Hubby was 140lbs and 5'7" when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago. Who knew! Kids are going into emergency rooms getting diagnosed with type 2 but look otherwise perfectly healthy!

Good luck in your ventures, guys! I wish you all the best and I hope the OP will have a chance to read what has been said and try it for himself, if he is truly seeking understanding and health improvement. :):heart:

Again, just no concept of moderation.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I'm the worst, i love those foods and give me them all the time. I'm trying desperately to break the cycle but struggling and do give in to it occasionally.

No. People get fat and ill because they don't pay attention to what they're eating, are largely ignorant of their calorie limits and nutritional needs, and lack the personal accountability to ensure they don't go massively overboard.

Until people stop blaming external factors and accept that it's their own problem then things will not change.

Exactly this. Obesity is on the rise because people eat too much and move too little, and at the end of the day the decision to do that is made by you. It's very easy to make a villain out of the convenience food providers and producers, but at the end of the day you are the one making yourself fat. Not them.

I'm sorry but I call BS. You cannot fit obesity into a neat small little box. Sorry to break it to some of you guys, but for MANY people external factors ARE to blame. Individual responsibility is a part of it, but you are naïve if you think external factors don't play a major part. Every heard of food deserts? Places where access to nutritionally rich food is limited or nonexistent? Ever think about areas where there ARE no places for people to get out and "move" because it's too dangerous? They can't afford a fancy gym membership either. Ever think about people who are NOT educated and do not know any better about how to really eat properly? Ever think about sway that cultural values have over many people that lead them to truly believe that bigger is better and healthy?

The problem I have with MFP is that a lot of us have the luxury to take charge of our health and yes, in those cases we should know better and do better (even though I have to point out that we ALL know that junk food has an addictive quality to it and triggers our dopamine reward system). But, the world is a big place. Saying obesity is on the rise because people eat too much and move too little does NOT apply to everyone.
    Let me just say that IF this were the case entirely, then inmates in penitentiaries should be obese.
    They DON'T get nutritionally rich foods. Nor do they live in "safe" areas. They don't have gyms (most penitentiaries have removed weights). Many inmates have very average intelligence.
    So why are so many thin and some very fit? Well because their calorie intake is basically restricted.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What I said is not the case entirely at all. I in no way meant to make a sweeping generalization. But it is one of the realities that many people face. Restriction of calorie intake DOES work. But, like I've mentioned I believe there are other factors that play a part as well. In my field, I have come across people in poorer communities that will tell me that they eat very healthy and that they don't eat much. They truly believe this. Then when we start dissecting their day to day nutrition, they are shocked to realize just how many calories they have been eating, just how much sodium is in their food etc. etc. etc. They were simply not aware. They ate what they had available to them and they thought they were making good/okay choices.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Was thinking that BUT if he is for real, it was worth my time if it made a difference for him or anyone else. If not, I'll never truly know! :smiley:

You didn't give any relevant scientific facts, you only posted fearmongering personal beliefs.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

That's called *kitten* happens. One of the healthiest guys I've known in my life was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He was an avid cyclist, big into local produce and health before it became "cool" to buy organic, never smoked, never drank, and yet he died around the age of 50. No matter what you eat or don't eat, there are no guarantees in life. The best you can do is enjoy yourself and try to minimize your risk of illness.

But you're delusional if you think you'll be immune from cancer, diabetes and the like just because you avoid processed foods and gluten. Then again though, some people need to delude themselves because the reality is a bit too harsh, so maybe that's not a bad thing.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Can I bring booze into this?

That has made me well sick in the past, yet you will pry the gin bottle from my cold, dead fingers. (You really will....)

We still keep going back for more there, don't we?
  • TJR88
    TJR88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not really a fair comparison. In your scenario, their calories are restricted for them. They don't have to use willpower to limit their portions or educate themselves about calories and nutrition to figure out appropriate portion sizes.

In the scenario that dp1228 is referring to getting the education and the willpower to reduce portion sizes can be incredibly challenging. Particularly in a context where food might be a big part of how they cope with living in difficult circumstances, nobody else is educated on the matter and nobody else really cares about reducing their portion sizes.

