Toning booty?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone as any info on sharing how to tone your booty with the elliptical. Its my new love.. Anyone willing to share their successful intervals on losing fat and again.. toning the butt? Thanks for the support everyone!.(:

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    eh - elliptical is a cardio machine.

a defined booty comes from the barbell :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    "Toning" is a combination of losing body fat (calorie deficit) while retaining/growing muscle (strength training).

The elliptical is fine for burning calories and improving heart and lung health but the resistance level is probably not enough to provide the strength component you are looking for.

Hip thrusts, lunges, squats, dead lifts are what are lacking. Start with body weight and increase the weight as you get stronger.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    "Toning" is a combination of losing body fat (calorie deficit) while retaining/growing muscle (strength training).

The elliptical is fine for burning calories and improving heart and lung health but the resistance level is probably not enough to provide the strength component you are looking for.

Hip thrusts, lunges, squats, dead lifts are what are lacking. Start with body weight and increase the weight as you get stronger.

^^this
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

Pretty much.

Or you could start with a good full body program like Stronglifts5x5 or Starting Strength. Strong core and arms are also good.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    How to use the elliptical to shape your booty...

Use it as a 5 to 10 minute warm up before lifting :smiley:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    iAmberrock wrote: »
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone as any info on sharing how to tone your booty with the elliptical. Its my new love.. Anyone willing to share their successful intervals on losing fat and again.. toning the butt? Thanks for the support everyone!.(:

I attach the elliptical to a cable, and do cable pull throughs dragging it until my *kitten* is made of steel.

serious.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    I would have to disagree with many of the above posts. I have always used the elliptical for cardio/slash muscle toning for my legs. I just set the grade to maximum, increase the resistance to a high level (currently 14) and then do intervals. It can be done. I do it because I have bad knees and really can't do low squats and lunges. It's worked for me.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Now toning of the butt is all about fat loss as your glutes are generally a pretty big muscle group. Do some cable kickbacks, hip thrusts while squeezing your glutes to tone but to build up muscle in that are (for size) you have to go heavy.
  • dbmata
    toning is what middle aged women who are naive about physical things call weight loss and minor muscle.

Elliptical is cardio, I personally think it's junk, but it's not going to "tone". You "tone" by using the muscle in load bearing movements.

glutes? GHDs, PC work, heavy hip thrusts while staring people down.

That's how you build an *kitten* that Minaj would approve.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    I would have to disagree with many of the above posts. I have always used the elliptical for cardio/slash muscle toning for my legs. I just set the grade to maximum, increase the resistance to a high level (currently 14) and then do intervals. It can be done. I do it because I have bad knees and really can't do low squats and lunges. It's worked for me.

"Having bad knees" as an excuse to not do squats and lunges is a HUGE misconception many people have. Look into it. These exercises can be some of the best as far as strengthening and improving your knees!
  • dbmata

"Having bad knees" as an excuse to not do squats and lunges is a HUGE misconception many people have. Look into it. These exercises can be some of the best as far as strengthening and improving your knees!

Yup. Damaged my knee in april, rehab plan has been lunges, squats, and crying.
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    roxylola wrote: »
    How to use the elliptical to shape your booty...

Use it as a 5 to 10 minute warm up before lifting :smiley:

^^Absolutely this, heavy lifting and squats, squats and more squats, with some lunges thrown in, even better if you are carrying kettlebells.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

Yup. Damaged my knee in april, rehab plan has been lunges, squats, and crying.

I'll second this as well. I apparently have "bad knees" - Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or "runner's knee" as it is commonly referred to as. I avoided these types of exercises to avoid any pain, and to not make it any worse (as I thought at the time), but over time it got worse anyway.

Now I do pilates, yoga, squats (regular, chair, sumo ... ), lunges (forward, back, side, raised ...), dead lifts, ect. and the pain is virtually non-existent! I rarely have an issue, and when it does arise, it is never to the intensity that it once was. :)

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    HIp thrusts... with weight plates... tons of reps... and stairs... or a step... with weights in hand... BUT... no pun intended... make sure you balance out the butt work with over all work or you create an imbalance that will lead to injuries
  • dbmata
    The great Saint has spoken.
    So it shall be.

bb453wa-w232h232z1-59833-squats-for-jesus.jpg
  • shalak14
    shalak14 Posts: 42 Member
    I started doing the 30 day squat challenge it has defiantly helped. I do love the elliptical though.
  • iAmberrock
    iAmberrock Posts: 38 Member
    I have one more question, I'm not sure what it is called, but the machine that simulates walking up stairs. Would that help? I'm gonna try the weight lifting and squats for sure!
  • yoovie
    dbmata wrote: »

I attach the elliptical to a cable, and do cable pull throughs dragging it until my *kitten* is made of steel.

serious.

there is pretty much no better answer than this.

• dbmata
    I have one more question, I'm not sure what it is called, but the machine that simulates walking up stairs. Would that help? I'm gonna try the weight lifting and squats for sure!
    Stair stepper. With good form it's a good tool for conditioning. Really though, it's stairs. Now, take a backpack with 70# in it and go for a while and that might do something beneficial, or not.

You are sounding like you want to focus on hypertrophy though, and there is really one way to do that. Move weight.
  • yoovie

this is the truth. It changed my life.

I used to wake up and find that 4 or 5 days a week, my hips were so bad (old car accident injuries) that I had to really take my time becoming mobile.

Now I usually bounce out of bed into my sneakers and take off.

i know that lifting weights helped my legs become not only strong enough to correct some of the problems I'd had, but also to give those same legs some beautiful definition and abilities.