To Keto, Or Not To Keto: That is the question.

Replies

• miamouse3
    miamouse3 Posts: 73 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    I do keto. And have done many other diets. What distinguishes keto from other diets are a couple things. It causes your body to burn ketones for fuel instead of glycogen. It often helps with insulin response and in other ways with other medical conditions. It often helps some people with carb cravings, even to the point of eliminating them for some. It forces portion control for those with serious moderation issues. I have chronic fatigue with some pain and it has helped with that tremendously. The nature of the foods cause you to be satisfied with less food.

How is it not different? You are still required to keep a calorie deficit. All weight loss requires calorie deficit.

I have found personally that I lose weight faster with keto (though that might be because it is easier for me to sustain and to eat fewer calories). I have more energy. The joint pain is gone. My pervasive depression, not helped by meds, is gone. My chronic fatigue is diminished, and I don't want starchy carbs any more.

I suggest you have a look at the Keto group here and browse through the old posts. You will probably find many answers there. You can even join and ask us questions. You could lurk around the Keto Redditt site. They have a great FAQ.

Keto isn't for everyone. But if you like eating the foods allowed, then it may help you. And don't mind less carbs, which you said is fine with you. I would suggest reading up and then, if it seems doable, try it for a month. If after that time, there are no improvements, do something else, regular low-carb or go back to only calorie counting.

I'm very happy with it. I've lost 63lbs, exercise, and feel great. But after the first few weeks, you do have to watch your calories. As you lose, your body requires less to run, as you know, so to continue losing you have to watch the deficit. But I don't find it all that hard as the foods are filling.

Good luck. :smile:

Thank you so much, the information you gave me is great and exactly the experiences I was looking for. I will look for the keto group here, and I found the Reddit board! It is awesome :D!

Wow, congratulations and good job on your loss! That is awesome! And absolutely, I will update my tracker with *hopefully* loss so I know how to change my calories as needed. Do you know if doing the weight checkins and etc will autoupdate it? I haven't had a significant loss to know.

And that is something appealing to me, actually feeling satisfied with what I eat. I love dairy and I was eating very little of it, and it was disappointing and the way I was eating I never felt full or satisfied.

I like the sound of how it affected your issues, thats something I am interested in. I read about the possibility that with LCHF diets epilepsy patients experienced less seizures and etc as they would on depakote, and bipolar and epilepsy are managed with the same meds.

Thank you, and I hope you keep having such great progress :) I really appreciate your help.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    miamouse3 wrote: »
    Go talk to your doctor. You have medical conditions that need to be managed properly and not by a bunch of people online. We are not qualified to help you manage your illnesses.

Hey sweet pea, I don't want you to play my Doctor. I asked about KETO. My stats are on there only for the purpose of anyone who has similar issues and have tried keto, so if they see or comment they could possibly post information specific to it. Thanks for being a redundant jackwagon.

Lulz, because you said you can't lose in a deficit someone gave you the advice to see a Dr, and this is how you come back to them....

Probably because she has already specified in her original post that she knew she needed to see a doctor and will when she can. She is looking for other people's experience with keto not for advice on how to manage her medical conditions.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Go talk to your doctor. You have medical conditions that need to be managed properly and not by a bunch of people online. We are not qualified to help you manage your illnesses.

Hey sweet pea, I don't want you to play my Doctor. I asked about KETO. My stats are on there only for the purpose of anyone who has similar issues and have tried keto, so if they see or comment they could possibly post information specific to it. Thanks for being a redundant jackwagon.

Lulz, because you said you can't lose in a deficit someone gave you the advice to see a Dr, and this is how you come back to them....

Probably because she has already specified in her original post that she knew she needed to see a doctor and will when she can. She is looking for other people's experience with keto not for advice on how to manage her medical conditions.