Very few people will beat the odds to lose weight in those circumstances on their own, it might be simple logistically to do so but its incredibly difficult practically without changing the environment.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    i LOVE KFC... MMMMM greasy chickeny goodness!!!!

I love it as well but the coating is probably one of the worst things you can eat and the Chicken isn't chicken.
    It's an approximation of what we used to think was chicken.
    Certainly bares no resemblance to those feather coved birds that run around laying eggs all the time.

Hence the reason for it not being called Kentucky Fried Chicken anymore

If it's not chicken, what is it then?

They just don't get it, lol...

Get what?

^^^Can we get an answer to this?

Get the fact that it is no longer real chicken (like the real one clucking, laying eggs..) because it has been processed, filled with preservatives and addictive chemicals to the point that it tastes different (better). It's more common and convenient now to eat KFC than it is to go out and "get the chicken ready for dinner!".

If you think KFC tastes better than all other chicken, you're either delusional or just sheltered. KFC is pretty trashy frankly. It's quick, it's somewhat inexpensive, but it's far from fine dining. Try a freshly harvested chicken prepared by a real chef... there's no comparison.

Now that you mention it, the best fried chicken I've personally had resides about an hour west of the metro in a tiny café that resides between nowhere and the sticks. Must get the same chemical chicken I guess.

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My brother gained weight in prison in spite of the food, chiefly because beforehand he was always consuming evil trash substances that acted just like drugs on the body. And it wasn't McDonalds.

• meganbmorsillo
    meganbmorsillo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Now that I eat clean foods (90/10 ratio of good to bad), I have noticed that I enjoy the cleaner foods better...I even make healthy options at home of treats I enjoyed when I didn't eat clean. My taste buds have "awakened" in a way, because I don't go for the bad options, or I find that they don't taste good to me anymore.

1. What everyone says about moderation...do that. I think there is plenty of answers here regarding that.
    2. It takes 21 days to build a habit, so the sooner you start- the better you will feel.
    3. Find healthy or healthier options for the junk you are eating. (E.G.- I make hot chocolates from scratch with unsweetened cacao powder and a teeny bit of sugar with cinnamon, nutmeg...etc)
    4. Take responsibility for yourself and accountable for your success/failure. Eating healthier/Losing weight/Building muscle...etc does not come overnight. Building habits to last a lifetime take continuous improvement...as Dory would say..."Just keep swimming"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What I said is not the case entirely at all. I in no way meant to make a sweeping generalization. But it is one of the realities that many people face. Restriction of calorie intake DOES work. But, like I've mentioned I believe there are other factors that play a part as well. In my field, I have come across people in poorer communities that will tell me that they eat very healthy and that they don't eat much. They truly believe this. Then when we start dissecting their day to day nutrition, they are shocked to realize just how many calories they have been eating, just how much sodium is in their food etc. etc. etc. They were simply not aware. They ate what they had available to them and they thought they were making good/okay choices.
    But this happens in middle class communities too. People that can afford to pay me for sessions (and it ain't cheap) thought they were eating great, making good choices, yet were making the same exact mistakes as you mentioned above.
    There's really no way to sugar coat the truth. And the truth is that people are overweight or obese because of over consumption. 65% of the US in this position either don't care to track or are oblivious to how many calories they really are eating. Health issues aside, you can take ANYONE, reduce their calories by just 200 calories a day from their TDEE and they will lose weight. Wanting to do that is a totally different story.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Poor food, poor health, poor diet is killing more people than Cocaine

But my 'We're programmed" point. Apologies to the ones who escaped all the advertising over the years. Nice one, not me, they got me.

When I was a kid, the adverts on TV, never liked them but now 40+ years later I can still remember the taglines...

Think how fortunate our kids are nowadays that they can just fast forward through the commercials thanks to DVRs. Children today will not be manipulated by advertising and thus will never have to be "programmed" to choose unhealthy options. They will be so much healthier in the long run!!! /sarcasm

Apparently people's parents didn't parent ...

I saw those commercials and wanted those foods. Sometimes I got them, in moderation. My parents actually used the word no, though.