Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie just as a gallon of gas is a gallon of gas

Bingo.

This is why all cars and trucks get the same MPG's in the USA. :)

A calorie is a calorie when outside of the body but when it goes into the body the brain and related hormones, etc will decide what that calorie will do, where it will go and how efficient it may do that.

Please link us to where you are getting that from. So different bodies do different things with calories from protein?

I have before and you did not appreciate it so you please link us to the evidence that you have that supports your OPINION. :)

You know and understand two cars that left the factory the same day end to end off of the same line with identical specs may not get the same MPG 5, 10, or 15 years down the road.

We all know weight gain or loss is not just a mathematical equation because we are biological beings who are not totally the same on the inside. Our stress level, hours of sleeping, etc impacts what a calorie may do after it is ingested therefore it could be folly giving dieting advice by the web even if you are licenced to do so.

There is science behind what happens to a calorie after ingested. Please do not harm those who come here blindly looking for help. I understand that is not often the case but there may be a few that do not realize the risk of coming to the web and asking medical advice.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Bingo.

A calorie is a calorie when outside of the body but when it goes into the body the brain and related hormones, etc will decide what that calorie will do, where it will go and how efficient it may do that.

Please link us to where you are getting that from. So different bodies do different things with calories from protein?

I have before and you did not appreciate it so you please link us to the evidence that you have that supports your OPINION. :)

You know and understand two cars that left the factory the same day end to end off of the same line with identical specs may not get the same MPG 5, 10, or 15 years down the road.

We all know weight gain or loss is not just a mathematical equation because we are biological beings who are not totally the same on the inside. Our stress level, hours of sleeping, etc impacts what a calorie may do after it is ingested therefore it could be folly giving dieting advice by the web even if you are licenced to do so.

There is science behind what happens to a calorie after ingested. Please do not harm those who come here blindly looking for help. I understand that is not often the case but there may be a few that do not realize the risk of coming to the web and asking medical advice.

And please do not go around spreading false information. You are the only one who is causing harm by doing so.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Eat what you want. Eat at a deficit. Enjoy food and enjoy life.

Honestly. I eat healthy most meals, but sometimes I want a snack or treat and I eat it without guilt. It fits into my daily calorie goal and that's that.

If you want cake, eat cake. If you want a carrot, eat a carrot. End of story. You will see results if you eat at a deficit.

thanks

muffinsandcakes this site raised the same questions in my mind. After reading The Calorie Myth by JB this week I got a better understanding. Not sure I agree with him on all points but I do appreciate his 12 years of researching scientific studies on dieting. I did not know about the role of hormones to lose weight and keep it off for the next forty years. There are enough reviews to get peoples pros and cons and some info.

barnesandnoble.com/w/the-calorie-myth-jonathan-bailor/1116537829?ean=9780062267337

there you go again …posting pseudo science….

ndj if you read the end notes in the book you would quickly realize the level of your pseudo post. A man working at Microsoft who spent 12 years researching The Calorie Myth on his own time could be wrong but when you take the time to stop typing and start reading you will see the work he quotes is in no way pseudo science.

Do not get your self in trouble making public statements about a book you have not read in case you are put on a witness stand to support you demeaning public remark about the author's work and those whom he quotes.
    Lol, what? Trouble by who?

That is was in the post you quoted.

The author is going to sue NDJ for defamation?

OOoooooo! Where are the forum police when you need them?
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to just eat my 1400 calories of awful food and lose weight about half a kilo a week. Recently I've been clean eating on 1500 calories and I feel FANTASTIC! I lost 2 kilos in the first week. I sleep better and I have more energy
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Bingo.

And please do not go around spreading false information. You are the only one who is causing harm by doing so.

Am I misunderstanding? People do have different metabolic rates, water retention, and other things that can interfere with weight loss. My weight loss isn't linear and doesn't follow a formula exactly. Most people state something about unless you have health issues before giving advice. I thought that was because there may be certain dietary considerations or weight loss issues that don't fit most people.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Do not get your self in legal trouble making public statements about a book you have not read in case you are put on a witness stand to support you demeaning public remark about the author's work and those whom he quotes.

tumblr_mxf3o8F5Xz1rziwwco1_500.gif

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

Bingo.

Am I misunderstanding? People do have different metabolic rates, water retention, and other things that can interfere with weight loss. My weight loss isn't linear and doesn't follow a formula exactly. Most people state something about unless you have health issues before giving advice. I thought that was because there may be certain dietary considerations or weight loss issues that don't fit most people.

That's not what I am talking about…… I'm talking about the fact that he goes around telling people they can lose or maintain their weight if they eat low carb and only eat protein and fat. He believes a person can eat however many calories from protein and fat and not gain weight. That's simply untrue.
  • lorib642
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

Bingo.

That's not what I am talking about…… I'm talking about the fact that he goes around telling people they can lose or maintain their weight if they eat low carb and only eat protein and fat. He believes a person can eat however many calories from protein and fat and not gain weight. That's simply untrue.

Thanks, I thought I was missing something
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I used to just eat my 1400 calories of awful food and lose weight about half a kilo a week. Recently I've been clean eating on 1500 calories and I feel FANTASTIC! I lost 2 kilos in the first week. I sleep better and I have more energy

You will lose water weight when you eat whole foods because of the decreased sodium. Also, if you cook everything from scratch and weigh your ingredients, your tracking will be more accurate. That does not mean that you are actually eating more and losing more at the same time.
  • spineline
    Options
    Calories are NOT calories. Body metabolizes caloric sources differently. Can make a big difference in fat metabolism and total body energy expenditure
  • lorib642
    Options
    spineline wrote: »
    Calories are NOT calories. Body metabolizes caloric sources differently. Can make a big difference in fat metabolism and total body energy expenditure

I'll bite. Interesting second post. How is a calorie not a calorie?
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Exactly.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

then what are they then if they are not calories?
  • Original_Beauty
    Options
    In the most basic terms, all calories are created equal. A calorie is simply a unit for measuring energy. But the way in which the body uses those calories is what accounts for different weight loss results. The origin of a calorie determines how the body digests and stores that energy. For example, the body uses calories from protein to help maintain and repair muscles, organs and tissues. Carbohydrates are a major energy source for the body, while fats both help protect organs and help with the absorption of important vitamins. All three nutrients are essential, but the body metabolizes them very differently.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    In the most basic terms, all calories are created equal. A calorie is simply a unit for measuring energy. But the way in which the body uses those calories is what accounts for different weight loss results. The origin of a calorie determines how the body digests and stores that energy. For example, the body uses calories from protein to help maintain and repair muscles, organs and tissues. Carbohydrates are a major energy source for the body, while fats both help protect organs and help with the absorption of important vitamins. All three nutrients are essential, but the body metabolizes them very differently.

So, are you saying that, while eating exactly the same number of calories, if I change my macro percentages, I'll lose different amounts of weight?
  • Original_Beauty
    Options
    gol0sn1wbi0y.jpg
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    One of these days someone will do the experiment of two groups at the same calorie amount, one group with junk food and the other group with 'healthy' food.