To Keto, Or Not To Keto: That is the question.

Options

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    miamouse3 wrote: »
    Go talk to your doctor. You have medical conditions that need to be managed properly and not by a bunch of people online. We are not qualified to help you manage your illnesses.

Hey sweet pea, I don't want you to play my Doctor. I asked about KETO. My stats are on there only for the purpose of anyone who has similar issues and have tried keto, so if they see or comment they could possibly post information specific to it. Thanks for being a redundant jackwagon.

Lulz, because you said you can't lose in a deficit someone gave you the advice to see a Dr, and this is how you come back to them....

Probably because she has already specified in her original post that she knew she needed to see a doctor and will when she can. She is looking for other people's experience with keto not for advice on how to manage her medical conditions.

Well, since we are not medical professionals we should not be giving advice to someone who has serious medical conditions that need to be handled carefully.

Again, She asked about personal experiences with keto. She did not ask anyone to manage her health conditions. She mentioned the conditions in case someone else here had similar issues.

Not that it matters but as far as I know... people with Bicuspid Aortic Heart Defect need to keep their blood pressure low and eat a diet that will help with cholesterol and overall heart health.. Which crazily enough, keto has been proven successful. Keto has also shown promise in treating patients with bipolar disorder. Again..not that it matters because no one was giving medical advice but I'm assuming that's one of the reasons she decided to consider keto in the first place.

What is someone, who doesn't have access to a doctor, supposed to do? Continue doing what doesn't work or look for alternatives?
    Then she should not have posted her medical background in the OP and just asked that simple question. The responses would have been much more to her liking.

She mentioned them in case someone with similar problems stumbled upon her post..as you bolded.

Most low carb posts in the general forum areas are met with some kind of snark regardless of the OPs tone. Look at all of those who found the need to post unnecessary things just because they didn't like her saying that she didn't want to hear to see a doctor and only wanted advice from those familiar with keto. The only people who were rubbed the wrong way by that were those with only negative things to say to begin with.
    Not one of those people were rude to OP. She was rude in her original OP and she was rude to the first responses when she said "Did you read my post?" Come on now. You can say what you want, but the only person in this thread who has been rude is the OP and you get what you ask for.

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Go talk to your doctor. You have medical conditions that need to be managed properly and not by a bunch of people online. We are not qualified to help you manage your illnesses.

Hey sweet pea, I don't want you to play my Doctor. I asked about KETO. My stats are on there only for the purpose of anyone who has similar issues and have tried keto, so if they see or comment they could possibly post information specific to it. Thanks for being a redundant jackwagon.

Lulz, because you said you can't lose in a deficit someone gave you the advice to see a Dr, and this is how you come back to them....

Probably because she has already specified in her original post that she knew she needed to see a doctor and will when she can. She is looking for other people's experience with keto not for advice on how to manage her medical conditions.

Well, since we are not medical professionals we should not be giving advice to someone who has serious medical conditions that need to be handled carefully.

Again, She asked about personal experiences with keto. She did not ask anyone to manage her health conditions. She mentioned the conditions in case someone else here had similar issues.

Not that it matters but as far as I know... people with Bicuspid Aortic Heart Defect need to keep their blood pressure low and eat a diet that will help with cholesterol and overall heart health.. Which crazily enough, keto has been proven successful. Keto has also shown promise in treating patients with bipolar disorder. Again..not that it matters because no one was giving medical advice but I'm assuming that's one of the reasons she decided to consider keto in the first place.

What is someone, who doesn't have access to a doctor, supposed to do? Continue doing what doesn't work or look for alternatives?
    Then she should not have posted her medical background in the OP and just asked that simple question. The responses would have been much more to her liking.

She mentioned them in case someone with similar problems stumbled upon her post..as you bolded.

Most low carb posts in the general forum areas are met with some kind of snark regardless of the OPs tone. Look at all of those who found the need to post unnecessary things just because they didn't like her saying that she didn't want to hear to see a doctor and only wanted advice from those familiar with keto. The only people who were rubbed the wrong way by that were those with only negative things to say to begin with.

I disagree. OP was rude right from the start. I felt my blood pressure going up just reading her comments...and I was quite surprised at the good natured people who were still giving her advice. I would not have wasted my time.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

If you didn't want any comments relating to medical attention, then you should not have posting the long a** OP for such a simple question.