That does not excuse talking to individuals in the way that OP did.....or at least that's what I was told in her OP.
  • I do great on Keto, I find it hard to sustain anything but Keto.
  • miamouse3
    djcrillz wrote: »
    My Personal Experience:

I'm on a keto diet (in my case, target is <40 net gms carbs per day, protein <95 g) per my doctor's recommendation to treat migraines. I experienced an almost immediate reduction in migraine symptoms. I'm not bipolar (as far as I know) so I can't speak to that, but it certainly seems help calm my "excitable" migraine brain.

In terms of weight loss, in my experience, it is MUCH easier for me to stay in a caloric deficit. I can go longer between meals and I tend to eat less at a sitting. I'm assuming it's because I feel full most of the time from eating high fat/protein and my energy levels are more stable because I no longer rely on carbs to maintain my energy level. I sometimes have to force myself to eat before bed to get to my BMR, and it's very easy to stay within my calorie goal. There are plenty of diets that will put you in a caloric deficit of course, but personally, this just makes it nearly effortless for me.

I have to say, the idea of eating nothing but fatty stuff all day grosses me out, so I try to avoid processed foods or artificial sweeteners, and include at least 2 1/2 cups of low-carb/high fiber veggies per day to make sure I'm getting those nutrients. And I do eat small quantities of fruit as well. However, my carb limit is higher than some other folks that do keto, so it may depend on where you set your limit and how your body reacts.

I definitely don't think this diet is for everyone since it fairly restrictive, but it kills two birds for me (migraines and weight loss) so it's worth it for me. Fortunately, I have found it relatively easy to stick to. However, day 3, I had a bout of nasty muscle cramps at night (watch those elecrolytes in the beginning!!). Since then I have added sodium and potassium to my MFP goals and I try to choose foods high in magnesium. This seems to have corrected the problem but it was extremely unpleasant at the time.

It helps your migraines?? I really would love if it helped with my migraines. I can't take NSAIDs anymore, so I've lately just accepted my fate that migraines would be a regular part of my life. I kind of will be interested to see if it helps that for me.

I am glad to keep hearing positive results in effort and satisfaction on it. Thats part of what I hate about how I have been eating. Its like I never feel full, so I have a nagging stomach until the next time I eat. I might start out carb conscious rather than a full dive in, I am still not sure. I did recently hear about Keto flu and the electrolyte stuff, luckily I will be set on that. I haven't started yet, I want to go shopping first to have what I need so I don't feel tempted to fall back on old eating habits.

Thank you!!!! :)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member

I'm glad to see that you missed the point. A+ on the name calling though.
  • miamouse3
    I once tried Atkins (another LCHF diet plan) as a means of weight loss about a year ago (I was around your age and stats at the time), and it failed to work for me. I struggled to lose even 9 pounds in a three month period, and it was incredibly discouraging. Later, I read some interesting scientific studies online that indicated there are two types of people in the world: those whose genes "program" them to lose weight and function better on a high-fat, low-carb diet, and those who lose weight and function better on a high-carb, low-fat diet. Do I necessarily believe that we can break the entire world down to who can process fat and carbs better than others? No. But the science behind the study had merit, and LCHF diets typically promote "clean," healthy foods in their most natural state, and by that I mean, the foods you eat on those plans haven't been put through the ringer, where the processing plants have removed all their nutrients and vitamins. Low-fat diets, on the other hand, often promote highly processed, "franken-food" that your body truly has no idea how to properly digest and store.

In short, the only sure-fire way for you to know if Keto/LCHF works for you or not is to try it! And like you mentioned previously, it really can't hurt, because the worst that could happen is that it fails to work. You seem to have done your research and know what the plans all entail, so give it a whirl before you go see your doctor!! And when you get there, maybe he/she will be better able to assist you with your weight loss journey. Good luck, and best wishes!!

Thank you, and I have never heard of that I think I will go look for some reading on that. And the concept behind that is interesting, if keto works it could explain why old methods haven't worked for me.

