Blame it on the ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, alcohol

Options

Replies

• nomas616
    nomas616 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who took their time for the practical advise. Keep them coming I am taking notes and doing some research on specific calories for different kind of liquors.

I appreciate the responses.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mike's Hard Lemonade Lite, 109 cals
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Typical person brought up to believe in having zero personal responsibility. *shrug*

No skin off my back. Have fun being in the same exact place, or worse with thinking that being serious about losing weight/being healthy is a weekend retreat.

Blame it on the ah, ah, ah, ah ,ah, alcoholic.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Coffee, water, alcohol
    Daily and in that order

Still losing weight
  • dinosaurtrain
    dinosaurtrain Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just log the calories from the drinks I'm having. I'm not a fan of lo-cal beers, I drink them too fast and they need to be ice cold to taste good. I spend the calories on a couple beers that taste good while drinking slowly (Tripels and English Old Ale). I also, throw in a glass of water sometimes to break it up (or heal my tongue after an especially bitter beer).
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    This thread is going all kinds of fun places...

Anyway, four things and I'm out:
    1. Remember that a shot is 1.5 ozs, not 1 oz. A lot of people get that wrong.
    2. Diet soda isn't poison.
    3. I drank 3-4 times a week while losing weight so it is possible... but yeah, moderation.
    4. 1280 calories might be too low for you.

Also, now I feel like having a beer tonight and will hold OP responsible for it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Oh
    Coffee, water, alcohol
    Daily and in that order

Still losing weight
    Hey that's my routine too....I have a bad habit of skipping the water though and going straight to the alcohol after the coffee ;)
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Harunan wrote: »
    gkirk2000 wrote: »
    Look up metabolites of aspartame and tell me it isn't poison.

Read some peer-reviewed studies and tell me it is.

You asked:

http://www.mpwhi.com/peer_reviewed_research.htm

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you don't want to make the commitment to better your health, then don't. But, don't dabble your toe in the water just enough to think you have reason to whine about nothing changing while still touting that you're not really changing at all.

I have been an alcoholic for much of my adult life, especially the last decade, so I know a thing or two about it, and have zero sympathy for people who not only refuse to change, but make a mockery of changing at the same time.

From a fellow recovering alcoholic/addict, this post is spot on

Uh, maybe if the OP were an alcoholic and wanted to stop by cutting down or something, but that's not the case here so it seems actually super weird for sober folks to be even involved in the thread at all, let alone attacking the OP for not having an addiction.

OP: As others have mentioned, use club soda and/or tonic as a mixer, generally clear alcohol or wine, and you'll find far fewer calories being "lost" that way. Don't be like me and do 20 jello shots a day <g>

• librarial
    librarial Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Cutting way back on alcohol has been easier than I thought, but I do still include some in my diet from time to time. I tend to do well drinking bourbon neat. It ends up being pretty low on the scale of calories-to-drunkenness for me (way better than the kinds of beer I like to drink), which means I can have a bit of a buzz on very few calories. If I count up calories from a drunken beer night vs. a drunken whiskey night, I do better on whiskey. (Drink lots of water to keep the hangover at bay!)

I'm also not afraid to order non-alcoholic things when my friends are out having drinks. A dash of bitters can make something feel more like a cocktail without adding significant calories. It sounds cliche, but I can have a ton of fun on a night where I get one or two real drinks, and otherwise drink diet soda, flavored fizzy water, or something like that.

If you want to get f*cked up on a regular basis and lose weight, though, you better start working out hard. You can consume sooooo many calories with a regular heavy drinking habit.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm having a beer right now....Yum.
  • nomas616
    nomas616 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

OP: As others have mentioned, use club soda and/or tonic as a mixer, generally clear alcohol or wine, and you'll find far fewer calories being "lost" that way. Don't be like me and do 20 jello shots a day <g>

I loves it. Thank you.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Oh
    Coffee, water, alcohol
    Daily and in that order

Still losing weight
    Hey that's my routine too....I have a bad habit of skipping the water though and going straight to the alcohol after the coffee ;)

Heh, heh, sometimes I'll add the alcohol TO the coffee :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    actually I am here just to maintain, I drink all weekend, as long as you work out and burn those calories off, its quite easy.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Jesyka_Gee wrote: »
    Here's what I do. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but when I'm out with friends and we are grabbing drinks, either stick to light beer or if you want the hard stuff go for a Vodka Tonic or Gin & Tonic. Tonic is a form of water, which will help with hydration throughout the night and a minimal hang over. This always works for me. My go-to drink is either Grey Goose and Tonic with a few lime wedges or Kettle and Tonic the same way. Hope it works out for you! :)

I haven't read all the way to the end, so I'm sorry if this has been said, but NO, tonic is not water! 12oz of tonic has about 125 calories. Diet tonic has 0 calories, but it tastes like something died on your tongue.

Club soda is water, but it doesn't taste very good with vodka IMO.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    you just have to workout before going out. I successfully drink and maintain. I also drank while I was losing weight. Good Luck

29509743.png

And I find this an ODD approach to it all. but this is why there's many ways to do this.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I'm don't really drink anymore but when I did I only really drank hard liquor so I just switched my mixer to diet soda. Watermelon vodka and diet Mountain Dew, not as great as the full calorie soda but it gets the job done.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    To me: if this is a sustainable LIFESTYLE change.... then the only way to do it is to make it fit your lifestyle. Swapping sugary mixers for clubs soda, drinking less often, drinking less (which would perhaps be easier when one loses weight)... but some of the "earn it" by running, and "earn it" by skimping a day before TO ME are the kinds of things that quickly go by the way side once one hits maintenance. And then one's right back where they were.
    Small sustainable changes.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Plain vodka, soda water, and sugar-free water flavor stuff. Fewest calories I can find.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    wow. I see we have the "diet soda is poison" and the "you're an alcoholic" crowds, but i didn't see the "what is considered water" argument coming. Interesting twist.

10/10 - would read again.

I always mix my drinks with diet versions of soda or juice or water. I have a friend with Type 1 diabetes and he told me that if i mixed with drinks with no sugar then it would reduce my hangover because part of what dehydrates you is the sugar in regular soda mixers. Seems to work well on the rare occasion that i do drink liquor in excess.