Blame it on the ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, alcohol

Options

Replies

• laurashjess
    Options
    bacardi and diet coke...my go to!
    I'm watching carbs as well so I can't do the flavored, though I do enjoy the flavored bacardi with either sprite zero or water with some crystal light.

Bacardi Limon with water and crystal light lemonade is SOOOO good in the summer!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    If you don't want to make the commitment to better your health, then don't. But, don't dabble your toe in the water just enough to think you have reason to whine about nothing changing while still touting that you're not really changing at all.

I have been an alcoholic for much of my adult life, especially the last decade, so I know a thing or two about it, and have zero sympathy for people who not only refuse to change, but make a mockery of changing at the same time.

From a fellow recovering alcoholic/addict, this post is spot on

Uh, maybe if the OP were an alcoholic and wanted to stop by cutting down or something, but that's not the case here so it seems actually super weird for sober folks to be even involved in the thread at all, let alone attacking the OP for not having an addiction.

OP: As others have mentioned, use club soda and/or tonic as a mixer, generally clear alcohol or wine, and you'll find far fewer calories being "lost" that way. Don't be like me and do 20 jello shots a day <g>

The point is, it sounds like she has a drinking problem based on her OP. She admits she drinks excess, but refuses to change because she enjoys it too much.

That was me in college.

OP is 27 per her profile. And yeah, it sounds like me at 20 or so. My calories were all Bud Light and Jack in the Box tacos at 3am.

If she's not willing to alter her drinking habits on some level, and doesn't want a "diet" to take over her life, I'm less inclined to think that she's open to ideas outside of what booze she can drink the most of without totally hosing caloric intake. Which is pretty much "drinking to get trashed" but with slightly less shame when it's logged.
  • squeakybuttcheeks
    squeakybuttcheeks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary. I am allllll about the "skinny" booze life.
  • F1tnessCh1ck
    F1tnessCh1ck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I was originally doing my thing the first time around on MFP, I had given up alcohol, processed foods and sugar for 3 months, dropped the weight and was able to maintain it drinking a bottle of wine (maybe more) every couple of weeks while watching my calories and lifting like a mofo. I mean I worked out HARD!!!

I'd have less calories during the week (about 1,500-1,750 day) and on a Saturday night I went crazy with a bottle of wine (or 2 ;) ) and had about the same to eat so I'd be up at about 2,200-2,400 calories. If you're going to have alcohol, try to not have as many carbs, or any that day. I had an addiction to pizza and beer (so bad!) I dropped it because it was slowing me down. Now, I have that maybe 3-4 times a year at most.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    She said she drinks liquor every two weeks or so. That's probably less than I drink it.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    my ex-fiance's sister showed me this recipe:

water
    vodka
    mio

if you squirt enough mio in there to mask the alcohol and you'll only need 1-2 drinks.

enjoy.

This is similar to what I do. I mix vodka with crystal lite. Cherry vodka with cherry crystal lite, grape vodka with grape crystal lite, etc.

I don't drink very often though, and I hate paying ridiculous prices at bars and restaurants for drinks.
  • KristinJacobsen
    Options
    I agree all sodas are poison to the body over time. Try vodka and soda also with a lime. All brown liquors have a higher amount of sugar in it. Only have four and drink plenty of water in between. Bad news is all liquors get turned into sugar so there is no avoiding it. I give up drinking but two days a month.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree all sodas are poison to the body over time. Try vodka and soda also with a lime. All brown liquors have a higher amount of sugar in it. Only have four and drink plenty of water in between. Bad news is all liquors get turned into sugar so there is no avoiding it. I give up drinking but two days a month.

So "all sodas are poison to the body over time"...

But...

"Try vodka and soda also with a lime."

Are you talking about soda WATER in that second statement?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    If you don't want to make the commitment to better your health, then don't. But, don't dabble your toe in the water just enough to think you have reason to whine about nothing changing while still touting that you're not really changing at all.

I have been an alcoholic for much of my adult life, especially the last decade, so I know a thing or two about it, and have zero sympathy for people who not only refuse to change, but make a mockery of changing at the same time.

From a fellow recovering alcoholic/addict, this post is spot on

Uh, maybe if the OP were an alcoholic and wanted to stop by cutting down or something, but that's not the case here so it seems actually super weird for sober folks to be even involved in the thread at all, let alone attacking the OP for not having an addiction.

OP: As others have mentioned, use club soda and/or tonic as a mixer, generally clear alcohol or wine, and you'll find far fewer calories being "lost" that way. Don't be like me and do 20 jello shots a day <g>

The point is, it sounds like she has a drinking problem based on her OP. She admits she drinks excess, but refuses to change because she enjoys it too much.

That was me in college.

Same and I had a drinking problem in college.

Yeah, I can't say my college drinking was my most shining moment/time in life.

It would take my hands, and feet, your hands and feet, and the hands and feet of a few other folks to count the number of times I went to class three sheets.
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    She said she drinks liquor every two weeks or so. That's probably less than I drink it.

But do you drink 1,300 calories of alcohol in a night a few times a month? The JD also not logged in her diary that I can see. I see is some Stella and wine scattered through there which would be totally normal consumption that pretty much everyone here is talking about. If it's not logged it then only she knows the frequency and quantity.

Also, as I pointed out it doesn't seem that the problem is entirely with her alcohol consumption. She's going over her caloric goal often, and some of the items are questionable - "My Apple - Apple I Like, 1 apple ". She would need to log properly and weigh her food, and I'm going to go out on a limb as assume that would fall into a diet "taking over".
  • arditarose
    Options
    ^^No, but I could. I'm just being annoying. That'd be like...a bottle of wine or so right?
  • arditarose
    Options
    The difference is I choose not to because adulting
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    ^^No, but I could. I'm just being annoying. That'd be like...a bottle of wine or so right?

DH would be carrying me to bed after about 2-3 glasses, so I couldn't tell you. :laugh:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I think I use alcohol as a coping mechanism as opposed to going to a shrink and paying 100 an hour ........
  • PrizePopple
    Options

Okay I did some Googling... 122 calories for a 5oz glass of Cabernet, average of 6 glasses per bottle - so 732 calories for an entire bottle.

Jack Daniels is 65 calories per 1 ounce shot.

So 1300 calories would be about a bottle of Cab. and 8 shots of Jack.

I'd be in the ER getting my stomach pumped.
  • cess3308
    cess3308 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My go to drink is a vodka water with either lime or lemon
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I did more than that on Halloween. I wanted to put someone in the ER.
  • arditarose
    Options

Okay I did some Googling... 122 calories for a 5oz glass of Cabernet, average of 6 glasses per bottle - so 732 calories for an entire bottle.

I might die.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest light beers, but most of them taste like watered down moose urine.

Guinness makes a light version that doesn't taste half bad. Anything creamy or sugary is obviously going to have more calories, but nothing is really going to qualify as "diet-friendly". Binging on 20-calorie shots will still put a dent in your goals.

Otherwise, I'd give you the same advice my mother gave me as a teenager: chase every drink with a glass of water. Makes it easier to pace yourself.

• arditarose
    Options

I might die.

Though if you're drinking liquor, a lot of people mix it with high calorie juices and stuff.