Thank you, I appreciate that :). And right, can't know unless I try and I really have nothing to lose. Maybe when I do see a doctor, if its worked it will help clarify things, if it hasn't, we can try to *hopefully* figure out the issue and find a solution.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member

Well, since we are not medical professionals we should not be giving advice to someone who has serious medical conditions that need to be handled carefully.
  • I'm doing Keto right now and loving it! It's not for everyone but it's safe and very helpful for many. Here is a great documentary recently released on Keto. http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4126228.htm
  • miamouse3
    How are you measuring your calories burned? If you don't already have a Fitbit, Jawbone or some other device I would suggest getting one. I think people tend to believe they are burning more than they are. For example, a friend of mine put her activity level at lightly active....then she would google calories burned by housecleaning and actually enter that as an exercise. I think the lightly active category would already include "house cleaning" and she add house cleaning as an exercise. Not sure I can offer Keto advice, I have tried it, couldn't stick to it. My success came from tracking everything and getting a Fitbit.

I often feel discouraged in regards to tracking my exercise because of the lack of accurate tracking methods, I was told by my trainer that getting a polar heart rate monitor would be advisable. I need one either way because of my heart defect, and its the most accurate brand. I am saving up to get one. At the moment, I put in my stats on the machines and use what they say I am burning, but I try to leave room for error. I then log that in my notebook and use it to continue from there. I don't double on exercise like adding housecleaning with an already active lifestyle, thats something I already took into account when setting up my stuff. I only count when I use the cardio machines.
  • PS. I have a total of about 45 lbs to lose and 25 lbs has come off the first 2 months with no ill side effects. In fact, this is the first time I've lost weight so quickly and effortlessly. I've struggled with midsection obesity, PCOS, gestational diabetes, thyroid removal, and gallbladder surgery and feel amazing now. I have energy, no mid-afternoon slump and am not struggling to stay in my recommended macros. (I use a keto calculator, weigh/measure everything, and try to stick to my recommended macros). It is about creating a calorie deficit but my hormones are behaving so much more nicely when I am not carbing it up!
  • melissawilson21
    melissawilson21 Posts: 74 Member
    Hello. I am currently trying a low carb/moderate protein/high fat diet. My carb rate has been trending down day by day as I am weaning myself down to atleast 25-50 carbs a day versus like 600 carbs a day which is where I once was. In the last few days, I can tell a difference in my body already, not weight wise but as far as energy goes and I am losing water weight which is another sign my carb intake is trending down because of the water weight decreasing. I read that carbs make you retain water more. Anyways.. I think the keto diet will work for me. I have PCOS, if I look at pasta or anything with a high amount of carbs, I think I gain 20 pounds. When I was younger and lived with my dad, I lived on a high protein and fat diet basically without knowing it, I rarely ate carbs and I was a healthy skinny then. Over the years, getting married, being a mother and convenience of fast food and fast food meals in the grocery store, i have put weight on. I believe if I eliminate processed foods and go more paleo-keto I will see a difference in how quick I can lose weight versus counting calories which I tried but did not work for me. Before trying the low carb, I was working out everyday for 2 months and did not shed hardly anything at all. I think maybe if I pair low carb with a good workout I will definitely see results! I think keto or even paleo-keto works great for me but it is certainly not made for everyone.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    I do keto. And have done many other diets. What distinguishes keto from other diets are a couple things. It causes your body to burn ketones for fuel instead of glycogen. It often helps with insulin response and in other ways with other medical conditions. It often helps some people with carb cravings, even to the point of eliminating them for some. It forces portion control for those with serious moderation issues. I have chronic fatigue with some pain and it has helped with that tremendously. The nature of the foods cause you to be satisfied with less food.

How is it not different? You are still required to keep a calorie deficit. All weight loss requires calorie deficit.

I have found personally that I lose weight faster with keto (though that might be because it is easier for me to sustain and to eat fewer calories). I have more energy. The joint pain is gone. My pervasive depression, not helped by meds, is gone. My chronic fatigue is diminished, and I don't want starchy carbs any more.