You are not any better, then those people that you speak of.

This.

The health issues you listed are very serious, and you should not be relying on advice from unqualified people, especially if you are not currently taking medication to control them and doing this diet without being closely monitored by a medical professional.

I'm sorry you feel that someone stating an opinion you don't want to hear is viewed as "being treated like an idiot", but to not speak up when someone could potentially harm themselves is not something I typically do. Posting in a public forum means that what you write is open to public scrutiny, and you don't get to dictate what others may have to say. I have not, to my knowledge, violated the forum rules in anything I have posted in this thread either.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

I disagree. OP was rude right from the start. I felt my blood pressure going up just reading her comments...and I was quite surprised at the good natured people who were still giving her advice. I would not have wasted my time.
    Yes this!! I have been reading this thread for the past 2 days wondering why people are even responding to her. I had nothing to add, since I have no experience with the keto lifestyle, but the smart mouth and ignorant responses is uncalled for.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You can't give someone margarine and insist it's butter.

You just made my point.

The difference between Keto and phase I Atkins is more akin to the difference between ice cream and gelato.

Your margarine/butter reference is hyperbolic and completely overblows the minor differences between the two.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The OP was rude from the beginning and was obviously looking for group-think justification of the already made decision to go keto.

In 2-3 months, the OP will almost certainly be back here after failing on keto, probably with a different nick, looking for justification to try another quick fix.

Obladi oblada....
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    [
    About Me:
    23 F W: 250 H: 5'4'' 45% BF BMI 42 BMR 1871kcal TOTAL EXP: 2572kcal

You are HUGELY over-estimating your BMR (and therefore TDEE).

You will fail at keto, too, unless you fix the underlying errors.
  • otherowl
    Options
    This is my first post on this forum but I did want to give you my personal experiences so far, Mia. I'm calorie counting while following HFLC. I've been slowly edging my carbs down since late September and finally took the full blown plunge six days ago. All I've been telling my husband since is how much better I feel! Not having to deal with chronic hunger and subsequent food obsession is such a relief! My entire GI tract is much happier, too (I've had a touchy stomach that can be punctuated with IBS/C ever since I developed gluten intolerance in my early 30s). And as I see it, it's actually a less expensive WOE in the long run. High quality/healthy fats, nuts and cheeses are initially pricey but are so nutritionally dense that they last longer, meanwhile you're consuming fresh veggies and meats, but in significantly lower amounts.

I really think I could happily eat this way for the rest of my life. If I keep feeling this good physically and mentally I'm sure of it. I just wish I'd tried this a long time ago. Part of my hesitation was all the "conventional wisdom" and warnings of how dangerous eating ketogenically is! I've discovered that a lot of these warnings come from people who have no idea what they're talking about, they're just perpetuating dietary misinformation or giving you info based on their bodies. The fact is, the diet, being nearly 100 years old, has probably been studied more than any other WOE and time and again has been proven safe, effective and even healthy over the long term.

I've chronically had high cholesterol despite eating first lacto/ovo vegetarian (then my total cholesterol was 275) and now low fat/low cholesterol/low sat fat (last test total cholesterol was over 300). I have bad reactions to even OTC cholesterol lowering products (red yeast rice) so it's a guarantee the prescription stuff will drop me. Heart attacks at a young age run very strong in my family. So I got that nagging on the back of my mind. I cannot physically exercise like I used to, I have DJD, OA in both knees and hips, and RC tears in both shoulders. I used to be very, very active, serious weight training, lots of cardio, I can't do it anymore. I need to bring my weight down for my health and joint comfort but with a perimenopausal metabolism in addition to a recently diagnosed low thyroid (which is being treated, but that doesn't make weight drop magically), pfffft. I could eat so little I was losing weight slowly (OMG, slow, we're talking glacial) but I also felt like I was hungry nearly 50% of the time I was awake! I was going to bed fantasizing about cheeseburgers and pizza and I don't even eat that stuff!!! Now I can literally take or leave eating and when I do eat I'm not bolting most of my meal ravenously. And to top everything off my chronic low grade depression/anxiety has lifted! That's worth the price of admission alone! Naysayers can go pound sand, I feel the best I've felt in years if not more than a decade.

If I wasn't living it, tho, I swear I'd never believe it. The doctrine of fat = evil, eat the USDA food pyramid is that deeply rooted, and I consider myself exceptionally liberal minded.

