Kim K's butt

Does anyone else think Kim K's photo was about race and sexual exploitation...or what is it simply art?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited November 2014
    I think it was more about someone with a notoriously large butt who got famous for being a rich attention *kitten* and needs to feed her addiction combined with a relatively unknown company that was happy to accommodate her for their own publicity.

Still not sure what all the fuss is about though. She already has a full xxx rated video out there. It ain't like Taylor Swift decided to drop trousers or anything. This is old territory being repackaged.

OP, I can see and agree with the thought process of sexual exploitation because, frankly, that is how she makes her money.

I am having trouble seeing the argument about it revolving around race though. That logic is a bit fuzzy to me. Care to expand?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    I don't think it has anything at all to do with race or sexual exploitation. I think it is about an attention monger and marketing.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    I think the Kardashians need to be thrown in an active volcano. They drive me crazy. Seriously their dad was a crazy awesome lawyer, but that's the only talent anyone in the family had. Unless talent is being able to be dramatic about ANYTHING then they have it coming out the wazoo.

I also agree, I don't think it has anything to do with race or sexual exploitation. I mean Kim sexually exploits herself daily, so this isn't anything new. She's just wanting attention. I'm glad she isn't my mom. I think if I was North and grew up and found out what my mom did to get famous and kept doing to keep in the public eye, I'd be embarassed.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I think it was about the spotlight being elsewhere for 5 minutes, so she dropped trou.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Wait. . race?. . why would a picture of Kim K be about race!? . . *confused by this question. .
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Nope!! Just Kim doing something outrageous to be in the spotlight again.

Personally, I wish most of that family would just retire to a remote island and we would never hear from them again. They can take Kanye with them too!!

Agree with other posters. Why would this about race?
  • HollyMGT
    HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
    Kim is just a disgusting, self-centered, self-absorbed, self-worshipping pig. Sure she's pretty but that's about all she's got going for her. And her butt, it's so stinkin' big! There's nothing sexy about that butt.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    It is all about attention.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2014
    I'm also confused about this attention *kitten*'s latest silly stunt having anything to do with race. Quite the stretch there.

There is nothing that woman would not for money or attention, so I don't see the sexual exploitation either. She is very eager to do whatever it takes for attention, and sadly many people are willing to give it to her.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    The problem is she is not black no matter how "black" obsessed the photographer might be
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Wow, that's a huge stretch to try and play the race card. Not buying it.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    I really hate how everything is racial nowadays. Some things legitimately are racial and need to be dealt with correctly, but people now try to make everything about race. Its getting to the point that if every thing is "racially motivated" people are going to stop caring and the stuff that needs to be fixed won't get fixed.
  • misslazo718
    misslazo718 Posts: 124 Member
    I don't think everything is racist nowadays just the stories that we see sensationalized in the media. It has a lot to do with the fact that people think because we are in 2014 that racism doesn't exist but it definitely does. I honestly can't blame a group of people with such a racially charged history filled with violence and degradation to not see images like Kim K's photo spread and have it remind them of their ancestry.

"Centuries ago, a Black women named Sarah “Saartijie” Baartman (her last name boasted many variations), spent majority of her life being mocked and subjected to forms of sexual abuse due to her enlarged buttocks. She was known as the Hottentot Venus from Namibia and was forced to parade around as the freak of nature she was deemed to be. Not so funny now – is it? Kim Kardashian’s attempt at something artfully radical is actually a pathetic representation of a time when being a Black woman with an obviously generous derriere was used as a tool to once again downgrade her worth as a human being."
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Once again, this situation is a huge stretch to play the race card on. Save it for something legit, of which there are numerous examples.
  • misslazo718
    It's really not that far considering the photographer's previous work was entitled "Jungle Fever" and he used black models instead. Also, I don't get what you mean when you say the race card because no one is saying that this is racist or calling Kim racist or anyone else, they are simply making a connection between the images.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I don't think everything is racist nowadays just the stories that we see sensationalized in the media. It has a lot to do with the fact that people think because we are in 2014 that racism doesn't exist but it definitely does. I honestly can't blame a group of people with such a racially charged history filled with violence and degradation to not see images like Kim K's photo spread and have it remind them of their ancestry.

"Centuries ago, a Black women named Sarah “Saartijie” Baartman (her last name boasted many variations), spent majority of her life being mocked and subjected to forms of sexual abuse due to her enlarged buttocks. She was known as the Hottentot Venus from Namibia and was forced to parade around as the freak of nature she was deemed to be. Not so funny now – is it? Kim Kardashian’s attempt at something artfully radical is actually a pathetic representation of a time when being a Black woman with an obviously generous derriere was used as a tool to once again downgrade her worth as a human being."

Thanks. I know racism still exists, but I don't know much about a lot of history so sometimes I need more information to grasp how something could be perceived as racist.
  • misslazo718
    People also are also notorious for seeing things that aren't there. There has to be something more than just someone trying to get attention, right? Nope. That's all it is.

I'm sure this was just something that Kim did for attention and a large sum of money.If you read the articles that are surfacing about the relation to the racial implications, most of them are saying she probably had no idea about what other thoughts this imagery could conjure up in certain communities but just because it was not her intent doesn't mean that people who are familiar with the history of the images she recreated are not going to talk about it.