I suggest you have a look at the Keto group here and browse through the old posts. You will probably find many answers there. You can even join and ask us questions. You could lurk around the Keto Redditt site. They have a great FAQ.

Keto isn't for everyone. But if you like eating the foods allowed, then it may help you. And don't mind less carbs, which you said is fine with you. I would suggest reading up and then, if it seems doable, try it for a month. If after that time, there are no improvements, do something else, regular low-carb or go back to only calorie counting.

I'm very happy with it. I've lost 63lbs, exercise, and feel great. But after the first few weeks, you do have to watch your calories. As you lose, your body requires less to run, as you know, so to continue losing you have to watch the deficit. But I don't find it all that hard as the foods are filling.

Good luck. :smile:

Thank you so much, the information you gave me is great and exactly the experiences I was looking for. I will look for the keto group here, and I found the Reddit board! It is awesome :D!

Wow, congratulations and good job on your loss! That is awesome! And absolutely, I will update my tracker with *hopefully* loss so I know how to change my calories as needed. Do you know if doing the weight checkins and etc will autoupdate it? I haven't had a significant loss to know.

And that is something appealing to me, actually feeling satisfied with what I eat. I love dairy and I was eating very little of it, and it was disappointing and the way I was eating I never felt full or satisfied.

I like the sound of how it affected your issues, thats something I am interested in. I read about the possibility that with LCHF diets epilepsy patients experienced less seizures and etc as they would on depakote, and bipolar and epilepsy are managed with the same meds.

Thank you, and I hope you keep having such great progress :) I really appreciate your help.

I'm just glad to be helpful. MFP used to urge you to update every 10lbs or so to recalculate. I haven't had a reminder in awhile so I'll hang in for a few more pounds. So yes, you'll want to recalc every 10lbs or so.

Antidepressants gave me mania, did nothing for the depression, and left me with ADD after I stopped taking them! Thanks loads! I have to take ginko biloba daily and use post-it notes... :angry: Keto has helped clear the fog a lot. I'm NOT a space cadet any more, just occasionally a little scattered. Especially when there is too much input/stimulus going on at once.

I hope you find what works. :)
  • blktngldhrt

Well, since we are not medical professionals we should not be giving advice to someone who has serious medical conditions that need to be handled carefully.

Again, She asked about personal experiences with keto. She did not ask anyone to manage her health conditions. She mentioned the conditions in case someone else here had similar issues.

Not that it matters but as far as I know... people with Bicuspid Aortic Heart Defect need to keep their blood pressure low and eat a diet that will help with cholesterol and overall heart health.. Which crazily enough, keto has been proven successful. Keto has also shown promise in treating patients with bipolar disorder. Again..not that it matters because no one was giving medical advice but I'm assuming that's one of the reasons she decided to consider keto in the first place.

What is someone, who doesn't have access to a doctor, supposed to do? Continue doing what doesn't work or look for alternatives?
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2014
    djcrillz wrote: »
    My Personal Experience:

I'm on a keto diet (in my case, target is <40 net gms carbs per day, protein <95 g) per my doctor's recommendation to treat migraines. I experienced an almost immediate reduction in migraine symptoms. I'm not bipolar (as far as I know) so I can't speak to that, but it certainly seems help calm my "excitable" migraine brain.

In terms of weight loss, in my experience, it is MUCH easier for me to stay in a caloric deficit. I can go longer between meals and I tend to eat less at a sitting. I'm assuming it's because I feel full most of the time from eating high fat/protein and my energy levels are more stable because I no longer rely on carbs to maintain my energy level. I sometimes have to force myself to eat before bed to get to my BMR, and it's very easy to stay within my calorie goal. There are plenty of diets that will put you in a caloric deficit of course, but personally, this just makes it nearly effortless for me.