You have to measure, you have to weigh, you have to restrict but it's nothing more than you'd have to do with any other calorically restricted diet. Yes, some people can lose weight by increasing their activity and changing their food sources, dumping the soda, laying off fast food, etc., but I didn't eat that crap to begin with. I gained weight eating lean protein, brown rice, broccoli and flax oil. It was actually realizing that eating brown rice, same calories as broccoli, caused a weight loss stall that made me think about cutting the carbs way down.

Go for it, the worst thing that can happen is it doesn't cut it for you and it may help your anxiety (I have mild anxiety, too).
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If you are not losing right now, then you are not eating in a calorie deficit. So if you do keto and continue to eat above maintenance you will not lose weight. All Keto is, is another method/strategy/etc to create said calorie deficit. I would personally rather enjoy all the food groups and lose weight, rather then restricting an entire food group because someone deems it "bad"…..

how many calories a day to do you consume?
    do you weigh/log/measure everything bit of food?
    can you open your food diary?

Did you read the post? I put in my info and I let MFP do the calculations. When I was sedentary, I ate about 1,200. When I got a job where I spend much of my night cleaning, I switched to lightly active and it told me to eat 1,600. There is a definite deficit. Again, I'm not an idiot. There was more than a 20% deficit. I had a 1000 calorie deficit for a very long time. I shortened it to 500 incase I was going too low or something, and I even did some stupid rotation my trainer suggested of going 1800 two weeks, 1700 two weeks, continued til I got to 1400 and holding there before cycling back up. I've been doing all the conventional tricks of the trade for years.

Please read the post next time.

By the way, Keto is about getting your body to use fat instead of glucose, and the less carbs and glucose you have the less insulin you produce and its a long story. I suggest you go look it up since you are commenting on it without knowing.

Carbs are okay, its called eating LESS carbs, which is fine. I would rather eat more cheese and less pasta. I would rather get to actually put butter in my food and use mushrooms in place of bread. If I didn't think I could live without carbs, I wouldn't consider it.

Where in your original post does it state how much you were eating? All you stated was your stats.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    well this is going well.

Also, OP if you seriously have that many health problems then I would not make any changes in my diet before consulting my regular physician.

Just saying.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    well this is going well.

Also, OP if you seriously have that many health problems then I would not make any changes in my diet before consulting my regular physician.

Does telling someone to seek medical advice qualify as giving medical advice?

:drinker:
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    s_pekz wrote: »
    well this is going well.

Does telling someone to seek medical advice qualify as giving medical advice?

:drinker:

Quite the thinker you are today :smirk:
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

You just made my point.

The difference between Keto and phase I Atkins is more akin to the difference between ice cream and gelato.

Your margarine/butter reference is hyperbolic and completely overblows the minor differences between the two.

Hahaha ok. Unsalted vs salted butter. How's that?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

You just made my point.

What is the big difference between Atkins and keto?
  • fatcity66
    Options
    I have been making a deficit of nearly 1000 calories a day, averaging out at nearly 2 lbs expected weightloss per week. And yes, I have a scale and yes I tracked everything. Every single thing.)

The point is, if you can't lose creating a deficit, doing Keto won't help.

• blktngldhrt
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

You just made my point.

What is the big difference between Atkins and keto?

3zipnve3zafa.png
  • blktngldhrt
    edited November 2014
    Options

You just made my point.

Also, I believe the Atkins you were referring to as a form of epilepsy control is a modified version of the Atkins induction phase..also known as MAD. It is pretty much Atkins induction modified to be more similar to keto but with less restrictions.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

You just made my point.

Also, I believe the Atkins you were referring to as a form of epilepsy control is a modified version of the Atkins induction phase..also known as MAD. It is pretty much Atkins induction modified to be more similar to keto but with less restrictions.

They actually called it "modified Atkins", but it's actually just the original Atkins Phase I.
  • fatcity66
    Options

You just made my point.

They actually called it "modified Atkins", but it's actually just the original Atkins Phase I.

Are they both LCHF diets?
  • fatcity66
    edited November 2014
    Options

You just made my point.

It seems like splitting hairs to me...unless you incorporate 1-2 high carb days/wk in your ketogenic diet (carb cycling), which Atkins doesn't do...