Belly fat help

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    shanzd wrote: »
    if MFP said 1460 and you are aiming for 1200 then you have a 260 calorie deficit. If you add exercise into that and you don't 'eat back the calories you have burnt' then that's great. One day at a time. It really is 80% diet.

No. That 1460 is already at a deficit, and MFP is designed to eat back calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I really wish people would read some threads or just do some research before they answer/try to help people on their first post.
  • thornborrow193
    Options
    I am lost.
    So I use 1460 and eat 1460 but them I burn 200 calls so really I only ate 1260? Do I eat back the 200 I used?

I have a hard time getting to 1200 cals, with the smarter food choices but I don't want to fill up on empty calories just to eat.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I am lost.
    So I use 1460 and eat 1460 but them I burn 200 calls so really I only ate 1260? Do I eat back the 200 I used?

I have a hard time getting to 1200 cals, with the smarter food choices but I don't want to fill up on empty calories just to eat.

Yes. That's it. MFP will subtract it for you when you put in your exercise, so the app will always tell you how much more you have to eat. You say 1200 calories is hard, but are you weighing everything on a food scale? 1200 is not much at all.
  • thornborrow193
    Options
    No I don't have a scale.
  • Joline1207
    Joline1207 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Green tea! Read the benefits. One of the top ones is loss of belly fat. I drink at least three cups a day. It has actually replaced coffee for me. And yes...I have lost belly fat (among other fat!).
  • arditarose
    Options
    No I don't have a scale.

You need to get one. And not listen to the post about green tea.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    No I don't have a scale.

Yes. Scale.

Green tea is tasty, but it's not magic.
  • arditarose
    Options
    No I don't have a scale.

Yes. Scale.

Green tea is tasty, but it's not magic.

Yes, lovely drink.
  • coasterphile
    coasterphile Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calories are quality calories. Record what you eat on this app, and look to make sure you are getting ideal amounts of protein, not just carbs. When you eat to many carbs for your body to use, your body stores these. The first place it generally shows up is the belly, hence a belly fat problem. Go with lean proteins and lots of veg! There are 3 types of calories. Carbs, proteins, and fats. Get a good, proper balance of them. The MFP app guides you to the proper numbers.
  • arditarose
    Options
    This thread is attracting some interesting things. What is happening?! Is it the internet broken?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    This thread is attracting some interesting things. What is happening?! Is it the internet broken?

I needed something to eat my popcorn with anyhow.
  • arditarose
    Options

I needed something to eat my popcorn with anyhow.

Right? Too bad I just finished my evening snack.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just want to reinforce what others have said as well as throw some encouragement your way. Up until recently, I honestly thought the only way to get my pregnancy pooch gone was surgery. I have had 2 C-sections and truly believed that exercise would only go so far. I think it was seriously last week I realized - it's GONE. I don't need surgery. It really was about eating less, moving more, and getting really close to my weight loss goal (I'm just a pound away at this point).

I know if can be discouraging if you've got a ways to go - but take things slow and steady, incorporate weight training and cardio for fat burn and yes, eat a deficit and be patient. Did I mention patience? ;) Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I am lost.

Start with the food scale first. You'll see how much an actual serving is and be amazed.

For eating to 1460, calorie dense foods do the trick. Peanut butter is 200-250 calories for a serving, if you aren't allergic. Any kind of nuts, avocados, full fat dairy will help you out.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calories are quality calories. Record what you eat on this app, and look to make sure you are getting ideal amounts of protein, not just carbs. When you eat to many carbs for your body to use, your body stores these. The first place it generally shows up is the belly, hence a belly fat problem. Go with lean proteins and lots of veg! There are 3 types of calories. Carbs, proteins, and fats. Get a good, proper balance of them. The MFP app guides you to the proper numbers.

She is in a cal deficit, she could eat all her cals as carbs and not store fat, because by definition she is still taking in less cals than her body is using!

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I can attest that weight loss comes with associated reduction of belly poochiness. Yey!! B)

Use MyFitnessPal (MFP) to log calories consumed (food) and calories burned (exercise). If you set your activity level to Sedentary, log any intentional exercise. I don't log every step with a FitBit, although some do. I eat back most of my exercise calories, but not all. Example: When MFP says I have 1250 cals. today and I burn 200 cals. through exercise, I can consume 1250+200 or 1450 cals. and still lose at my desired rate (.5-1 lb. per week). So far, it's working! Some days I go a bit over (yes, it's true), some days a bit under. I find this evens out.

How to Change your Goals: Click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. MFP will give you good information on how many calories you should eat each day to safely lose weight. You can lose weight without feeling like you are starving all the time. I promise! Good luck! :)

Direct Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

19507081.png
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    MFP said 1460, I am aiming for 1200

So eat 1460 and eat back what you burn in exercise. That's how MFP works
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I think GD&WL is leaking woo. Gods there is some nonsense in this thread :)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    According to Wikipedia and NCBI, studies have shown that consumption of dairy and fruit is associated with better waist-hip ratios (i.e. less belly fat). Also, dieters given two servings of whole-grain ready-to-eat oat cereal had greater waist reductions than dieters not given the whole-grain cereal, even though weight loss was the same for both groups. Overall conclusions: dairy (with fat), fruit, and whole grains lead to less belly fat; white bread, fast food, soda, and red meat lead to more.