I have to say, the idea of eating nothing but fatty stuff all day grosses me out, so I try to avoid processed foods or artificial sweeteners, and include at least 2 1/2 cups of low-carb/high fiber veggies per day to make sure I'm getting those nutrients. And I do eat small quantities of fruit as well. However, my carb limit is higher than some other folks that do keto, so it may depend on where you set your limit and how your body reacts.

I definitely don't think this diet is for everyone since it fairly restrictive, but it kills two birds for me (migraines and weight loss) so it's worth it for me. Fortunately, I have found it relatively easy to stick to. However, day 3, I had a bout of nasty muscle cramps at night (watch those elecrolytes in the beginning!!). Since then I have added sodium and potassium to my MFP goals and I try to choose foods high in magnesium. This seems to have corrected the problem but it was extremely unpleasant at the time.

It helps your migraines?? I really would love if it helped with my migraines. I can't take NSAIDs anymore, so I've lately just accepted my fate that migraines would be a regular part of my life. I kind of will be interested to see if it helps that for me.

I am glad to keep hearing positive results in effort and satisfaction on it. Thats part of what I hate about how I have been eating. Its like I never feel full, so I have a nagging stomach until the next time I eat. I might start out carb conscious rather than a full dive in, I am still not sure. I did recently hear about Keto flu and the electrolyte stuff, luckily I will be set on that. I haven't started yet, I want to go shopping first to have what I need so I don't feel tempted to fall back on old eating habits.

Thank you!!!! :)

Yes! I was fully expecting the dreaded "keto flu" and a temporary increase in headaches, actually, but instead I had an immediate and dramatic reduction in migraines. I did experience some electrolyte problems though.

I don't know whether it's the ketogenic diet itself that helped, or that some migraine trigger (like corn) was removed by default with the diet. However, migraines are "related" to epilepsy, so it could be the ketones. But I don't really care why it works. Like you, I can't take NSAIDs anymore, and I don't react well to the prescription migraine medications I have tried. So dietary changes are my best option right now. My migraines went from one or more per week to about once per month, much more manageable. I hope they go away completely over time.

I suppose at some point I may talk to my doctor about adding carbs back gradually to see where my threshold is (or to figure out trigger items), but I am ok with just being stable at this level right now. I am also enjoying the reduced anxiety and easy weight loss, I'll probably ride this train all the way down to my goal weight at least :smiley:

I wish you the best of luck if you decide to try it! I hope you find relief from your symptoms and helpful in your weight management goals.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Bukawww wrote: »
    There are only two solutions to your problem available.

1. You are not actually burning more than you are consuming
    2. There is a medical issue that needs to be addressed by a medical professional.

There are no other options. Really. If you are a human being with human being parts and physiology, science is science. I am a little concerned that you state you have Bipolar but don't seem to be medicated for that. I also think its crap that you feel ok being rude while also asking for help, but qualifying that you only want help that doesn't exist...and then getting upset when the help offered doesn't fit into your parameters.

As for the rude thing, I have little patience on here because whenever I get on the forums I am constantly confronted with people who are arrogant, rude, and offensive. All I wanted was people's personal experiences with Keto. I didn't want medical advice, I wanted things like "I found keto effective because _____" or "I found keto ineffective because _____" as well as "While doing keto I found _______ helpful" or "This site/post/etc has tips/advice/recipes for making the change". Do you see what I mean? And the only real reason I gave my medical stats was because on the off chance someone commenting had similar issues they could tell me how Keto worked for them, and if it had any effect on their issues. Instead, I knew I was in for people commenting information I didn't need, telling me I was doing things wrong (like the person who didn't bother to read my post and do the math and said I wasn't creating a deficit. I have been making a deficit of nearly 1000 calories a day, averaging out at nearly 2 lbs expected weightloss per week. And yes, I have a scale and yes I tracked everything. Every single thing.) Its come down to now I avoid the forums because I know very few actually read the whole post and a ton will comment without any information I was actually looking for and it all leaved me annoyed and stressed out. Now and then I post regardless, thinking it will be different, and it never is. So yeah, I was pessimistic when I typed it up and wanted to make it clear I didn't want anyone who didn't have something to say about their experiences with keto commenting. Yet as expected, they did anyway. And as expected, I am treated like an idiot.
    Well then don't you think it would have been more effective to have just asked the simple question "What are your experiences following a keto lifestyle?....verse being rude in your OP and giving all this miscellaneous information and not expecting the responses that you are getting?

If you didn't want any comments relating to medical attention, then you should not have posting the long a** OP for such a simple question.

You are not any better, then those people that you speak of.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member

Again, She asked about personal experiences with keto. She did not ask anyone to manage her health conditions. She mentioned the conditions in case someone else here had similar issues.

Not that it matters but as far as I know... people with Bicuspid Aortic Heart Defect need to keep their blood pressure low and eat a diet that will help with cholesterol and overall heart health.. Which crazily enough, keto has been proven successful. Keto has also shown promise in treating patients with bipolar disorder. Again..not that it matters because no one was giving medical advice but I'm assuming that's one of the reasons she decided to consider keto in the first place.

What is someone, who doesn't have access to a doctor, supposed to do? Continue doing what doesn't work or look for alternatives?
    Then she should not have posted her medical background in the OP and just asked that simple question. The responses would have been much more to her liking.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    KylaDenay wrote: »

2. There is a medical issue that needs to be addressed by a medical professional.

There are no other options. Really. If you are a human being with human being parts and physiology, science is science. I am a little concerned that you state you have Bipolar but don't seem to be medicated for that. I also think its crap that you feel ok being rude while also asking for help, but qualifying that you only want help that doesn't exist...and then getting upset when the help offered doesn't fit into your parameters.

As for the rude thing, I have little patience on here because whenever I get on the forums I am constantly confronted with people who are arrogant, rude, and offensive. All I wanted was people's personal experiences with Keto. I didn't want medical advice, I wanted things like "I found keto effective because _____" or "I found keto ineffective because _____" as well as "While doing keto I found _______ helpful" or "This site/post/etc has tips/advice/recipes for making the change". Do you see what I mean? And the only real reason I gave my medical stats was because on the off chance someone commenting had similar issues they could tell me how Keto worked for them, and if it had any effect on their issues. Instead, I knew I was in for people commenting information I didn't need, telling me I was doing things wrong (like the person who didn't bother to read my post and do the math and said I wasn't creating a deficit. I have been making a deficit of nearly 1000 calories a day, averaging out at nearly 2 lbs expected weightloss per week. And yes, I have a scale and yes I tracked everything. Every single thing.) Its come down to now I avoid the forums because I know very few actually read the whole post and a ton will comment without any information I was actually looking for and it all leaved me annoyed and stressed out. Now and then I post regardless, thinking it will be different, and it never is. So yeah, I was pessimistic when I typed it up and wanted to make it clear I didn't want anyone who didn't have something to say about their experiences with keto commenting. Yet as expected, they did anyway. And as expected, I am treated like an idiot.
    Well then don't you think it would have been more effective to have just asked the simple question "What are your experiences following a keto lifestyle?....verse being rude in your OP and giving all this miscellaneous information and not expecting the responses that you are getting?

If you didn't want any comments relating to medical attention, then you should not have posting the long a** OP for such a simple question.

ummmm YAY!!!!!

• aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member

This is quite true.
  • blktngldhrt

Then she should not have posted her medical background in the OP and just asked that simple question. The responses would have been much more to her liking.

She mentioned them in case someone with similar problems stumbled upon her post..as you bolded.

Most low carb posts in the general forum areas are met with some kind of snark regardless of the OPs tone. Look at all of those who found the need to post unnecessary things just because they didn't like her saying that she didn't want to hear to see a doctor and only wanted advice from those familiar with keto. The only people who were rubbed the wrong way by that were those with only negative things to say to begin with.